Liver flukes?

Cattle problems.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Liver flukes?

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 pm

We are low in copper and add it to our mineral. Never heard of analyzing cull cow livers routinely. What does this cost?

I also use Multi Min injections (which contains copper) in special cases. Injections take two to three weeks to raise cow mineral levels enough to significantly increase conception. It also takes that long to change hair coat color.

Stocker Steve

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Liver flukes?

Post by Putangitangi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:We are low in copper and add it to our mineral. Never heard of analyzing cull cow livers routinely. What does this cost?

I also use Multi Min injections (which contains copper) in special cases. Injections take two to three weeks to raise cow mineral levels enough to significantly increase conception. It also takes that long to change hair coat color.

Here we can get the meat-inspection vets at the abattoir to sample the livers on request via a form from my own vet, send them off to a lab for analysis. It's something routinely done for Copper, Selenium, B12 and presumably there are other tests one can have done. It costs me less than a couple of hundred, they sample a few from any group I send. I don't get to ask for specific individuals, unfortunately but at least it gives me some information about the herd average - there are individual results, which with the RFID tag system now in place, are identifiable. Otherwise you have to do live liver biopsies, which are presumably trickier and more expensive.

My understanding is that the stored copper levels in the liver are the most reliable indicator of the animals' status, since blood levels won't drop until there are no stores left. When we first identified the problem it was by blood test and their levels were far too low.