Seaweed as a suppliment?

Cattle problems.
Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Redgully » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 am

I have been told seaweed can make a good suppliment for cattle with micronutrients and acts as a tonic. Wondering has anyone tried it and what did they find. Found somewhere i can buy some but kind of expensive. My feeling is it is more of a horsey thing. The pserson i was talking to feeds it to her cows but honestly they just looked like any other cow
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4070
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:20 am

I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken
1 x

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Redgully » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:34 am

wbvs58 wrote:I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken


We use seaweed products in the nursery, i have about 80 000 plants, but it bloody stinks, can't imagine a cow would want to eat it if it smells anything like that. Would be good for compost.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29746
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Redgully wrote:I have been told seaweed can make a good suppliment for cattle with micronutrients and acts as a tonic. Wondering has anyone tried it and what did they find. Found somewhere i can buy some but kind of expensive. My feeling is it is more of a horsey thing. The pserson i was talking to feeds it to her cows but honestly they just looked like any other cow
Red all I've ever seen was Kelp Meal and it came in a 50 lb. bag making it infeasible for use in most rations. A few show feets and such will include a little in the ration but at a rate of only 20-25 lbs. per ton. (Good "Tasco"). It contains some iodine but otherwise very little there for the high cost.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Redgully » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Redgully wrote:I have been told seaweed can make a good suppliment for cattle with micronutrients and acts as a tonic. Wondering has anyone tried it and what did they find. Found somewhere i can buy some but kind of expensive. My feeling is it is more of a horsey thing. The pserson i was talking to feeds it to her cows but honestly they just looked like any other cow
Red all I've ever seen was Kelp Meal and it came in a 50 lb. bag making it infeasible for use in most rations. A few show feets and such will include a little in the ration but at a rate of only 20-25 lbs. per ton. (Good "Tasco"). It contains some iodine but otherwise very little there for the high cost.


That was what i was thinking, very expensive but i can't seem to find what the benefit would be. Was told it had iodone and selenium but that should be in a good mineral program anyway. Then there would be the risk of going the other way. Hoping someone had experience and what they found. Might have to do it myself and see what happens.
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15718
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken

I know the name they use in our protein tub is Tasco,for our fescue is a seaweed extract..
1 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Luckiamute » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 am

My vet doesn't recommend using it. I wish I could remember the reasons why, but I know he discourages people from using it for any livestock species.
1 x

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Redgully » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:31 am

Luckiamute wrote:My vet doesn't recommend using it. I wish I could remember the reasons why, but I know he discourages people from using it for any livestock species.


That is interesting, would love to know why. I should ask my vet his thoughts. When you think about it if cows were meant to eat it they would have gills and flippers!
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4070
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:54 am

Redgully wrote:
Luckiamute wrote:My vet doesn't recommend using it. I wish I could remember the reasons why, but I know he discourages people from using it for any livestock species.


That is interesting, would love to know why. I should ask my vet his thoughts. When you think about it if cows were meant to eat it they would have gills and flippers!


Dugong don't have gills.

Ken
1 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29746
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:34 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken

I know the name they use in our protein tub is Tasco,for our fescue is a seaweed extract..

Same thing...cost $4 a hundred more to get "TASCO" put on the bag. :lol2: :nod: (True)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17485
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby greybeard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Cadmium, lead, arsenic, and mercury is what some Euro eco-group claimed was in seaweed that was being used as cattle feed supplement....

On the other hand, other Euro eco-groups lauded seaweed's use in animal feed because it caused less cow belchin and fartin and lower methane in general and therefore would reduce global warming...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia

Re: Seaweed as a suppliment?

Postby Redgully » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 pm

greybeard wrote:Cadmium, lead, arsenic, and mercury is what some Euro eco-group claimed was in seaweed that was being used as cattle feed supplement....

On the other hand, other Euro eco-groups lauded seaweed's use in animal feed because it caused less cow belchin and fartin and lower methane in general and therefore would reduce global warming...


I had totally forgotten about that less gas from seaweed. I remember reading it a while back and having a good laugh. My wife reckons i should be chompin on some seaweed!

Also makes sense to have mercury in it. Long lived fish like tuna have quite high levels of mercury.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests