Worming and resistance issues.

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Worming and resistance issues.

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:37 am

Where I am, I could probably get by without worming because to my knowledge, we do not have liver flukes which are in the group of parasitic worms called "flatworms". Liver flukes can be devastating. They do tremendous damage to the liver tissue.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:20 pm

I still have not tried Long Range. It is too costly. I can use the generic Ivermectin products and deworm twice (as normal) for less money. they have to go thru the chute for other things, so not taking more labor.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I still have not tried Long Range. It is too costly. I can use the generic Ivermectin products and deworm twice (as normal) for less money. they have to go thru the chute for other things, so not taking more labor.

Agree. There are cheaper ways to get eprinomectin into them!
Diogenes.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm

It only cost $3-5 to worm a cow twice a year, cheap insurance. Long Range is too costly. Cost about $12 a dose, I’ve had mixed results with it. I may give it another try on long weaned yearlings but not on cows.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Lucky wrote:It only cost $3-5 to worm a cow twice a year, cheap insurance. Long Range is too costly. Cost about $12 a dose, I’ve had mixed results with it. I may give it another try on long weaned yearlings but not on cows.

I talked to the people who make it. They understand that completely. It is geared towards the producer who needs the longer term carrier that is an ingredient in Long Range. BUT KEEP IN MIND, the active ingredient which kills parasites is eprinomectin. You can get that with Eprinex - the pour on. In fact, the pour on is a much higher concentration. Despite what many say, used properly, the concentration of eprinomectin in the blood plasma is just as high with the pour on as it is with the injectable Long Range.
Diogenes.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Lucky wrote:It only cost $3-5 to worm a cow twice a year, cheap insurance. Long Range is too costly. Cost about $12 a dose, I’ve had mixed results with it. I may give it another try on long weaned yearlings but not on cows.

I talked to the people who make it. They understand that completely. It is geared towards the producer who needs the longer term carrier that is an ingredient in Long Range. BUT KEEP IN MIND, the active ingredient which kills parasites is eprinomectin. You can get that with Eprinex - the pour on. In fact, the pour on is a much higher concentration. Despite what many say, used properly, the concentration of eprinomectin in the blood plasma is just as high with the pour on as it is with the injectable Long Range.

I use pour on from time to time. It’s really good for weaned calves that need to be wormed every 60 days or so. The thing I don’t like about it is how long it takes to get in thier system. I’ve used it a couple times were it rained less than 24 hrs later, who knows how long it takes to get in there system. The other deal is having to be careful with the hotshot.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Lucky wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I use pour on from time to time. It’s really good for weaned calves that need to be wormed every 60 days or so. The thing I don’t like about it is how long it takes to get in thier system. I’ve used it a couple times were it rained less than 24 hrs later, who knows how long it takes to get in there system. The other deal is having to be careful with the hotshot.

The rate of absorption is known. It is not a matter of "who knows". That is required for drug approval. In 24 hours you will have achieved a blood plasma concentration high enough to kill all the target parasites. Rest easy my friend.
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Lucky wrote:What’s the issue with worming twice a year with the current drugs available? Is is cost or do y’all think they are just not effective? I’ve always wormed twice a year and never had any problems. Every now and then I’ll notice one looking wormy and give her another dose but not very often. I try to use different wormers from year to year but they all pretty much have the same effective ingredient so not sure it helps anything. What about Long Range, isn’t it the latest?

We've been preached to about the over use and resistance issues caused by worming cattle that don't need to be wormed.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:34 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Lucky wrote:What’s the issue with worming twice a year with the current drugs available? Is is cost or do y’all think they are just not effective? I’ve always wormed twice a year and never had any problems. Every now and then I’ll notice one looking wormy and give her another dose but not very often. I try to use different wormers from year to year but they all pretty much have the same effective ingredient so not sure it helps anything. What about Long Range, isn’t it the latest?

We've been preached to about the over use and resistance issues caused by worming cattle that don't need to be wormed.

My advice would be don't listen and look out for yourself. With mite sprays we were given a stern talking to by the chemical companies to rotate spray groups. We have always done this. But most don't, they just get the latest chemical and spray it over and over and the pests become resistant to it in their crops but also in everyone elses at the same time. My suggestion was that each chemical only be open for sale every three years on a rotational basis, went down like a lead balloon!

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

I’m with you on the preaching part. I try to use a different type of wormer every year. I know they all have the same active ingredient but figure it’s better than doing nothing. If a man was really concerned a microscope and half a days time would go along way. I’m pretty sure none of my neighbors worm or vaccinate their cattle so I see the results of doing both. I’m going to keep worming.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I feel that worming cows is as necessary as socks, calves, that's non negotiable.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 pm

I think it may depend on location. I will continue to worm my cows twice a year - although I did skip my old cows this past summer, but hit them this fall. Not sure if I will continue that program.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:42 am

Lucky wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

every 60 days??!?!!

wow..

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:11 am

I deworm calves at 3 months of age with Valbazen (drench), 4 months age w/ pour-on, then again in fall with Pour-On.
The Pour-On does not get tapeworm, Valbazen does.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 am

Never worm anything over 3 YO old.