alisonb
GURU
GURU

Antimicrobial Resistance

Postby alisonb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 pm

The future of antibiotics looks glum :???:

https://academic.oup.com/af/article/8/2/30/4979807
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Re: Antimicrobial Resistance

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:25 am

I am of a mind that in agriculture, the use of bacteriophage as a treatment could be very effective. I am not sure if it is even being looked at. The old USSR did a lot of work in this area. The most notable being in the Republic of Georgia. These scientists were doing this work decades ago, but the popularity of antibiotics, along with their obvious effectiveness, pushed this technology to the wayside. For example, they have shown great results on burn victims...whereby they embed bacteriophage into the bandages and it keeps the burn wounds from getting infected. There are also internal cocktails that can be taken to cure other infections, etc. There are some start up companies in the US and Canada that work on these technologies, and have been successful. Intralytix is a company that markets phage technology to sterilize surfaces in meat processing facilities. Basically bacteriophage means bacteria eater...they are viruses that infect bacteria only. They are ubiquitous in nature and highly specific for their target bacteria.

Maybe this technology is being developed for agriculture, I don't know, but I think it is highly promising and worth a try. Full disclosure, I have years of work in this area, and have been to the Republic of Georgia to talk with their scientists. Time will tell I guess.

Tim
4 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”