Calf with contracted tendons.

Cattle problems.
User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9882
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby slick4591 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Mine took at least a couple of weeks to get over it. The fact that you can't catch it is a good sign. And no, don't ship mom just because of this because she may never have another with this problem.
3 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7843
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9481
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:14 pm

This cow should not have caused you any grief, unless you had to help it nurse. Just because your wife wants to do therapy on it, shouldn't impact the cow. I have had tons of them over the years - benign neglect works great. Not the cows fault.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7783
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


Make sure your mineral is chelated. That assures that it is bioavailable. Why does everyone focus on MAGNESIUM? It is important but no more so than copper, selenium, zinc, manganese, etc. Minerals are essential for normal body functions.

I cannot see a justification for culling based on contracted tendons.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2901
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby bball » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


Make sure your mineral is chelated. That assures that it is bioavailable. Why does everyone focus on MAGNESIUM? It is important but no more so than copper, selenium, zinc, manganese, etc. Minerals are essential for normal body functions.

I cannot see a justification for culling based on contracted tendons.


My FIL has a cow that has had 3 or 4 calves with contracted tendons. Interestingly, she is a lone wolf. Stands off from the herd, never comes for pellets, and we have never seen her at the mineral feeder(he watches his cows pretty close too.)
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7783
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm

bball wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


Make sure your mineral is chelated. That assures that it is bioavailable. Why does everyone focus on MAGNESIUM? It is important but no more so than copper, selenium, zinc, manganese, etc. Minerals are essential for normal body functions.

I cannot see a justification for culling based on contracted tendons.


My FIL has a cow that has had 3 or 4 calves with contracted tendons. Interestingly, she is a lone wolf. Stands off from the herd, never comes for pellets, and we have never seen her at the mineral feeder(he watches his cows pretty close too.)


That could be the correlation with the calves with contracted tendons! As you know Brad, minerals like copper, zinc, selenium, etc are critical structural inorganic atoms in otherwise organic compounds. Many enzymes and metabolic catalysts have Iron as a structural inorganic atom in an otherwise organic compound - hemoglobin is one of the classic examples. If you are low in Iron, you lack adequate hemoglobin and are declared to be anemic.

Same way with muscles and tendons. If that cow is not availing herself of minerals, the calves are coming into the world at a disadvantage.

Having said that, Most contracted tendons are due to the physical constraints of the uterus and are more pronounced in larger calves. The calf I had this year with CT was not a mineral deficiency. He was just big.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Redgully » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


I tend to agree in a way. So many cows need to be culled a year and young ones brought in. I always cull ones that have had an issue of some sort wether their fault or not. I still help every cow that needs help but if they need help for one thing or another they become marked as cull when herd size allows.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7843
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Redgully wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


I tend to agree in a way. So many cows need to be culled a year and young ones brought in. I always cull ones that have had an issue of some sort wether their fault or not. I still help every cow that needs help but if they need help for one thing or another they become marked as cull when herd size allows.

That's the way I see this cow, I have some jam up heifers that I'll keep before I sell them cheap. I'm sure not going to blame the contracted tendons on the calf. This is the first calf that we've had with contracted tendons in over 500 calves. Common sense tells me if it was a mineral issue we'd of had more issues.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7783
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Redgully wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.


I tend to agree in a way. So many cows need to be culled a year and young ones brought in. I always cull ones that have had an issue of some sort wether their fault or not. I still help every cow that needs help but if they need help for one thing or another they become marked as cull when herd size allows.

That's the way I see this cow, I have some jam up heifers that I'll keep before I sell them cheap. I'm sure not going to blame the contracted tendons on the calf. This is the first calf that we've had with contracted tendons in over 500 calves. Common sense tells me if it was a mineral issue we'd of had more issues.


I doubt it is your mineral program. I did not mean to imply that. I was only curious in asking. If this is your first case, it was probably due to fetal position.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7843
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Redgully wrote:
I tend to agree in a way. So many cows need to be culled a year and young ones brought in. I always cull ones that have had an issue of some sort wether their fault or not. I still help every cow that needs help but if they need help for one thing or another they become marked as cull when herd size allows.

That's the way I see this cow, I have some jam up heifers that I'll keep before I sell them cheap. I'm sure not going to blame the contracted tendons on the calf. This is the first calf that we've had with contracted tendons in over 500 calves. Common sense tells me if it was a mineral issue we'd of had more issues.


I doubt it is your mineral program. I did not mean to imply that. I was only curious in asking. If this is your first case, it was probably due to fetal position.

I could see if we were having large calves where there could be issues. Our two dead calves this year were our biggest and the one I weighed was 87lbs. We've had 7 sets of twins and no contacted tendons. I would think that room in the uterus would be an issue with twins?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13641
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Nesikep » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:56 pm

I've only VERY rarely seen it in heifers, it seems like the steers/bulls get it much more often
Image

Image
Image


He must have just gotten up here, it's not showing too bad, but after he's been up a while you can see him get tired
Image


Image
Image
Image
Image
Biggest steer of the year, I'm keeping him over winter.. big lazy guy, all he wants to do is eat, he's round like his momma in the 5th pic
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7843
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 am

Well the calf is finally running around normal. The right hoof was normal for over a week before the left finally decided to get right. The calf is growing great and everything is going good.
6 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9882
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby slick4591 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Well the calf is finally running around normal. The right hoof was normal for over a week before the left finally decided to get right. The calf is growing great and everything is going good.


Good deal!
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7783
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Well the calf is finally running around normal. The right hoof was normal for over a week before the left finally decided to get right. The calf is growing great and everything is going good.


It did take some time but no damage done!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7843
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Calf with contracted tendons.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:28 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Well the calf is finally running around normal. The right hoof was normal for over a week before the left finally decided to get right. The calf is growing great and everything is going good.


It did take some time but no damage done!

I sure had my doubts. A calf walking around on it's tippy toes is something I don't need to see again.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest