Bolus Gun Tip

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Bolus Gun Tip

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I use an oxytetracycline HCL, 500 mg bolus to treat scours. The barrel on the calf bolus gun will not friction fit the bolus. In fact, it will not fit the First Defense bolus either. The bolus slides out. I have lost a couple First Defense boluses when trying to get one down a newborn's neck.

What I do is put some peanut butter on the bolus. Works perfect. Holds the bolus while wrestling with a calf getting the bolus gun in their mouth.

Will any brand work AND can you use crunchy if that's all you have? :hide: I've been lucky I suppose. Haven't given a bolus in several years.

You can use crunchy, as long as it is Skippy. Lol
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:56 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I must be a high roller, I've got one thats stainless Steel with a spring loaded clip to hold the bolus...bought it along with a bunch of other cattle work instruments from a old cattleman...

You are a high roller! I have a stainless/clear rubber I use to insert magnets but it can be tough on boluses, specifically the First Defense because they're somewhat delicate.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Great info
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks to those who appreciated my Vaseline tip. To the best of my knowledge there's no ingestion harm. As for smearing it on butts to prevent fly strike, even in high temps its viscosity prevails and superior to fly repellant which is short lived. Been there, done that.
The old superior balling gun with spring and/or "soft" tip is sadly no longer made. Thank your lucky stars you have one.
No way would I put my hand down a calf or especially a mature animals mouth sans significant protection.
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm

I hope they don't have any allergy to peanuts Ron. Good idea.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:28 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I hope they don't have any allergy to peanuts Ron. Good idea.

Ken

I wondered about that. My son sure did.
0 x
Diogenes.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Never heard of a bolus gun, but I do have a few balling guns ;-)
If the bolus is too small for one gun, and too large for the next size smaller gun I just remove some of the little fins inside the gun or split the gun so it will spread and hold the bolus. As stated, balling guns are cheap so it doesn't hurt to modify them as needed :nod:
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I have seen them called balling guns but I think the more recent trend is to call them bolus guns. Here is one listed in Jeffers. BTW: this one is spring loaded and interchangeable barrels for different size boluses. I like the cheap plastic. The peanut butter or vaseline works perfect.

0 x
Diogenes.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Huh, it appears that you are correct, there are some Luddites running around the country calling these things Bolus Guns!
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I hope they don't have any allergy to peanuts Ron. Good idea.

Ken

The only thing my cows are allergic too is me,,,touching em...
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I use an oxytetracycline HCL, 500 mg bolus to treat scours. The barrel on the calf bolus gun will not friction fit the bolus. In fact, it will not fit the First Defense bolus either. The bolus slides out. I have lost a couple First Defense boluses when trying to get one down a newborn's neck.

What I do is put some peanut butter on the bolus. Works perfect. Holds the bolus while wrestling with a calf getting the bolus gun in their mouth.

Ron, it looks as though that bolus would nicely fit into the gun if you cut the flared part off. This is what I did to keep my Toltrazuril capsules from escaping.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:I just hold the bolus in my finger tips, press down tongue with my thumb with my other hand, and stick it down their gullet. From new borns to 1800 pound bulls.
Once had my dad hold open a steers mouth, and I went elbow deep to pull out a mass of twine and hay that got plugged up.

You're a better man than me! Oh, wait . . . . ;-) :lol:

He is a "younger man than me". Maybe better too. But I can tell you. I have had some 150 pound calves give me a hard time. When they do, about 100 % of the time, I look down and the bolus is gone. Lol

You'd be surprised how much leverage you can apply by depressing the tongue and holding their bottom jaw. It also has an effect like catching a pig with a snout grabber. They pull back, and lock up, then you can hold their head between you knees/thighs. My mom use to do 100 pound calves, when I was younger, maybe it's time you two hit the gym. :lol:
2 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Return to “Health & Nutrition”