Baby Calves and Buzzards

Cattle problems.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Baby Calves and Buzzards

Postby Ky hills » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Plenty of buzzards here - both turkey and Mexican. I watch closely, but have not had an issue(yet) with them attacking calves or cows calving. We do remove placenta if we find it or the cow doesn't eat it pdq.
But... some days, early on during the calving season, they mob up and spend the bulk of the day sailing in and out, walking around the pasture eating calf poop. The cows mostly just ignore them.
But... let a cattle egret sail in and alight... they'll chase that sucker right out of the pasture. Several years back, they caught a great blue heron that was, I guess, fishing one of the stock tanks, and was too slow getting up in the air... and trampled him to death.

Those blue herons are slow even when they get up in the air flying, watched one take off and fly and wondered how they can just looks illogical to me. I found one dead on a pond bank, part on the ground and part in the water, I figured that a turtle got a hold of it. We have had some trouble with buzzards in years past, and always a concern that I have. They seem to always be around like you say earlier in the year there were a lot more flying around, now just see one or two flying high up. The ones earlier would swoop down close to the ground and go back up, and sometimes several would be walking around on the ground, I went several times to see what they might have been after, but didn't see anything.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Last year was the first year we've ever had fall calving. We never had issues with buzzards up until then. Had to stop banning our bull calves at birth because of them. That greatly reduced the problem. The buzzards would attack their sacks.
0 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:Baloney....
A dead buzzard will only attract other buzzards. They will eat the he// outta their own.

I ask the guy who has the Angus farm if he tried hanging up the dead ones. He said they were landing on top of the fence posts where he hung the birds. It don't work here!!!

Really? I've seen it work here. Not supposed to shoot them , but Put up a pole with some wire and some stupid buzzard will fly in and get tangled and hang himself.
1 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:58 am

Lucky_P wrote:Plenty of buzzards here - both turkey and Mexican. I watch closely, but have not had an issue(yet) with them attacking calves or cows calving. We do remove placenta if we find it or the cow doesn't eat it pdq.
But... some days, early on during the calving season, they mob up and spend the bulk of the day sailing in and out, walking around the pasture eating calf poop. The cows mostly just ignore them.
But... let a cattle egret sail in and alight... they'll chase that sucker right out of the pasture. Several years back, they caught a great blue heron that was, I guess, fishing one of the stock tanks, and was too slow getting up in the air... and trampled him to death.

What kind of cattle?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:10 am

Talking about buzzards. We have always had red headed buzzards here. They are a good scavenger. But, this fall, everytime I have a cow even "thinking" about going into labor, buzzards have been circling our field. Can they smell?
During one of my trips up into the field to check a calving cow, I noticed a group on the ground and then noticed 3 others in a different area. The big group had red heads - the other 3 had BLACK heads. Is that what you call a black buzzard?
Sure hope not, don't want predator vultures around here.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Talking about buzzards. We have always had red headed buzzards here. They are a good scavenger. But, this fall, everytime I have a cow even "thinking" about going into labor, buzzards have been circling our field. Can they smell?
During one of my trips up into the field to check a calving cow, I noticed a group on the ground and then noticed 3 others in a different area. The big group had red heads - the other 3 had BLACK heads. Is that what you call a black buzzard?
Sure hope not, don't want predator vultures around here.

Buzzards have a keen sense of smell and eyesight.

The the Black Vulture's head is slate colored:
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:27 am

i went a research farm in eastern oh a few months ago. they had hundreds of them. They said when they tagged the baby sheep they would fly in to the pen WITH the people right there and kill them. They had to switch to indoor lambing because they were killing them all.

they finally got approval to kill *2 birds.

here, we had the red headed ones which i don't mind. the black ones came in and killed all the red ones.. I was mowing them in the pastures.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:34 am

I just went to a meeting a few nights ago that the these vultures were addressed. We have at least a couple of cattlemen in my area that has lost some calves to them. I saw a couple different looking birds about two months ago that I thought could be blacks, but I am not certain. The guy there telling about the process, already mentioned earlier in the thread, was from usda. The permit comes from usfws. The 100 buck "processing" fee is like salt in a wound to someone that's had kills. They are getting paid regardless, what's some "paperwork" on the computer to them. More bs. SSS
4 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:54 am

The red heads are not aggressive and not really a problem. The black heads are bad and the mexican black and white vultures are the worst. The wife hit a blackhead yesterday with her car.

