Ky beef IRM mineral questions

Cattle problems.
kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Ky beef IRM mineral questions

Post by kentuckyguy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Just wanting to know if anyone in Kentucky is using the UK beef IRM mineral.

I’m really looking to pay more attention to my mineral supplements but in my area the options are pretty slim.

Here is the IRM mineral contents http://www.rs.uky.edu/regulatory/feed/U ... lSpecs.pdf

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Ky beef IRM mineral questions

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm

I use Vitaferm Concept Aid. I wonder how they compare.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Not sure that’s kind of what I was trying to figure out.

The local extension office does a large order every fall for the IRM mineral. If I recall correctly it runs about $21 bag if you pre order.

If this is a better mineral than the southern states brood cow mineral which I believe it is I could actually save some money and feed better mineral.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm
Not sure that’s kind of what I was trying to figure out.

The local extension office does a large order every fall for the IRM mineral. If I recall correctly it runs about $21 bag if you pre order.

If this is a better mineral than the southern states brood cow mineral which I believe it is I could actually save some money and feed better mineral.
Vitaferm is a very good mineral. Cows really eat it well. It has no NaCl so you have to put it out with white salt. Don't forget - concentration means nothing if the form the mineral is in is not bioavailable.
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Ron
Are you feeding the concept aid year round or just around the breeding season?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:28 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pm
Ron
Year around. They have seasonal mixes. A high magnesium version, a breeding version and a heat version for summer.
Diogenes.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:28 pm
kentuckyguy wrote:
Ron
Year around. They have seasonal mixes. A high magnesium version, a breeding version and a heat version for summer.
Do you mix any IGR with it or do you use some other fly control? I found a dealer about 30 miles from me that I have been meaning to pay a visit to.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm

sstterry wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:
Ron
Do you mix any IGR with it or do you use some other fly control? I found a dealer about 30 miles from me that I have been meaning to pay a visit to.
I do not use IGR. I treat the cows every two weeks with UltraBoss. My cows are easy to treat in the pasture. I draw up the dose based on estimated weight into a syringe w/o a needle and apply it down their back. Very effective and also controls ticks which transmit anaplasmosis.
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm

I’m still trying to make up my mind on mineral. Been doing a lots of reading but haven’t reached a conclusion yet.

I have trouble figuring out which mineral actually have the micronutrients chelated. Reading the tags doesn’t really give me any info.

According to my local feed store their southern states mineral is better than the mineral offered by Ky IRM mineral group buy.

Anyone know of a sure way to understand if the minerals such as selenium are in a form the cow can readily use.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm
sstterry wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I do not use IGR. I treat the cows every two weeks with UltraBoss. My cows are easy to treat in the pasture. I draw up the dose based on estimated weight into a syringe w/o a needle and apply it down their back. Very effective and also controls ticks which transmit anaplasmosis.
LOL, my cows aren't like that. They are tame and I can walk up and touch them on occasion, but not enough to apply Ultraboss. I did walk around and spray them last year.

Tomcolvin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Tomcolvin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:01 am

Same problem. I can walk close to them but if you have something to apply on their back they move out quickly. I can spray some if I have feed in their through while they eat. I could never use a gun applicator along their back.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am

kentuckyguy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm
I’m still trying to make up my mind on mineral. Been doing a lots of reading but haven’t reached a conclusion yet.

I have trouble figuring out which mineral actually have the micronutrients chelated. Reading the tags doesn’t really give me any info.

According to my local feed store their southern states mineral is better than the mineral offered by Ky IRM mineral group buy.

Anyone know of a sure way to understand if the minerals such as selenium are in a form the cow can readily use.
Organic or chelatd minerals will be disclosed in the lists of ingredients as "chelates", "complexes" or "amino acid complexes". Cobalt usually as cobalt glucoheptonate. Selenium even in the form of sodium selenite is utilized by the animal but selenium yeast is better utilized. If your mineral is loaded up with "oxides" it's pretty worthless period !!!!
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am
kentuckyguy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Organic or chelatd minerals will be disclosed in the lists of ingredients as "chelates", "complexes" or "amino acid complexes". Cobalt usually as cobalt glucoheptonate. Selenium even in the form of sodium selenite is utilized by the animal but selenium yeast is better utilized. If your mineral is loaded up with "oxides" it's pretty worthless period !!!!
Thanks for the help. I’ll have to keep reading tags at the feed store. It’s kind of confusing when mineral priced $20-25/bag just lists a basic percentage of ingredients.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm
sstterry wrote:

Ron, real quick, out of curiosity...is UltraBoss safe for dung beetles?
You work with the EPA- what does the latest research say?
Last edited by Bright Raven on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diogenes.

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Why not just give a simple answer to the question.
Proud to be a multiplier