Pneumonia!!!

Cattle problems.
Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Pneumonia!!!

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 am

Found a heavy bred 5 yr old cow dead yesterday. Had the vet come out and we did a necropsy on her. Everything looked good, including the full term calf she had. Got to the lungs and there were signs of pneumonia. Vet says it looks like she was trying to calve, and just got down and in distress some. We vaccinate our herds well, always have mineral/salt free choice and check our cattle daily. Our weather has been crazy the past 2-3 weeks with 85+ one day and then Saturday/Sunday we had 28 for the low 35 for the high with rain and ice. Now today it's suppose to be 65. I had beat myself up yesterday, but woke up this morning realizing that we can't always catch every little sign of something wrong, so today's another day and we will hopefully have a new calf or 2 this morning. Hope y'all aren't have any of these issues!!
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Pneumonia!!!

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am

Sorry for your loss, including the calf! We're having the same weird weather swings, coupled with a lot of moisture and I'm checking for snotty noses, droopy ears, etc. daily but primarily the calves. Good reminder to pay close attention to the cows as well.
2 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 am

I did ask vet about running them thru and maybe vaccinating with an antibiotic, as a precaution and he said that the stress of the chute and separating from day and week old calves may do more harm than good. He's probably right, but still puts me on edge now. Cow had no visible symptoms like TC described. Came to the feed truck Sunday, I watched them all eat as I usually do. She was eating and looked fine.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Where the IN vaccines work good: my opinion and not Vet recommended.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear it, but don't sound right...
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Where the IN vaccines work good: my opinion and not Vet recommended.

Actually, my vet said it might not be a bad idea next year during calving; hit 'em with a IN day 1 when I tag & give a First Defense.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Found d another cow yesterday with a little bit of a bloody nose. Vet said odd presentation for pneumonia, but could possibly a anaplasmosis. Said to go ahead and vaccinate the cow with bloody nose with LA300X3 DAYS Just as a precaution. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid at this point?
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm

FYI turned cold and rainy today tomorrow and next 5 days 70s and nice. Crazy weather.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Coosh71 wrote:FYI turned cold and rainy today tomorrow and next 5 days 70s and nice. Crazy weather.

The conditions are right for trouble right now. Two weeks ago Friday when I left here to head to west central OK it was 94. A few days later we had a high in the low 40's. The swings have been very wide. I've heard of some having issues especially those trying to straighten out calves to put on wheat. Have received a lot of good rain. Got water in the ponds and our wheat pasture should get off to a good start. We got down to 28 the other morning. So will be time to start feeding some. I did put out a busted wheat bale for the old cows last Saturday. They like that better than the tough grass. The cows have sure been consuming the mineral.

Hope you don't have anymore trouble. I'm retiring Dec 3rd and will be down there basically fulltime this winter. Think it won't be none too soon the way the winter is shaping up so far and the early predictions.
2 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Yeah Elk,we have definitely had the odd weather. That cold spell you refer to had us spitting snow and then went back to the shirt weather. Our calves are handling it well so far (weaning last group Saturday)... After losing one of my best cows at full term I'm on pins and needles it seems like.
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:22 am

About 4 years ago, I rolled everything over to fall calving to avoid the rain, mud and bad weather of spring. It has no benefits this year. The ground has been muddy almost all spring. I am told that pneumonia is epidemic. So far, I have not had a single case.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 am

I'm also weaning our spring calves Saturday and this is the first time I've been really worried about pneumonia. With the weird weather I already have a couple calves with slightly snotty noses, runny eyes. Gave the steer Sustain III Cattle boluses and the heifer Oxy 500 Calf boluses (heifer wouldn't eat the Sustain) in an attempt to head off potential pneumonia. Have the thermometer & Resflor Gold ready for any calf that looks even remotely punky when we run 'em through the chute. Fingers crossed!!
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Coosh71 wrote:Found d another cow yesterday with a little bit of a bloody nose. Vet said odd presentation for pneumonia, but could possibly a anaplasmosis. Said to go ahead and vaccinate the cow with bloody nose with LA300X3 DAYS Just as a precaution. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid at this point?

Never heard a bloody nose, being a symptom of anaplasmosis...they'll be some blood from upper respiratory ..
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:Found d another cow yesterday with a little bit of a bloody nose. Vet said odd presentation for pneumonia, but could possibly a anaplasmosis. Said to go ahead and vaccinate the cow with bloody nose with LA300X3 DAYS Just as a precaution. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid at this point?

Never heard a bloody nose, being a symptom of anaplasmosis...they'll be some blood from upper respiratory ..

Is it still bloody today? If no other symptoms of either anaplasmosis (make sure her eyes aren't jaundice, gums & vulva nice and pink) or pneumonia, it's very possible she simply got stuck by a stem, limb, etc.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Hey TCchecked her twice and she's good today. I fed and also moved that group over so I could pen the last spring groupto wean their calves. She's fine and I think we will have several new calves by Monday. Y'all know how it is when you lose a perfect 5 yr old heavy bred. You start chanting and praying over coals lol. That about where I've been this week.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”