They see and smell with a crazy good ability. They also seem to know which farms are having lots of calves and come around daily. I hate them with a passion. I wish I had a shotgun with a 300 yard range. They seem to know mine won't reach out more than about 60.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Well, mine are definitely not the Black Vultures, but sounds like the black headed are not good ones. The red headed are good for the environment. They clean up all the carcasses.
I just never had them circling calving cows like that.
0 x

SIMMGAL
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SIMMGAL » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:16 am

Heard the other day that one of the neighbors found a few bald eagles eating a calf they had killed. Something tells me that getting a kill permit for eagles would be pretty darn hard to do.

We have noticed buzzards eating calf waste here for years, especially when they get the runs. More power to em! :lol2:

Years ago we found a calf who had its eyes plucked out by black-headed vultures. Fortunately we've been lucky since. The pinks don't bother them much at all, I don't mind them around.
0 x
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

SIMMGAL wrote:Heard the other day that one of the neighbors found a few bald eagles eating a calf they had killed. Something tells me that getting a kill permit for eagles would be pretty darn hard to do.

We have noticed buzzards eating calf waste here for years, especially when they get the runs. More power to em! :lol2:

Years ago we found a calf who had its eyes plucked out by black-headed vultures. Fortunately we've been lucky since. The pinks don't bother them much at all, I don't mind them around.

Bald Eagles do not kill. Only thing would be fish. They were eating something already dead.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
SIMMGAL wrote:Heard the other day that one of the neighbors found a few bald eagles eating a calf they had killed. Something tells me that getting a kill permit for eagles would be pretty darn hard to do.

Bald Eagles do not kill. Only thing would be fish. They were eating something already dead.

Not sure about that. They have hauled off cats and small dogs - alive - that I have seen on TV
3 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:47 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:

Not sure about that. They have hauled off cats and small dogs - alive - that I have seen on TV

Jeanne, let me rephrase my statement. Bald eagles will catch small animals and birds when fish or carrion have became unavailable. I still stand by me statement that they will not kill a calf. Sure they will eat it after it's dead.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I will have to agree more with Jeanne on the bald eagles. I have watched them come in and carry off live hens when I was running free range layers. Lost 123 that year and that is when I finally gave up free range layers. I know a few were gotten by the fox that had a den but I made sure that they were let out later in the morning and locked up in the evenings and that stopped. I watched them come in and swope down and pick up hens several times. The Eagle actually dropped hens 2 different times in a neighbors yard and came back to grab it back up. They took pictures to prove to me that it really was an eagle.
I also had a young immature eagle hanging with a group of the black buzzards for about a month when I was running the layers, and the first calf heifers were calving. I spent HOURS up there at pasture when they were calving. The eagle challenged me when I went to go into the converted trailer- made into a mobile laying coop- and it had a chicken dead on the ground eating it. Thinking at first it was a buzzard, I went to chase it off, and then when I got close, realized it was not a buzzard but a young eagle. It spread it's wings at me and dared me to try to take away it's meal. The chicken was already dead. I did not have my .22 or it would have been SSS. I'm not saying it would have gone after the newborn calves, but I honestly would not have been surprised. They are so hated in this western part of Va., they are called "white headed buzzards" by many. They have been seen getting baby lambs in Highland county, they hate the eagles out there.
I realize they all have to eat, and I did not begrudge an occasional chicken killed, but to systematically take one nearly everyday, was just too much. They are opportunists, just like the buzzards. There are not much as far as bodies of water that would support a population of eagles, but they are nesting in this area and have adapted to not relying on fish but to take other small animals.

Yes, buzzards do have a highly developed sense of smell. I believe they are the only bird that does.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”