Taking Cattle To the Vet

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Taking Cattle To the Vet

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm

A.J. wrote:
Nesikep wrote:last time I had a vet come out here it cost me $500 just in travel expenses

It's also why it was the last time.

:shock: How far did they have to come? That makes the $60 ours charges sound that much better.

Where Efrem lives?

First, it is a 5 hour flight by commercial jetliner to the nearest commercial airport. Then it is a 2 hour flight by bush plane. Then 2 hours by 4 wheel drive. Then another 3 hours by dog sled.

The vet has to lay over for 3 days before he repeats the journey home. All that time, he lives on a ration of moose jerky and sourdough biscuits.

$500 is cheap!!!
4 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
ez14. wrote:I guess the vets here are just more willing to work with people here because there ain't to many squeeze chutes around here. Lots of cattle worked behind gates and what not

That’s a recipe for injury.
There is no need in today’s world for working cattle unsafe conditions.
Especially with the liability that goes with it. The days of snubbing one up to a tree have come and gone.

Please don't tell our vet that, Bob will snub one up in a minute and lay her down in 5. He's a little rough around the edges and a smaller guy but he doesn't back down from anything.
he must be older guy and part bulldog..the millennial, quit after the first few years..and work the small animals...easier money, and the customers will float a loan over a dog..cattleman cry like newborns when they take out their wallets..
8 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:38 pm

The vet that use the most is in another county, so we try to schedule herd work in advance. In the case of emergency or something minor that comes up with one we will sometimes take it to the local vet office. The last time we went there my wife expressed the same concern as Bright Raven about the sanitation of their working facility.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:17 pm

:cowboy: Well, they don’t stay in business being around a bunch of healthy animals
2 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 pm

I guess we may be lucky to have the local vets we have. Their facilities are hospitals, and treated as such. It always amazes me how spotless and clean smelling these places are and impresses me how they clean and sanitize constantly.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Silver wrote:I guess we may be lucky to have the local vets we have. Their facilities are hospitals, and treated as such. It always amazes me how spotless and clean smelling these places are and impresses me how they clean and sanitize constantly.

I got to say, that is not even close to what I saw yesterday. Sadly. And the smell was obnoxious. Wow!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:39 pm

A.J. wrote:
Nesikep wrote:last time I had a vet come out here it cost me $500 just in travel expenses

It's also why it was the last time.

:shock: How far did they have to come? That makes the $60 ours charges sound that much better.

its a little over an hour each way

Silver wrote:I guess we may be lucky to have the local vets we have. Their facilities are hospitals, and treated as such. It always amazes me how spotless and clean smelling these places are and impresses me how they clean and sanitize constantly.

Our vets hospital is small but really nice.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Redgully » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:23 pm

I am lucky, I have a vet who is next door to a university and training students is a big part of their business. They had to come out once to take samples from my herd and we had to collect manure from 11 animals. Out jumped four students and the vet, I just stood back and students did all the work and no extra cost. Just get call out fee of $60. Another time we had a cow and the calf had a malpresentation needing a cesarean. The vet got me to take her to clinic to use as a lesson for students. They looked after her and the calf all week for free. Their facilities are spotless and only smell of hay and iodine. I guess I am just lucky I am only 40 minutes away or it might be a different story.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:43 pm

I only took any to the vet one time. I found out that I have better facilities than they do. Both of the good large animal vets were out in the field so I ended up with a junior dog vet. It was just bangs vaccinate two heifers. It took me ten times more time and ended up costing as much as having one come to the farm. They have a $40 farm call charge but there was a $20 per head chute charge. One of these heifers was a real witch. I was certain we were going to have a wreck with their loading and unloading facilities but we got lucky.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:Vets doing farm calls here is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Closest one to me charges $150 to drive about 20 miles.

:shock:
$30, maybe 10 miles from the clinic/mobile vet truck.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Call me lucky!! Two large animal vets at our local hospital. It's as clean as possible but sometimes it's hard when their clients are trailer-to-trailer. That said, when we take ours in and there's someone before &/or after, everyone pitches in & helps with the animals, hosing down the facility/chute, etc. Both will make ranch calls, even in the middle of the night. Dr Kip had polio as a child & sometimes it's hard for him to get around but he's gone down in a draw to work one of my down cows & Dr John has worked quite a few of our cows in the barn by simply haltering them even though we have a chute right there. Granted, my cows are very docile but when they need medical attention all bets are off - you just never know.

Having said that, Rod your point is extremely valid! The equivalent of sending your kids to school without their vaccinations. Hosing down the chute/working area of the clinic in between animals certainly helps but obviously isn't completely sanitized and isn't logistical so having your herd fully vaccinated, especially if you're transporting anywhere off the property, is just common sense.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:45 pm

We do both, the vet comes out if we have to give Brucellosis vaccine to the heifers or if we have a large group of bulls to BSE. We also end up hauling animals to the vet, Bulls that have sold that need a current BSE is the main culprit. Tomorrow the boss is hauling one with an abscess, she is going to have to be blocked. We had her scheduled to go Wednesday morning but she had a calf instead. I feel sorry for her I know she is hurting. Our vet charges 75.00 for a farm visit we sure can’t afford that for every bull we BSE.

Gizmom
2 x
Respect give it to get it!

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Our established vet has a hospital, and very clean but won't come out for less than 150 service call and you have to at least have a head gate. The last couple of times we've called him, either he's not available, or doing sale barn work, so we're pretty much done with him, and have a line on one that's wanting business.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:47 pm

I agree about what many have said about sanitation. I often reflect on the old cow vet we had for years that I helped some. He was a large animal vet but did small animals because it was 35 miles to the closest small animal vet. He was a little rough around the edges and a straight talker. He was well respected as a cow vet and clients brought cattle from a large area and he always drove a VW bug. We were talking about him and his sanitation practices recently. As one man said he had him do 4-5 C sections through the years and everyone got ok. He usually gave them a shot in the trailer and then either layed them down on the bermuda grass or would lay a tarp down on the gravel drive way and do it there. He said since this vet went to vet heaven he has had 2 done and lost the cow both times and they were performed in modern, clean, disinfected clinics. I helped him one Saturday morning do a C section on a Char cow that had won Denver. He layed her down on the gravel drive way just like any other cow. Both survived. Here in SW KS our closest vet is 35 miles away. The vet I used retired again. You take who you can get not who you want. And only one does calls of any kind on a Sunday. In west central OK when I went she used an old vet that they had used for years. He is semi retired now. Does some but in his mid 70's. Another vet 35 miles away retired. I only know of one that does country calls. The rest require you to haul them to the clinic. We do almost all of ours now due to that. Used to have the vet out to do pg checks but do it ourselves now. We have a nice hydraulic chute with a cover over it and nice pens so prefer to do it there. I don't see the large animal vet situation in either area getting any better.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 pm

snoopdog wrote:Our established vet has a hospital, and very clean but won't come out for less than 150 service call and you have to at least have a head gate. The last couple of times we've called him, either he's not available, or doing sale barn work, so we're pretty much done with him, and have a line on one that's wanting business.

Best time too use them,is when they need your business...best strike while the iron is hot..they cool down pretty quick...those old haphazard farmers take all the wind out of their sails :cowboy:
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Return to “Health & Nutrition”