Sick calf

Cattle problems.
Susans
Beginner
Beginner

Sick calf

Post by Susans » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I have a week old calf that was not doing well Thursday. Took him to a vet who thought that his and his mothers blood types were not compatible. She put him on Baytril and Steriods and told me to bottle feed him. He has had electrolytes, and been on milk replacer full strength for 2 days, as well as Calf Boost and Immediate Response. He seems to be getting stronger, but hasn't passed much poop and has started grinding his teeth. Why would he do this? He's getting 6 quarts of milk replacer spread out over the day.

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Sick calf

Post by Hook2.0 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Grinding teeth is a pain response.
Proud to be a multiplier

Susans
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Susans » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 pm

So what else can I do for him? I have been giving him Immediate Response, I thought that was good for stomach issues.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Grinding teeth is also a sign of brain damage.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:17 pm

"Took him to a vet who thought that his and his mothers blood types were not compatible."

How did she determine this?
What is the history of the calf? Where did it come from? Was it full term?
6 qts. of milk a day seems like a lot for a week old calf.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 pm

It does sound like a strange diagnosis to me without knowing more.. it would be WAY down on my list of possible problems
I'd consider a painkiller like Banamine.
you could cut back the milk a bit, 4 quarts

What is the consistency of the poop?
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I am not a Vet or saying the Vet is wrong. In 46 years of owning a bovine I have never heard that diagnosis before.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

samanthasteven
Beginner
Beginner

Post by samanthasteven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:54 am

This is a sign of brain damage...

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:29 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I am not a Vet or saying the Vet is wrong. In 46 years of owning a bovine I have never heard that diagnosis before.

Neither have i, maybe needs an anti d shot!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:43 am

Susans wrote:I have a week old calf that was not doing well Thursday. Took him to a vet who thought that his and his mothers blood types were not compatible. She put him on Baytril and Steriods and told me to bottle feed him. He has had electrolytes, and been on milk replacer full strength for 2 days, as well as Calf Boost and Immediate Response. He seems to be getting stronger, but hasn't passed much poop and has started grinding his teeth. Why would he do this? He's getting 6 quarts of milk replacer spread out over the day.

Blood type incompatibility occurs in mammals. When it occurs in humans, the child gets a blood transfusion of a type blood that is COMPATIBLE.

It is certainly possible. The symptoms if the cslf's blood is incompatible, are fetal anemia, deterioration of red blood cells, and brain damage ( a couple of posts above mention brain damage as evidenced by the teeth grinding). The only fix is a transfusion which would not be likely just for a calf. I suspect the vet saw something that made them make that diagnosis although it is very unusual.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Susans
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Susans » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:34 pm

The calf was full term; and after a night of really loose stools, he is doing much better. He's had 2 quarts of milk replacer, which I gave in two separate feedings. I don't think he's brain damaged, he's trying to play and seems alert. I did switch milk replacer which I know is not a good idea normally but I think that the Nursetrate is a better one.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:47 pm

It is more common in horses, the mare gets enough of the foals blood across the placenta to develop antibodies to it so when the foal drinks the colostrum the AB attack the RBC producing anaemia and jaundice. At least I think that is what happens from memory. A lot of it is dependent on the type and closeness of the mother and foetus blood supply in the different types of placentas in the different species. I have not heard of it in cattle but not saying it does not happen. Maybe the vet was extrapolating the symptoms seen in the calf to her experience with horses????

Ken

Susans
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Susans » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Maybe. She's an associate of my usual vet. He did have blood spots in his eyes and she said he was anemic. He still has days of shots to go, but he was playing a lot tonight. I'm going to try and give him two quarts in one bottle tomorrow morning,we'll see how he does. I'm just glad that he's survived so far. I figure that every day he's here, he'll have a better chance.

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:21 am

I am B negative. My first pregnancy revealed my blood type. Both my sons were born with B negative blood so there was no cross contamination. If the first son had been born with a positive blood type, there would have been a real possibility of antibodies forming in my blood which would early terminate any subsequent pregnancy. In other words, I would never successfully carry another child to full term. Had my first born been a positive blood type, I would have been given a Rhogam shot that would have prevented the development of antibodies.
Guess what I'm trying to say is if this is a real deal, I'd send that cow to town to prevent another compromised calf.

Susans
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Susans » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:00 am

Same with me- except I did have to get the shot after my second child. And yes, this cow is going to leave. I don't want to ever do this again.