Respiratory Issues....

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 pm

76 Bar wrote:If the ill calves are home raised what is the health protocol of dams prior to calving?

I don't want to speak for Texas Gal but I believe they have a sound vaccination program. As do I. What many of us in the Midwest to the South are dealing with is epic swings in the weather, a literal 40 degree change from one day to the next. Throw in torrential rain/flooding then snow, then sunny with 50 mph wind gusts when it's back to 75 degrees - it's all a recipe for pneumonia on previously healthy calves (and cows). Many of us wean our Spring calves in late Sept/Oct - right when Mother Nature threw us a curve ball this year. I treated 24 weanlings for pneumonia, 2 of them twice and it was a nightmare. I'm fairly certain I made my vets monthly mortgage payment. Fortunately all responded and are now doing great. Until now, I've rarely had pneumonia in any of my cattle but will probably start giving my calves Inforce 3 day 1 along with their First Defense.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:09 pm

TCRanch wrote:
76 Bar wrote:If the ill calves are home raised what is the health protocol of dams prior to calving?

I don't want to speak for Texas Gal but I believe they have a sound vaccination program. As do I. What many of us in the Midwest to the South are dealing with is epic swings in the weather, a literal 40 degree change from one day to the next. Throw in torrential rain/flooding then snow, then sunny with 50 mph wind gusts when it's back to 75 degrees - it's all a recipe for pneumonia on previously healthy calves (and cows). Many of us wean our Spring calves in late Sept/Oct - right when Mother Nature threw us a curve ball this year. I treated 24 weanlings for pneumonia, 2 of them twice and it was a nightmare. I'm fairly certain I made my vets monthly mortgage payment. Fortunately all responded and are now doing great. Until now, I've rarely had pneumonia in any of my cattle but will probably start giving my calves Inforce 3 day 1 along with their First Defense.

TCRanch

I am in Kentucky and our weather has been the same pattern of extremes. I give all my calves Inforce 3 [Intranasal vaccine for Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza 3 (PI3), Respiratory Synctial Virus Vaccine (BRSV)] at birth. I mean within minutes in most cases of them hitting the ground. I truly believe it is a major factor in the health of my calves. I know some very high profile Simmental Breeders in my area that have lost substantial numbers of calves this fall. Obviously, they are much bigger operations than mine and it taxes their resources to manage their cattle like I do mine. But I think you are making a significant improvement in your program by adding Inforce 3. Remember as I know you do, those three respiratory diseases are viral. Thus, the only defense is vaccination as antibiotics are useless.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 am

I would also suggest to give Probias to anything you have treated with antibiotics.
I, too, give Inforce 3 to newborns.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 76 Bar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Its a given the vagaries of Mother Nature wrecks havoc in the best laid plans. Thankful for noninvasive internasal vaccines. I too use probiotics when administering antibiotics.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 pm

TC isn't too far from me. Sunday, we had 60mph wind and 6" of snow. My calves are showing the stress of it now. Their respiratory vaccination hasn't done a lot to protect them. Local animal health store said many are saying the same thing.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:TC isn't too far from me. Sunday, we had 60mph wind and 6" of snow. My calves are showing the stress of it now. Their respiratory vaccination hasn't done a lot to protect them. Local animal health store said many are saying the same thing.

What vaccination did you administer for Respiratory diseases?
1 x
Diogenes.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm

We too give Inforce 3, and I treated 14 of 16 calves on Sunday for respiratory. Resflor Gold works wonders! I treated another one yesterday, 105.6 temp!!! Our weather goes from 15 to 60 in 24 hours, it is super hard on the calves!!!
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 pm

I used Inforce 3 going to grass. Then, Sept 22, they had Vista Once. I lost 2 today. :cry2: One went really fast. I saw him last night just at dark-right at the same time my other half knocked the windshield out of the tractor. I brought him in this morning and gave him Excede. He died about 4 pm. The other one was treated yesterday. Nothing seemed to work on these two. Guess they kept their sickness hidden until it was too late. Today, after seeing how quickly this stuff advances, I got very aggressive treating my calves. If they were by themselves, cough, have their head dropped, anything that catches my attention-they're got an antibiotic and I put them in a different pen away from the ones I haven't had to doctor.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:53 am

