Pneumonia!!!

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Pneumonia!!!

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Coosh71 wrote:Hey TCchecked her twice and she's good today. I fed and also moved that group over so I could pen the last spring groupto wean their calves. She's fine and I think we will have several new calves by Monday. Y'all know how it is when you lose a perfect 5 yr old heavy bred. You start chanting and praying over coals lol. That about where I've been this week.

Glad she's fine and I absolutely understand! Got the t-shirt. Good luck with weaning!
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks! And sorry for the T shirt
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:13 pm

"Fast" pneumonia is somewhat common in the fall when buying in bred heifers or young cows. Too much total stress. Inter nasal vaccine helps.

DOA calving cows is a new one for me. Sounds like this is not a good time of year for calving?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Steve, we have always calved in the spring and fall. This is our first bit of trouble with these cows. It's been unseasonably cool an wet for our area and then back to hot. Woke up to 3 new calves this morning (including the cow with the bloody nose) so we are looking much better now. Calves look great and mom's are fine. Hopefully this was an isolated deal.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 am

Would be a good time to vaccinate new borns.
1 x
Stocker Steve

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 am

We will typically work our calves in 2 groups regardless of spring or fall born. If we have 10-15 born in a herd we will work them. Then with the later calves are born we pull everyone in and work the new calves. Like our vet said... You probably have the best vaccinated herd around and sometimes things like this happen. Knocking on wood, it's rare for us to lose a calf or to even have sick calves.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Congrats on the 3 new ones! Weaning went well yesterday but did treat 2 for signs of pneumonia; temp a little too elevated, breathing a little too hard & wanted to get ahead of the game. Watching one with a snotty nose but no other symptoms. Poor first calf heifers - nobody ever told them we were going to gank their babies! :cry2:
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am

TC if you are just weaning now, do you keep calves thru the winter or when do you sell?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 am

Coosh71 wrote:TC if you are just weaning now, do you keep calves thru the winter or when do you sell?

Last year we sold at the end of the year but had the check held until Jan (for tax purposes) but previous years we kept them through end of Jan/early Feb. They graze the brome but we keep a bale of junk prairie for roughage & supplement with cubes so they put on a lot of weight. It really depends on the market & aforementioned taxes.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:17 am

I gotcha. We will hold over on wheat when we feel like gambling with the moisture.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:14 pm

TCRanch wrote:Congrats on the 3 new ones! Weaning went well yesterday but did treat 2 for signs of pneumonia; temp a little too elevated, breathing a little too hard & wanted to get ahead of the game. Watching one with a snotty nose but no other symptoms. Poor first calf heifers - nobody ever told them we were going to gank their babies! :cry2:

Hey TC.. Had 3 more calves today... Everyone is healthy and kicking. Sold all my weined calves today at a premium to a previous buyer. Not a bad day
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:49 am

Coosh71 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Congrats on the 3 new ones! Weaning went well yesterday but did treat 2 for signs of pneumonia; temp a little too elevated, breathing a little too hard & wanted to get ahead of the game. Watching one with a snotty nose but no other symptoms. Poor first calf heifers - nobody ever told them we were going to gank their babies! :cry2:

Hey TC.. Had 3 more calves today... Everyone is healthy and kicking. Sold all my weined calves today at a premium to a previous buyer. Not a bad day

Well done & congrats!
One of the steers I just weaned was breathing a little hard, little drool last night. Will have to catch & treat today, probably keep him at the barn a couple days because it looks like rain & swinging temps are back.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am

TCRanch wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:

Well done & congrats!
One of the steers I just weaned was breathing a little hard, little drool last night. Will have to catch & treat today, probably keep him at the barn a couple days because it looks like rain & swinging temps are back.

Not a bad idea at all. Rain today 15 degrees cooler than yeaterday. Then warms back up. Definitely crazy fall weather this your. Hope your calf response well.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 am

Worst weaning ever! I've treated 20 calves for pneumonia, 2 more I'm gonna hit today. Didn't help we got an additional 1.5" of rain last week. Lost one steer. Initially just assumed it was pneumonia but he looked/seemed perfectly fine the day before, wasn't on my radar as one to watch. Finally occurred to me I found him in the middle of a road, right next to a bunch of hedge trees, a lot of blood was coming out of his mouth & my husband pointed out all the hedge apples were gone. Is it possible he choked or suffocated on a hedge apple? Tried to pry his mouth open but it was too stiff, tongue very swollen. Fished around with a screwdriver but couldn't tell much & the smell gagged me. 'Bout ready to lose my shyt! I rarely have to treat a weaner for pneumonia and I'm a little overwhelmed. At least the ones I've treated are responding well.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 am

TCRanch wrote:At least the ones I've treated are responding well.

Favorite treatment is?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Health & Nutrition”