Trimming hooves and foot rot.

Cattle problems.
Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: Trimming hooves and foot rot.

Post by Silver » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Our forages are high in P&K. We do a hand mix given to us by Gerald Fry some years ago. Cheaper and better results for us than red store bought blends. He said store bought does not have enough iodine for feet because of concerns about iodine in diary milk, and not enough copper due to concerns about death wish sheep. We do see a few Simi x with red tinged hair coats. Some breeds just need more selenium. Multimin corrects in about 3 weeks if it is a concern.

I will double check for the recipe wts.. By volume into a 5 dollar 50# bag of plain mixing salt:
2 cans copper sulfate
1 can selenium
1/2 can of iodine

Seems like there should be some zinc in there too....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Silver wrote: Seems like there should be some zinc in there too....

Some dairies here need zinc supplement to prevent leg problems in confinement, others don't. Of course Multimin 90 has zinc in it. Our soil tests show that we are medium to high for zinc. I don't see a problem in my beef herd that it would resolve.

I forage test one to three fields per year. High stocking density and inter seeding legumes has driven our forage P&K values way way up, but we are still low on copper. Turning red tinged cows black with a Multimin 90 injection supports that we are still low on copper.

In theory we have their forage tested and then have a custom mineral mix designed around only the minerals they are short on. Tried this some years ago but the local supplier rep told me I was not big enough. Seems like he only wanted to sell what he had on hand.

Some folks that are very successful with soil regeneration have quit providing any mineral to their beef cattle. :shock: Its in the forage. :idea: Look up the mineral content of Canadian thistle and chicory if you are curious. Tap roots matter.
Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:In theory we have their forage tested and then have a custom mineral mix designed around only the minerals they are short on.

Now that makes sense.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Silver wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:In theory we have their forage tested and then have a custom mineral mix designed around only the minerals they are short on.

Now that makes sense.

That is what our custom mineral provides.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am

On the question about trimming hooves.
If the animal needs it's feet trimmed because of an injury and you can get them sound enough to get around well, there is no need to cull.
If the animal needs it's feet trimmed because of genetically poor hooves - cull. I have a couple of cows that get curled in pointed toes, and we snip them. These cows happen to be great momma cows, so I put embryos in them. Raise a great calf.
Edit: I am 100% AI, so if the embryo's don't take, they don't get bred by the clean up and they get shipped when I wean her calf.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Na Zdravi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Na Zdravi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:08 pm

What is the best brand of mineral that has the most zinc, selenium and iodine? We've been having issues with foot rot with all the rain over the last 6 months.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Na Zdravi wrote:What is the best brand of mineral that has the most zinc, selenium and iodine? We've been having issues with foot rot with all the rain over the last 6 months.

I have used both Ag-Land Fescue 7 which is good for this area. But I also am a big fan of Vitaferm ConceptAid/ Mag S. If I was forced to choose, I would go with Vitaferm

Here is their website.

http://vitaferm.com/