Pneumonia!!!

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Pneumonia!!!

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
TCRanch wrote:At least the ones I've treated are responding well.

Favorite treatment is?

I've been using Resflor Gold. Pros: it already has Banamine in it, quick results, I've rarely had to re-treat, doesn't leave lumps at the injection site. Cons: it's really thick! And 6cc per 100 lbs.

Discussed at length with my vet. Was thiiiis close to getting Zuprevo. It's a little more expensive but only 1cc per 100 lbs, lasts maybe a day longer than the Resflor. But it's similar to Micotil, if you inadvertantly get stuck/nicked/cut by the needle you better head to the hospital asap. No, thanks!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:35 pm

TC - do you vaccinate your calves for anything while they are nursing?
Mine get the Inforce 3 at birth, then vaccinate at 3 months & 4 months. Don't do any at weaning until maybe 3 weeks after. My steers are all gone and did not treat any of them. Our weather has been the same.
Run the heat in the house for couple days, then it gets so hot outside, run the fan with all window open to sleep at night. Crazy wild ups & downs.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Jeanne, newborns get First Defense. The exception is Covexin 8 if they're banded or the dam has a history of heavy milking (clostridial, type D). Covexin 8, Moraxella bovis/bovoculi (custom pinkeye) & wormed at appx 3 months. Covexin 8, Triangle 4+PH-K & worming at weaning. Discussed with my vet last year about potentially using Inforce 3 at birth but since we rarely deal with pneumonia, pretty much put it on the back burner as something not necessary. Contingent on next springs' weather predictions, I may reconsider.

Heat has generally been kicking on at night and I'm throwing open the windows during the day. What is up with this weird weather??
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I didn't get my weaned calves vaccinated on time this year and got some sick ones. Some coughing, droopy ears, snotty noses. Ran the works of them through the chute and filled them with Biomicin. Waited and watched for three days until they appeared good and healthy then gave them their vaccinations.
Next year I'm going to try to be a little quicker on the vaccinations.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Silver wrote:I didn't get my weaned calves vaccinated on time this year and got some sick ones. Some coughing, droopy ears, snotty noses. Ran the works of them through the chute and filled them with Biomicin. Waited and watched for three days until they appeared good and healthy then gave them their vaccinations.
Next year I'm going to try to be a little quicker on the vaccinations.

That's the thing! We generally wean late Sept at the earliest but usually first couple weeks in Oct. Weaned on 10/20 this year. But damned if you do, damned if you don't. One of my crew weaned his 1st week in Oct & ended up with 5" of rain the next day. Cattle is all he's every done and he's never doctored so many calves. Actually used to wean mid Sept but pushed back the start of calving because I was sick of frostbitten ears, tails, etc. Hard to outwit or gamble with Mother Nature.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 am

That is why I double dose with MLV at 3 & 4 months of age. They are super "primed" for whenever I want to wean.
I think the Inforce 3 at birth will only give them protection for maybe 3 months. So that works well with me doing their complete vaccination program at 3 & 4 months old. Knock on wood - it has been working !
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 am

We see an occasional case of "summer" pneumonia when the weather cools off and gets damp. Almost always it is a calf from heifer or a poor milking cow. :nod: So then we have to consider culling the mother, which may be more economical than mass medicating or an additional round of shots.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 am

Vaccination cost is MUCH cheaper than treating (or losing) one calf.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am

All calves looked good this morning but headed back to the vet for yet more antibiotics, just in case, & will end up spending a good $1k on treatment this year. So in this case, vaccination at birth & again at 3 months would have been MUCH cheaper! And yet this year is an anomaly. I may end up switching my vaccination routine by administering the Triangle 4+PHK at 3 months instead of or in addition to weaning. Something else to discuss w/my vet.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm

TC we have had 4 more calves the past few days and a set of twins. Everyone is doing well and real well. It was 88 today and tomorrow 60. Went to feed our penned beef this afternoon and get hasn't touched his food. Automatically ran him thru the chute and doctored him. You are right. This weather is crazy. It's got me nervous as crap and I'm usually on easy Street because of our vaccination program. Unlike other years we have been catching our lil calves and vaccinate them now with a dose of multimin90 just as a kicker. I've never said this before, but I wish it would just get be nice cold already and get it over with!
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:39 pm

I also give Multimin at birth and again at the 3 month vaccination workup.
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 pm

Coosh71 wrote:TC we have had 4 more calves the past few days and a set of twins. Everyone is doing well and real well. It was 88 today and tomorrow 60. Went to feed our penned beef this afternoon and get hasn't touched his food. Automatically ran him thru the chute and doctored him. You are right. This weather is crazy. It's got me nervous as crap and I'm usually on easy Street because of our vaccination program. Unlike other years we have been catching our lil calves and vaccinate them now with a dose of multimin90 just as a kicker. I've never said this before, but I wish it would just get be nice cold already and get it over with!

