Re: Tubs

Post by callmefence » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 pm
callmefence wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:13 am
Plenty of situations where tubs are the cheapest way to supplement protein.
Sort of like having that thousand dollar winch on the front of the truck. Sometimes you just can't put a price on convenience.

Urea won't hurt your horse. Consumption is very low and what they do eat they don't utilize it. Seen man liking on lick wheels with no harm done.
Winch isn’t worth a plug nickel when you’re 75’ past the closest thing to snub off too. That’s what a FWD is good for getting you to that point. I have pulled a many a deer hunter out through the years. City boys that have watched too many Chevy commercials.
I have left some as well in places I wouldn’t put my tractor off in.
You give a pretty good example here of a scenario where liquid feed won't work.
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:32 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:20 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Welfare cattle.
You would be way ahead to buy liquid feed delivered at 310 a ton.
CB keep in mind they will eat at least 4 lbs. per head per day of the liquid vs 1 lb; of the tub
I agree I just look at the price of a pound of protein. I get 35% protein in a ton of supplement for 310 bucks for 700 lbs of protein. This versus 900 bucks for the same 35% in the tub. So I can buy 3 tons versus one and have it delivered to boot.
Here you explain why you can't see it.

I can buy a 25 horse tractor for way less than a 80. That wouldn't make it cheapest.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 am

I can tell your about profit.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Welfare cattle.
You would be way ahead to buy liquid feed delivered at 310 a ton.
CB keep in mind they will eat at least 4 lbs. per head per day of the liquid vs 1 lb; of the tub
I agree I just look at the price of a pound of protein. I get 35% protein in a ton of supplement for 310 bucks for 700 lbs of protein. This versus 900 bucks for the same 35% in the tub. So I can buy 3 tons versus one and have it delivered to boot.
What is that? Liquid feed???
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm

callmefence wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 am
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Sort of like having that thousand dollar winch on the front of the truck. Sometimes you just can't put a price on convenience.

Urea won't hurt your horse. Consumption is very low and what they do eat they don't utilize it. Seen man liking on lick wheels with no harm done.
Winch isn’t worth a plug nickel when you’re 75’ past the closest thing to snub off too. That’s what a FWD is good for getting you to that point. I have pulled a many a deer hunter out through the years. City boys that have watched too many Chevy commercials.
I have left some as well in places I wouldn’t put my tractor off in.
You give a pretty good example here of a scenario where liquid feed won't work.
Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Here you explain why you can't see it.

I can buy a 25 horse tractor for way less than a 80. That wouldn't make it cheapest.
How is he wrong?
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:43 pm

HDRider wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm

clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm

ccr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:43 pm
HDRider wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm

I use Westway that is the local distributor.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm

So much for trying to help somebody. I'm done. (psssst,,,,,,, liquid feed is 80% water)
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:11 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm
So much for trying to help somebody. I'm done. (psssst,,,,,,, liquid feed is 80% water)
tb, i was curious what you thought about this. so supplement with something other than the liquid protein?
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 am
elkwc wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm
Son of Butch wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:03 pm

You can if cows are few and the tubs allow you more time better spent at your 'real' job in town.

Also if a pasture is 30 miles or further away. We were able to eliminate 2 trips a week by using tubs. Looking at liquid feed this winter. But it don't pencil out much better than the tubs.
Liquid feed tank will go in that pasture. They deliver there as well the convenience blows messing with tubs out of the water.
Liquid feed penciled out higher last year. And so far this year it will also. They do deliver but charge mileage and a tank fee.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 am

TexasBred wrote:
Yes and as compared to tubs for dry matter is %1500 per ton +-

We use tubs in various places. Best use is winter range as they keep the cows out longer on rough grass and they don't associate the feed truck as compared to feeding pellets every day. If we get a cold snap the cows will follow to feed truck back to the gate when they are done and stand there and bawl rather than rustle for grass.
Calving time or the younger cows is another use. Gives them a little boost that ends up with more bred and the calves are licking in tubs rather than dirt. Health and fertility is worth a lot.
We have been using Orwig 18% tubs the last few years and they have worked out to 75 cents or less per day. Those high protein tubs can be a waste of money as a lot of protein can be passed through unused if the roughage they are eating is not good quality.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 am

TexasBred wrote:
I am not sure who you are talking to.

Did I miss something you said?

I am still trying to figure this out.

My hay is a little better than average. It is obvious they lack protein through the winter. I am trying to decide if I need supplementation, and if so, what is the best bang for the buck.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 am

I confess, I use tubs during the fall/winter/spring (so most of the year here lol) on a case by case basis. For example, I put a Purina Stress tub out for Titan and my daughters cows a few weeks ago. Titan is showing his age a bit lately, one cow is a first calver about to wean a huge bull calf and one cow is 14 and nursing a pair of sweet twin heifers. I felt this group needs the extra input as we transition from pastures to hay in the coming weeks. All of the younger bulls (long yearlings up to 7 years old) will likely not see a tub anytime soon as they have come home from work lately looking fantastic.

Our pastures are meticulously maintained, and are a combination of grasses and red clover. The few head that are home during the growing season (mostly just horses and my daughter's cows) are rotated to maintain forage health. During the winter, most of the stock will only see high quality grass hay. There just is no alfalfa to be had in our area. I would give very good money for 15 small squares of alfalfa for my daughter's goats, but it just isn't there to be had! Most hay producers grow grasses to meet the demands of a huge population of horse enthusiasts. The few that grew alfalfa up here, had a serious bout of winter kill over the past March and many could not afford to re-seed.

Based on our program and the forage produced for winter feed up here, adding a few tubs here and there as needed is the only real option. For me, the efficiency clearly outweighs the economics. If you are running 100 pairs, I can see where that is not the case....
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers