To much feed?

Cattle problems.
southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

To much feed?

Postby southernultrablack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:47 pm

My cows broke into the barn where I’ve been storing my feed. Had a 12% grower and some dried distillers in there. They made a mess of the grower, but the distillers were in barrels and they didn’t make to much of a mess, but eat about 1/4 of a barrel. Don’t really know how much of the grower they’ve eaten or spread across how many head. How much would it take to kill em?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: To much feed?

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Well it's been a couple of day so hopefully they are ok. Seldom does a lot of feed bother them other than perhaps a light dose of acidosis and loose stool for a day or two.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:32 pm

I lost a cow and a bull she was with in October to acidosis or "grain overload". The cow was about 8 and had basically never eaten grain. They where at a friends pasture right next to a grain leg and my friend was sweeping up corn around the leg that had gotten rained on and he dumped about a half a skidloader bucket of corn in a bunk. This was on a Thursday and Saturday late morning he found my cow dead and the bull was super lethargic, a few hours later the bull croaked. It was a real learning lesson for both of us.
0 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks y’all for the replies. They are still kicking as of this evening, seem to be ok.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Good to hear.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 pm

ohiosteve wrote:I lost a cow and a bull she was with in October to acidosis or "grain overload". The cow was about 8 and had basically never eaten grain. They where at a friends pasture right next to a grain leg and my friend was sweeping up corn around the leg that had gotten rained on and he dumped about a half a skidloader bucket of corn in a bunk. This was on a Thursday and Saturday late morning he found my cow dead and the bull was super lethargic, a few hours later the bull croaked. It was a real learning lesson for both of us.

Maybe it's the difference in Beef and Dairy Cows...walked outside one morning and looked like 50 cows were in the commodity barn literally inhaling the shelled corn. No bad results but they also had access to a TMR with a lot of roughage in it.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Health & Nutrition”