Yay on the calves! And mama is accepting both twins? Glad you got your feeder in time.

24 total but I haven't had to treat one in 2 days. Pretty sad that's cause for celebration! Side note: I've treated way more steers than heifers, same with some of my friends. Are heifers just healthier?
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 am

TCRanch wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:TC we have had 4 more calves the past few days and a set of twins. Everyone is doing well and real well. It was 88 today and tomorrow 60. Went to feed our penned beef this afternoon and get hasn't touched his food. Automatically ran him thru the chute and doctored him. You are right. This weather is crazy. It's got me nervous as crap and I'm usually on easy Street because of our vaccination program. Unlike other years we have been catching our lil calves and vaccinate them now with a dose of multimin90 just as a kicker. I've never said this before, but I wish it would just get be nice cold already and get it over with!

Yay on the calves! And mama is accepting both twins? Glad you got your feeder in time.

24 total but I haven't had to treat one in 2 days. Pretty sad that's cause for celebration! Side note: I've treated way more steers than heifers, same with some of my friends. Are heifers just healthier?

Well our weather is finally levelling out (55-65). Feeder is doing well, going to run him thru again tomorrow just as a precaution. As for the twins, mom is thinking about taking both. She's favoring one but feeds both so I check them multiple times a day. May have to pull the smaller one. Good question on the heifers... But you know my wife eats and drinks way healthier than me so....lol. could be that kind of deal.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 am

Coosh71 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Well our weather is finally levelling out (55-65). Feeder is doing well, going to run him thru again tomorrow just as a precaution. As for the twins, mom is thinking about taking both. She's favoring one but feeds both so I check them multiple times a day. May have to pull the smaller one. Good question on the heifers... But you know my wife eats and drinks way healthier than me so....lol. could be that kind of deal.

Coosh I got to Ok Friday morning and we made rounds around the cows. The 2nd bunch we fed and checked a calf around 350-400 had Pneumonia. So went to he house to get medicine(Draxxin) and the box was there but the bottle gone. So started looking for some. Fortunately the semi retired vet was going to be 2 miles from us. He gave us Nuflor. He gave us two syringes to give. One large dose we gave Friday and a dose 1/2 of the first we gave yesterday(48 hours later). He mentioned the lumps, knots at the injection site and said it is because some don't get through both layers of skin and give it between the layers. Said it is important to be through both layers. The calf was a lot better yesterday. So hopefully he will be fine now. Everything else looked good knock on wood. We are going to be on the temperature roller coaster this week.
2 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

elkwc wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Yay on the calves! And mama is accepting both twins? Glad you got your feeder in time.

Coosh I got to Ok Friday morning and we made rounds around the cows. The 2nd bunch we fed and checked a calf around 350-400 had Pneumonia. So went to he house to get medicine(Draxxin) and the box was there but the bottle gone. So started looking for some. Fortunately the semi retired vet was going to be 2 miles from us. He gave us Nuflor. He gave us two syringes to give. One large dose we gave Friday and a dose 1/2 of the first we gave yesterday(48 hours later). He mentioned the lumps, knots at the injection site and said it is because some don't get through both layers of skin and give it between the layers. Said it is important to be through both layers. The calf was a lot better yesterday. So hopefully he will be fine now. Everything else looked good knock on wood. We are going to be on the temperature roller coaster this week.

Glad you checked and caught that calf. What symptoms did you see that lead you to know it was pneumonia? And yes the weather is gonna be nuts this week. Back to back 20degree nights with 60 degree days and rain on Weds I believe. We have been catching our new calves when we can and ear tagging, 8 way and multimin90. We haven't been doing this but with this weather I didn't want to wait to work the whole group.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”