Taking Cattle To the Vet

Cattle problems.
Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Taking Cattle To the Vet

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Silver wrote:I guess we may be lucky to have the local vets we have. Their facilities are hospitals, and treated as such. It always amazes me how spotless and clean smelling these places are and impresses me how they clean and sanitize constantly.

I got to say, that is not even close to what I saw yesterday. Sadly. And the smell was obnoxious. Wow!

We have 2 large animal Vets here in a town of 2700 people. It's a very rural area (not bush plane rural but...), With the choice we go with one vet alone for several reasons. They deep clean all parts of their facility daily before they go home, will make farm calls ($25), and has a 24 hr e ergency line with a service that calls him immediately. Just can't beat that. Yes he would prefer you bring a single animal into the clinic, but also just this morning said "take some pics and send them to me". Man I'm busy like all of y'all. That's worth something there.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:37 pm

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:The idea of taking cattle to the vet is kinda crazy to me! The vets around here always come out to the farm to do their work. The only exceptions might be for horses or if someone was taking their cow to MSU but taking animals to MSU is not something that a person trying to make money would do (or at least someone trying not to loose to much)

If you don't have facilities, I guess you have to. My vet comes here. It does include a 50 dollar field call.
with no facilities how do you get the animal on the trailer to go to the vet?

I have more than one pasture but only one place has a facility with a shoot to do much doctoring cattle with but the other places has a place to load cattle but not work them. I have a place that is 5 miles to a large animal vet or I can haul them 45 miles to my set up. Money ahead to use vet 5 miles away
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 am

Ron, you are correct. A lot of practices are not desirable but they get away with it. I guess firstly you have to have facilities that are conducive to wash down and drains and sumps to collect the effluent, this all costs money both in the facilities and labor. I don't think cattle are very often brought to the Vet in Australia, it would mostly be horses and a high level of biosecurity is practiced with all the personal protection gear because of the zoonotic disease we have in Hendra virus.

Other practices that warrant scrutiny is the multiple use of needles as you have brought up before and multiple use of examination gloves as in preg testing. Often blood comes out on the glove and then goes into the next beast, can facilitate the spread of BLV (lymphoma virus). These practices are bound to be tightened up soon but the client will have to pay both for the materials and the time involved in changing gloves or needles.

Over here farms are now required to have an up to date biosecurity plan so farmers are much more aware of these things than they used to be. It is not unusual for the farmer to question the practices of professional people.

Ken
2 x

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Redgully » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:46 am

wbvs58 wrote:Ron, you are correct. A lot of practices are not desirable but they get away with it. I guess firstly you have to have facilities that are conducive to wash down and drains and sumps to collect the effluent, this all costs money both in the facilities and labor. I don't think cattle are very often brought to the Vet in Australia, it would mostly be horses and a high level of biosecurity is practiced with all the personal protection gear because of the zoonotic disease we have in Hendra virus.

Other practices that warrant scrutiny is the multiple use of needles as you have brought up before and multiple use of examination gloves as in preg testing. Often blood comes out on the glove and then goes into the next beast, can facilitate the spread of BLV (lymphoma virus). These practices are bound to be tightened up soon but the client will have to pay both for the materials and the time involved in changing gloves or needles.

Over here farms are now required to have an up to date biosecurity plan so farmers are much more aware of these things than they used to be. It is not unusual for the farmer to question the practices of professional people.

Ken

The biosecurity plan was quite easy to do but we had to do Johnes testing with it as being from western Australia we have a jbas 8 level if we tested as johnes isnt present here. We would drop to jbas 6 if we didn't test. What approach did you take and how was the whole johnes issue viewed in your area?
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Most people have just sat on jbas 6. I am doing the 3 yearly check test and am jbas 7. That lets me into the NT and WA I think. WA is very unlikely but the NT is a real possibility, the likes of CPC will come this way and buy bulls at minor sales to go into the Territory.

Ken
1 x

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AdamsCreek » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 pm

snoopdog wrote:Our established vet has a hospital, and very clean but won't come out for less than 150 service call and you have to at least have a head gate. The last couple of times we've called him, either he's not available, or doing sale barn work, so we're pretty much done with him, and have a line on one that's wanting business.

