Ivermectin Alternatives

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am

boondocks wrote:
Randi wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
There are resistance issues with ivermectin. It has been around since 1975.


Yeah, this is kinda what I'm thinking..


Do yours usually get ringworm? If so, I was wondering if you were seeing resistance there as well; maybe that would be more apparent than resistance re lice.
We have never treated for lice until this winter. They got a good dose of Eprinex in late Nov. So far they look better but the next month will tell the tale.


Ringworm is a fungus, ivermectin doesn't do anything for that. We do have ringworm, but usually just in the weaned calves over the winter.

All the cows were done within the last 2 weeks of January, we shouldn't be seeing much scratching at this point!

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 am

What product where you using Randi? This year I used AVL as that was what was in stock at feed store - if I see any issues I will go back to Ivomec. Normally use Noromectin or Ivomec. I only use ivermectin for the sole purpose of killing lice. Fecal samples tell me almost zero internal parasites before application. But lice in January and February is what I always aim to avoid, otherwise I will find cows scratching with 4 legs in the air. The cheap Vet-O-Lice, etc. products where you need more than one application over a 2 week period, do not work for me.
cor durum laborem

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 am
Location: TX
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Lucky » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:58 am

Randi wrote:
Lucky wrote:Just wait for it to rain a time or two and the lice will be gone. Only way I controlled lice was to dpray the cows with a weed sprayer. It was a real pain.
,

Well...being tat its January, and I'm in Canada, I'm not going to hold my breath on much rain for at least 2 months... Lol. Hopefully the weather's better than last year or they're going to suffer for a long time...


Canada is along way from Texas. Should have looked at your sig before I commented.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 am
Location: TX
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Lucky » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 am

boondocks wrote:
Lucky wrote:Just wait for it to rain a time or two and the lice will be gone. Only way I controlled lice was to dpray the cows with a weed sprayer. It was a real pain.


Mine (well, my cows') seems to get worse with cold rainy weather?


Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it’s a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8571
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:01 am

Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 am

Aaron wrote:What product where you using Randi? This year I used AVL as that was what was in stock at feed store - if I see any issues I will go back to Ivomec. Normally use Noromectin or Ivomec. I only use ivermectin for the sole purpose of killing lice. Fecal samples tell me almost zero internal parasites before application. But lice in January and February is what I always aim to avoid, otherwise I will find cows scratching with 4 legs in the air. The cheap Vet-O-Lice, etc. products where you need more than one application over a 2 week period, do not work for me.

I'll have to look at the brand. I do know it's not the same one as we used last year though.

User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK

I'm not sure where I'd even find those ingredients. I'll have to look it up

User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 am

Lucky wrote:
Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it’s a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.


The lice problem here usually starts in about January. Then goes til spring which is usually late April. Cows can get pretty naked by then. Lol.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8571
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 am

Randi wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Randi, have you tried a mix of 2oz Lambda-cyhalothrin, 7oz PBO-8, mixed with a gal of corn oil poured on the cows back? You might need to cut the corn oil with some diesel fuel in the Arctic so it will pour and travel? IDK

I'm not sure where I'd even find those ingredients. I'll have to look it up

We don't have the cold or hair that you have to contend with, but we've had lice, mite and tick problems. Angus Cowman hooked us up with that concoction years ago and it helped.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by 76 Bar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am

Have done battle with lice for decades. Occasionally encounter ringworm when the circumstances are right...lives in the soil. Unsightly but doesn't compromise health. Cure is tincture of time, cessation of rainy weather and plenty of sunshine in no particular order.
Here's a couple of good articles regarding lice:
https://www.beefmagazine.com/health/1101-control-lice
http://msuextension.org/publications/AgandNaturalResources/MT201002AG.pdf

FWIW...IMO best product for nailing lice is Cleanup Pour On. Unlike other products it also kills the eggs with one treatment e.g. don't have to retreat several weeks later. Downside its extremely viscous & cold weather compounds the problem. I typically use an old pour on ladle (common in the days before the advent of the syringe "guns").

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8529
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am

Till-Hill wrote:Cydectin does not work either for lice. We have been feeding safegaurd and pouring with boss last few years. These warm winters really get these cattle scratching!

Is this correct that Cydectin does not work on lice?
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you guys!

I've had a couple vets tell me that Cydectin doesn't work for lice.

User avatar
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by Randi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

Doesn't look like I can get Cleanup here in Canada.

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2589
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by boondocks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Randi wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Mine get lice every year when the grass starts greening up then it goes away with a rain or two. I guess it’s a regional thing. It used to reslly bother me now I just watch and hope it rains quick.


The lice problem here usually starts in about January. Then goes til spring which is usually late April. Cows can get pretty naked by then. Lol.


Same timing here in upstate NY. I read some types of lice can cause anemia if it gets bad enough; or they scratch and don't eat as much; or scratch to the point of infection. So we're treating this year. The Eprinex and applicator weren't cheap so if they don't help, I won't be happy.

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Ivermectin Alternatives

Post by 76 Bar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Damned internet ate my post!
Sorry to hear you can't get Cleanup Randi. As per the article I sent, PO's get lice but not the eggs/nymphs so some form of re treatment is required 2 weeks later if you want to annihilate them. Injectable avermectins get sucking lice only.
PS...enjoy your cattle and country pic Randi.

Post Reply