We must not have that strain of pneumonia here and I'm sure glad for it, that stuff sounds terrible. We don't vaccinate calves for anything till their a couple of months old and have less than an 4% loss overall in our herd. When it's nasty weather around here I feed the cows corn and put a few rolls of my worst hay out directly on the ground and all the calves will be laying on it.
I always ask myself how did the old timers get by without all this modern medicine and technology? And the weather was as bad or worse, and life or death had real meaning.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:37 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:I used Inforce 3 going to grass. Then, Sept 22, they had Vista Once. I lost 2 today. :cry2: One went really fast. I saw him last night just at dark-right at the same time my other half knocked the windshield out of the tractor. I brought him in this morning and gave him Excede. He died about 4 pm. The other one was treated yesterday. Nothing seemed to work on these two. Guess they kept their sickness hidden until it was too late. Today, after seeing how quickly this stuff advances, I got very aggressive treating my calves. If they were by themselves, cough, have their head dropped, anything that catches my attention-they're got an antibiotic and I put them in a different pen away from the ones I haven't had to doctor.

Thanks for the reply. You got something very aggressive. Hopefully your efforts will save the rest.
0 x
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 am

True Grit Farms wrote:We must not have that strain of pneumonia here and I'm sure glad for it, that stuff sounds terrible. We don't vaccinate calves for anything till their a couple of months old and have less than an 4% loss overall in our herd. When it's nasty weather around here I feed the cows corn and put a few rolls of my worst hay out directly on the ground and all the calves will be laying on it.
I always ask myself how did the old timers get by without all this modern medicine and technology? And the weather was as bad or worse, and life or death had real meaning.

I think with the modern movement of cattle, the more aggressive microorganisms have been more widely distributed.
1 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:22 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We must not have that strain of pneumonia here and I'm sure glad for it, that stuff sounds terrible. We don't vaccinate calves for anything till their a couple of months old and have less than an 4% loss overall in our herd. When it's nasty weather around here I feed the cows corn and put a few rolls of my worst hay out directly on the ground and all the calves will be laying on it.

I think with the modern movement of cattle, the more aggressive microorganisms have been more widely distributed.

Could be or it might be we're raising wimpy whiners not fit for the environment their being raised in. And by nature not culling the weak, and modern medicine they've become dependent on others to survive. We've sure done and allowed that too happen in the human race. Like people there will always be freeloaders, deadbeats and welfare cattle. And the lucky one's might live long enough to make it to SS and Medicare if it's still available.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:

We're trying to import stuff from other countries so we can have even more fun.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Could be or it might be we're raising wimpy whiners not fit for the environment their being raised in. And by nature not culling the weak, and modern medicine they've become dependent on others to survive.

I doubt cattle are any weaker today than they were when my dad raised cattle.

He was born in 1921. Except for service in the US Army during World War II, he always had horses and cows.

Listen very clearly - They DIDN'T cull anything for half the traits we talk about on this forum. Granted, he is only one data point but cattle were not culled on the same scale they are today. Most cattleman at least in Kentucky operated like he did and BTW, they had cattle die then just like the ones here who are losing calves.

It is entertaining to use ANECDOTAL evidence to conversate on but you have no data to argue either way and neither do I.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Could be or it might be we're raising wimpy whiners not fit for the environment their being raised in. And by nature not culling the weak, and modern medicine they've become dependent on others to survive.

I doubt cattle are any weaker today than they were when my dad raised cattle.

He was born in 1921. Except for service in the US Army during World War II, he always had horses and cows.

Listen very clearly - They DIDN'T cull anything for half the traits we talk about on this forum. Granted, he is only one data point but cattle were not culled on the same scale they are today. Most cattleman at least in Kentucky operated like he did and BTW, they had cattle die then just like the ones here who are losing calves.

It is entertaining to use ANECDOTAL evidence to conversate on but you have no data to argue either way and neither do I.

I'm not arguing or debating, just stating a possibility. Animals and people will cull themselves if left to survive on their own. Where do you think that "only the strongest will survive to breed came from" fact is we've bred ourselves and our cattle down compared to our ancestors. Like the 6 million dollar man you can build a bigger, faster and stronger specimen. All it takes is a little time and money.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”