Same deal here. I was using a young guy out of Muskogee. $75 fee last time I could get him out few years ago. Advertises farm call vet in 2 foot tall letters on the side of his truck. Needed him twice the last two months and can’t get him out wants me to haul to his clinic. I give up and started buying drugs from one of the horse racing guys in the area.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:54 am

The boss got the cow with the abcess to the vet Friday, by then she was just pizzed off with the world. She gave the boss an exciting thrill ride over a fence. They got her treated and blocked so she should start feeling much bettter. The boss is still pretty agile for a senior citizen.

Edited to add our vet is very good at keeping his facilities sanitary, we are blessed to have a great one that loves large animals.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm

All this makes me smile thinking of when we first moved to NY from Kansas.
In Kansas (back in the 70's), large animal vets hauled their facilities with them. Had a chute, with panels to make an alleyway for house calls, or you just loaded them up & unloaded at their facilities.
When we moved out here, our daughter had a show heifer that had a bull calf. She left him in tact so she could show them as cow/calf pair. After NY State Fair, I called a vet that had visited her 4-H club. Told them I had a beef calf that needed castrating. Gal gave me a time & date to bring him in.
We only had stock racks at the time. We walked him up into the back of the pick-up & headed to the vets office. when we got there, I couldn't find an unloading area or ramp. So, I finally parked & went inside and said I had an appointment to have a calf castrated, but where was I supposed to unload him? She said, well, the doc will just castrate him out in your trailer.
Hmmmm - I said, "you do realize this calf weighs about 800# ?"
Vet gave him Rompom. My daughter & I tailed him & held him up against the stock rack side, while the vet castrated.

Ken learned to do our own castrations after that.
We have LOTS of large animal vets in Upstate NY, but they are used to dairies. NY is the 3rd largest dairy state. Many probably didn't know that. Vets do NOT like to take on new beef clients. They love my facilities. Which are not fancy, just very functional.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Jeanne

One of the reasons I love this site, hearing about how things are done in other areas of the country. I didn’t realize that New York had that much dairy.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm

HaHa. When I moved here from KS, people asked "how can you possibly find enough land to feed your cows." When people think NY - they think NYC. In Upstate NY, residents would just as soon have NYC a different state. NY's #1 industry is AGRICULTURE. Amazing isn't it!!!
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:HaHa. NY's #1 industry is AGRICULTURE. Amazing isn't it!!!
yes! I'll have to say it is.. :cowboy:
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 pm

The vet I have used for over forty years had a foremost squeeze chute that he pulled behind his vet truck...he wore one out every few years...sold it to a client and got a new one...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:HaHa. When I moved here from KS, people asked "how can you possibly find enough land to feed your cows." When people think NY - they think NYC. In Upstate NY, residents would just as soon have NYC a different state. NY's #1 industry is AGRICULTURE. Amazing isn't it!!!

Upstate NY is really nice and as country as anywhere in the south. The people aren't as friendly as in the south, but they just do their own thing and don't bother anyone.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 pm

We have at least 5-6 vet practices within a 50 mile radius. Most all are mixed large and small animal and then there are several that are just small. Problem is, you have to like the vet; and then when you find one that you really like, they retire, or sell out to a younger one....
Now, I am female, but I have a hard time with some of the female vets because the ones that do the large animals just don't have the muscle to do some of the jobs. And sometimes my son can't be there to help, so then where are you? We have a good chute and alley at the one barn where we have the vet come to most of the time. Our favorite vet retired and is now in his 70's, our next favorite sold his part of the partnership while in his 50's due to some injuries over the years.... We switched to another vet practice, but they are at the 50 mile outer edges so it's more expensive. $125. just to come out. Most will charge by the hour and $100 is common. But they do work pretty fast. Have several dairies in the general area that have gone to this vet practice and so if we can get things scheduled on a day he is going to be in the area we do get a break on the mileage/travel costs.
This vet will also do DA surgeries right in a clean pasture setting. Our favorite retired vet says he is as good as he is, so that's a plus. We can also haul animals to them. Try to have a bunch of stuff to do when they come. I will call the practice to see when they are scheduled to come in our direction, so we can get things co-ordinated. Granted that doesn't work for emergencies....
Vets used to always have a chute they could pull to the small farms that didn't have a good set up but not so much anymore.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 am

I have been fortunate to have great vets for as long as I have had cattle. The one I have now, first started out under "the owner vet" back in ?1985?, but now he owns the business. They have maybe 7 large animal vets, and a couple small animal vets. When you have an emergency, you get whoever is on call. And, when I have routine "stuff" like health papers, sometimes my vet is too busy & I tell them to just set up one of the new ones. So, I have met most of them. All great personalities and very competent.
2 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”