Mineral program for replacements

Cattle problems.
User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15633
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:39 am

You should be able to do a search on you're area..what minerals your soil is deficient in..go to your Co.farmers co.op they should have one that's blended in that direction.,and buy a bag...don't put all out at once.. and monitor consumption...if they wear it out,,gradually add white salt,till you reach a consumption amount you, and they are happy with.....
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Silver wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Silver wrote:Well if you need mineral then you need it.


True and most need much more than a trace. Whatever mineral is in that salt is hardly enough to measure. There is a reason they are made by salt companies rather than mineral companies.


And some don't need more than a trace. There is no reason I can see to throw money away to fix something that aint broken. So if you need more, spend the money. If you don't then save the money. It's not complicated.

Apparently it's way over your head. Oh well, best wishes with the "Trace Mineral SALT".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby Silver » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Silver wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
True and most need much more than a trace. Whatever mineral is in that salt is hardly enough to measure. There is a reason they are made by salt companies rather than mineral companies.


And some don't need more than a trace. There is no reason I can see to throw money away to fix something that aint broken. So if you need more, spend the money. If you don't then save the money. It's not complicated.

Apparently it's way over your head. Oh well, best wishes with the "Trace Mineral SALT".


Not sure who's head this is over. Let me ask you then, what would I be getting back for my dollars invested in your favorite mineral that you (who apparently knows more about my operation than I do ) are so sure would be in the best interests of my cattle and therefor my bottom line?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4934
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm

;-) All you gotta do is believe......

https://youtu.be/3ZwX-FRCIWQ
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby Lucky » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 am

I would say if your cows have a nice slick shiny coat, no flies buzzing around, and breed back in 60-90 days without mineral you don’t need it. I’ve tried all kinds sold around here and have the best luck with Nutrena w/ IGR. I also use multi-min 90 in the spring and can definitely tell a difference.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby gcreekrch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Lucky wrote:I would say if your cows have a nice slick shiny coat, no flies buzzing around, and breed back in 60-90 days without mineral you don’t need it. I’ve tried all kinds sold around here and have the best luck with Nutrena w/ IGR. I also use multi-min 90 in the spring and can definitely tell a difference.


Our cows are expected to calve in 50 days. 80 to 85% do it in 30. Scours, enterotoximia and many other problems we have experienced in the last nearly 40 years are almost minimal in this wet mud hole we have at calving time. Nutrition and vaccination programs are wonderful things when you get them working for you and keep it that way.
Our open rate was 4.75% this fall, lates were 5%.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country

Re: Mineral program for replacements

Postby Silver » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Lucky wrote:I would say if your cows have a nice slick shiny coat, no flies buzzing around, and breed back in 60-90 days without mineral you don’t need it. I’ve tried all kinds sold around here and have the best luck with Nutrena w/ IGR. I also use multi-min 90 in the spring and can definitely tell a difference.


Our cows are expected to calve in 50 days. 80 to 85% do it in 30. Scours, enterotoximia and many other problems we have experienced in the last nearly 40 years are almost minimal in this wet mud hole we have at calving time. Nutrition and vaccination programs are wonderful things when you get them working for you and keep it that way.
Our open rate was 4.75% this fall, lates were 5%.


Sounds very similar to here
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest