Pneumonia!!!

Cattle problems.
elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Pneumonia!!!

Postby elkwc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Breathing fast and hard, some rattling in his lungs, was in slow motion and lagging behind. Just the regular signs I've seen many times. Hopefully the shot yesterday was enough to get him over it.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Up to 26. Re-treated one today because I think I underestimated his weight, didn't give a high enough dosage, and watching another one closely. No physical symptoms but he was a little on the fringe. Ate some cubes when I checked this morning but had no interest this afternoon. Another enormous steer I think I underestimated his weight/dosage for the initial shots. At least all the others have responded & look/act great! Now my main concern is the front coming in Thursday evening with temps dropping down into the 20's, rain & snow. Great.

That said, there's one steer I have yet to treat, zero symptoms, totally healthy. And yet he's been through the chute 5 times & keeps coming back for more. Seems he always ends up in the corral with the ones I'm truly after and when I'm trying to sort/push one into the trap he's totally on board. Actually makes it easier because "follow the leader". My husband runs the head gate & I keep having to yell "Oakley's first, run him through!" Of course if he does end up getting sick you know that party will come to a screeching halt & he'll be a bytch to catch.

I've never been a big believer in Murphy's Law. Until now. :bang:
2 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Lol TC that's funny, and true. We are calving real regular now with no illness or issue. HOWEVER... That fronts gonna hit us too, and will bring trouble I'm afraid. Good luck with your lil ones
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Vaccination cost is MUCH cheaper than treating (or losing) one calf.

Some large dairy calf growers will give inforce 3 to calves three times from week 1 - 500 lbs as cheap insurance.

Each day of calf hood pneumonia lowers 1st lactation milk production 200 lbs.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”