Taking Cattle To the Vet

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Taking Cattle To the Vet

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:34 am

I was at a large Vet Clinic yesterday. The producer who bought my Broadway Bull was there with one of his herd bulls - Registered Angus. The bull was emaciated.

He told me the vet didn't know what the bull had without doing tests/cultures. Based on the bull's temperature and condition the Vet suggested he sell the bull for slaughter before he dies.

I did not see them wash the facilities down before another guy pulled in and unloaded. I am sure that happens a lot.

I think it speaks to the importance of having a well vaccinated herd. The bull may have only had hardware disease. On the other hand, he may have had something very contagious.
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: Taking Cattle To the Vet

Postby ez14. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:16 am

The idea of taking cattle to the vet is kinda crazy to me! The vets around here always come out to the farm to do their work. The only exceptions might be for horses or if someone was taking their cow to MSU but taking animals to MSU is not something that a person trying to make money would do (or at least someone trying not to loose to much)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 am

ez14. wrote:The idea of taking cattle to the vet is kinda crazy to me! The vets around here always come out to the farm to do their work. The only exceptions might be for horses or if someone was taking their cow to MSU but taking animals to MSU is not something that a person trying to make money would do (or at least someone trying not to loose to much)

If you don't have facilities, I guess you have to. My vet comes here. It does include a 50 dollar field call.
1 x
Diogenes.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:The idea of taking cattle to the vet is kinda crazy to me! The vets around here always come out to the farm to do their work. The only exceptions might be for horses or if someone was taking their cow to MSU but taking animals to MSU is not something that a person trying to make money would do (or at least someone trying not to loose to much)

If you don't have facilities, I guess you have to. My vet comes here. It does include a 50 dollar field call.
with no facilities how do you get the animal on the trailer to go to the vet?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 am

Vets doing farm calls here is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Closest one to me charges $150 to drive about 20 miles.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Lots of farmers here can load but they don't have a squeeze chute.
0 x
Diogenes.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 am

slick4591 wrote:Vets doing farm calls here is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Closest one to me charges $150 to drive about 20 miles.

Dang. I think it's about $35 dollars when they come here. And if they stop at another farm close by they'll split the trip charge
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am

Bright Raven wrote:

We have a large animal vet he will come out if you have the facilities.
If not don’t bother calling and I am not talking half a$$ facilitates either.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I guess the vets here are just more willing to work with people here because there ain't to many squeeze chutes around here. Lots of cattle worked behind gates and what not
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

what I've seen it involves a vet that knows how to rope..and why you don't see a lot of large animal vet making calls anymore.. Its more work getting them ready to work, than the actual treatment...then the animal so far gone, it dies anyway.. and they blame the vet...
2 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:with no facilities how do you get the animal on the trailer to go to the vet?

I guess the vets here are just more willing to work with people here because there ain't to many squeeze chutes around here. Lots of cattle worked behind gates and what not

That’s a recipe for injury.
There is no need in today’s world for working cattle unsafe conditions.
Especially with the liability that goes with it. The days of snubbing one up to a tree have come and gone.
4 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

That’s a recipe for injury.
There is no need in today’s world for working cattle unsafe conditions.
Especially with the liability that goes with it. The days of snubbing one up to a tree have come and gone.

Please don't tell our vet that, Bob will snub one up in a minute and lay her down in 5. He's a little rough around the edges and a smaller guy but he doesn't back down from anything.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:20 pm

The vet we use primarily does farm calls instead of having folks haul them in. If you don’t have good facilities, they will have you bring them in to a facility they have set up, unless it’s a situation with a down cow in The field, etc. Enough can go wrong if you have a good setup, let alone if you have nothing or broken down equipment to try to restrain them. Not worth the risk to them, and I sure understand that. I’d say the large animal vets in Tn are some of the biggest fans of the Tn Ag Improvement program. It has allowed more folks to be able to afford improvements and additions to their working facilities.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm

last time I had a vet come out here it cost me $500 just in travel expenses

It's also why it was the last time.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Nesikep wrote:last time I had a vet come out here it cost me $500 just in travel expenses

It's also why it was the last time.

:shock: How far did they have to come? That makes the $60 ours charges sound that much better.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”