Hay cradle

Cattle problems.
coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Hay cradle

Postby coachg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:00 pm

One of my fellow N Al cattlemen lost a 4 year old cow that was about a month from calving in a hay cradle . Got her head in the corner and evidently fell and broke her neck. Anyone else had a bad experience with hay cradles ? He sent me a pic but you can't really see anything about how she was in it.
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hay cradle

Postby A.J. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:17 pm

I hate that for him. I haven’t had any trouble with mine yet, but that could always change tomorrow. Mine is one of the smaller ones that just keeps the bale a few inches off the ground. I put a cattle panel in the bottom to keep the hay from falling out the bottom of it. Was his one of the ones that holds the bale higher up off the ground?
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Yes it was the taller type. I have been thinking about trying one but have bought 2 of the plastic pipe hay rings instead.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am

I made one a couple of years ago and anticipated that the ends where they V down could be a problem so I blocked them off with some steel mesh. I have used it for 3 winters now with my group of sale bulls and have not had any problems, they haven't even tipped it over yet.

Ken
1 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:06 am

coachg wrote:Yes it was the taller type. I have been thinking about trying one but have bought 2 of the plastic pipe hay rings instead.

How do you like those Poly-Feeders? I need a couple of new hay rings and I am seriously considering buying a couple. I am told that they are much more durable, but what do you see as the pros and cons?
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:07 am

wbvs58 wrote:I made one a couple of years ago and anticipated that the ends where they V down could be a problem so I blocked them off with some steel mesh. I have used it for 3 winters now with my group of sale bulls and have not had any problems, they haven't even tipped it over yet.

Ken

Ken, could you share a picture of the one you built?
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 am

Had a 400lb heifer get inside a ring [metal] last year, and when she went to get out got caught by her hips. Turned the thing over and pinned herself, it was very cold and I don't believe she would have made it another day, but something made me go that day, cut her out and doctored her, she was fine.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:30 am

I've had enough injured in hay rings
that I no longer use them. Hay gets rolled out or sometimes just dumped on the ground.
We do use the plastic pipe type here at home within sight of the house. They seem to be safer than the steel. They don't bend to conform around a shoulder head etc.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:09 am

callmefence wrote:I've had enough injured in hay rings
that I no longer use them. Hay gets rolled out or sometimes just dumped on the ground.
We do use the plastic pipe type here at home within sight of the house. They seem to be safer than the steel. They don't bend to conform around a shoulder head etc.

i've only used hay rings a few times and of course had a nice heifer about die in one.. I had to get a farm jack out and it was all it had to bend that so I could get her leg out. I thought for sure she was dead but I ended up bringing her back with the help of the forum.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:35 am

sstterry wrote:
coachg wrote:Yes it was the taller type. I have been thinking about trying one but have bought 2 of the plastic pipe hay rings instead.

How do you like those Poly-Feeders? I need a couple of new hay rings and I am seriously considering buying a couple. I am told that they are much more durable, but what do you see as the pros and cons?

There have been a number of discussions on this board about the poly rings but I believe this is the most recent. Love them.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112279&p=1460321&hilit=poly+bale+rings#p1460321
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 am

TCRanch wrote:
sstterry wrote:

There have been a number of discussions on this board about the poly rings but I believe this is the most recent. Love them.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112279&p=1460321&hilit=poly+bale+rings#p1460321

Thank you.
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm

I like the poly rings ! My metal ones are open at the bottom and the poly has the 3 lower rings. Seem to keep loose hay in better. Have one in with a group of yearling heifers and so far so good . They are easy to move and the opening between the upper ring and the 3 lower ones seems to be wider and the bull has room to feed without moving the ring as he pulls his head and neck out. One ring is two years old and still looks new. I had to put the new one together this fall. The guys at the Co Op told me I might learn a few new cuss words but it wasn't bad to assemble ! My kids swing set a few years back was much worse ! coachg
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:23 pm

If someone wants to post the pic of the cow I'll send it to you. I'm old and not very tech savvy , and my 7 yr old grand daughter is not here , lol ! 256-605-2975
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:26 am

sstterry wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I made one a couple of years ago and anticipated that the ends where they V down could be a problem so I blocked them off with some steel mesh. I have used it for 3 winters now with my group of sale bulls and have not had any problems, they haven't even tipped it over yet.

Ken

Ken, could you share a picture of the one you built?

Yes, I do have photos of it but I am a bit challenged when it comes to finding photos so I might take another one. I have posted photos of it on here before but again I'm challenged in retrieving them. Hang on I think one is a youtube video, I might be able to find that, if not I'll get a photo when I'm next around at the bulls.

Ken
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 am

wbvs58 wrote:Yes, I do have photos of it but I am a bit challenged when it comes to finding photos so I might take another one. I have posted photos of it on here before but again I'm challenged in retrieving them. Hang on I think one is a youtube video, I might be able to find that, if not I'll get a photo when I'm next around at the bulls.

Ken

Don't go to any trouble over it, I was just curious.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”