safeguard wormer blocks

Cattle problems.
MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

safeguard wormer blocks

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 pm

do they work? im thinking about trying them instead of pouring ivermectin. im in the process of building a new catch pen/working area and i cant really get them in a headgate for the next couple months
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Re: safeguard wormer blocks

Postby sstterry » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:36 pm

The problem with them is you do not know the animal is getting the proper dosage.
2 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 pm

sstterry wrote:The problem with them is you do not know the animal is getting the proper dosage.

yea i was wondering about that, if i put out say 50% more than they actually need would that compensate for it or do some cows just not lick it?
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Do you keep salt and loose mineral out? If so, take it up for about a week, and then put the safegaurd out. Or, get the pellets and mix in the feed. Search is your friend. It's not ideal, but alot of people have had to go through the same thing, compromised facilities, or life's pressures, so we do the best we can. Worming medication isn't always necessary, but it's some of the best money you can spend ,if it is.
3 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm

I vote for the Safeguard pellets mixed with the feed as well. Not the cheapest route but it will do in a pinch.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:11 pm

snoopdog wrote:Do you keep salt and loose mineral out? If so, take it up for about a week, and then put the safegaurd out. Or, get the pellets and mix in the feed. Search is your friend. It's not ideal, but alot of people have had to go through the same thing, compromised facilities, or life's pressures, so we do the best we can. Worming medication isn't always necessary, but it's some of the best money you can spend ,if it is.

yea i keep loose mineral out, ill try that im sure the'll hit the blocks hard after a week without mineral.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:13 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I vote for the Safeguard pellets mixed with the feed as well. Not the cheapest route but it will do in a pinch.

id like to try that but they dont get any feed. if i wean calves then im definately gonna try it on them because they do get feed
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 pm

I used them one time. They sure worked but there are cheaper ways to go. I forget what the advised rate of animals per block was but I know I put out plenty of blocks. 6 or 8 for 40 bred heifers? I spread them out enough to allow lots of room between the blocks.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 am

sstterry wrote:The problem with them is you do not know the animal is getting the proper dosage.

What you have to do is put a warning sign up by the blocks,with big bold writing. so the cattle can read it,and only consume the recommended amount :cowboy:
3 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:28 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:

What you have to do is put a warning sign up by the blocks,with big bold writing. so the cattle can read it,and only consume the recommended amount :cowboy:

The old boss cow was on the wrong side of the sign and ate about a whole block by herself. Last try on that for me. But she was not wormy.
1 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:

My cows all came from Alabama....they can't read! :lol2:
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

The old boss cow was on the wrong side of the sign and ate about a whole block by herself. Last try on that for me. But she was not wormy.

Least she ate it, my boss cow would just stand over it,and dare one to come near it...if she don't eat it,dang sure nobody else going too either ...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 pm

If your concern/goal is to work the cattle just worm them. Unless you have no working facilities, why chance a few cows not getting to the blocks and or getting enough? I'd rather build a panel alley along a barbed wire fence feed inside the alley. Block them in and spray them... 100% wormed
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:38 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I vote for the Safeguard pellets mixed with the feed as well. Not the cheapest route but it will do in a pinch.

id like to try that but they dont get any feed. if i wean calves then im definately gonna try it on them because they do get feed
Will you have your facilities done by weaning time? If so, use injectable or pour on.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:

yea i was wondering about that, if i put out say 50% more than they actually need would that compensate for it or do some cows just not lick it?

Unless you weigh every animal individually it's always a guess as dosage is based on weight. I've used them and yes they work.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Health & Nutrition”