Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

Cattle problems.
alabama
GURU
GURU

Post by alabama » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:58 pm

I got in it bad pulling up new wire on an old fence last Saturday. Yep my whole left arm in covered in the stuff. It is also popping up in other places this week.
What is the best thing to put on it?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:17 pm

mitchwi
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mitchwi » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 pm

Oh how I feel for you! My husband reacts terribly to it also, if he gets it too bad, his arms start looking like Popeye arms, at that point he has to go on the steroid Prednisone (sp?). Other than that, the link Dun gave you about says it all. Good luck! and Take care!
a woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is 'til you add hot water...

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Post by sidney411 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:40 pm

I get it horrible just looking at the stuff! I have found that sticking your arm or leg or whatever under running water and slowly turning it up hotter and hotter until you can't take it anymore they turn it up a little more and let it run over it feels AWESOME. It is kind of hard at first but it really makes it quit itching for a while at least. Just try it!
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Re: Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:52 pm

alabama wrote:Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

I got in it bad pulling up new wire on an old fence last Saturday. Yep my whole left arm in covered in the stuff. It is also popping up in other places this week.

Did you get it on your p*ck*r too? :lol: Ohhhhhh that's fun!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

oscar p
Rancher
Rancher

Post by oscar p » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:50 pm

My grandmother use to paint us with white shoe polish, it will dry it up.

3MR
GURU
GURU

Post by 3MR » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 pm

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Poison ivy, bug bites, poison oak or zumack, etc, they just dont bother me that much. It itches a bit when I first wake up or get the bite, but I just ignore it and it seems to stop itching. The more attention I pay to it the more it itches. I recently had poison zumack all over an arm and hand. Other than grossing people out it really didnt effect me much.
Freedom isnt free, but it doesnt have to be so expensive either!

mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mdmdogs3 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 pm

I'm very allergic to it -
don't mess around anymore - go straight to the doctor with 2 or 3 blisters -
Prednisone didn't work - after 2 miserable weeks trying out the Pred the doctor gave me a shot of DepoMedrol and it was gone in 2 hours - I was furious - now I insist on the shot

the doc can also give you some strong hydrocortisone that will slow the itching - but just get the shot - no itching

if you can catch it with 1 or 2 blisters - open the blister with a pin and then put straight bleach on it - burns like the devil but it kills it -

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Post by Crowderfarms » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:02 pm

Lye soap, or you might try this website...www.poisonivysoap.com

We sold over 100 bars of it this year. Had folks buying it and shipping to relatives who were affected by it.The stuff aint never bothered me.Luckily.
Hoss, Please stay!

Nowland Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by Nowland Farms » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:55 pm

A bit of a different spin but, to answer this, I always use roundup to "cure" the poision ivy.

Go to the Dctr and get a shot of Cortizone and Benedryl. Should begin to clear up immediatly.
I want to live life til the day I die....

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Post by cypressfarms » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:47 am

Unfortunately I get it bad also.

Your family doctor can prescribe you something for it. We keep a tube of Lidex handy, and use it when needed.

Old Wives Tale:

When I was a kid I was told that if you ate an odd number of poison ivy fruit (seeds), that you would no longer be allergic to it.
So I ate some and the only thing that happened was that I was worried if my "insides" would catch poison ivy.
waiting for something really important to say

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Post by cfpinz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:13 am

MikeC wrote:

Did you get it on your p*ck*r too? :lol: Ohhhhhh that's fun!

You build fence nekkid??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Where do you hang your pliers? :lol:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Post by hillbilly beef man » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:04 am

Find some illegally distilled corn spirits and rub some on it. It will burn like fire, but it will kill it. Had a case that the bleach wouldn’t even work, but this did.

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Post by sidney411 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:38 am

I don't know if this holds true for anyone else but I used to get the shot for it and I've gotten it so many times it doesn't seem to work anymore. The last time I got the shot I didn't seem to get any better. It will go away in about 2 weeks no matter what I've tried. If you know you've been in it you can wash with bleach when you get in the house and it will lessen the severity and distribution of the rash though. There is a poision ivy wash also I've tried, can't recall th ename right now, but it works about the same as bleach but a lot more expensive. Hot water is the only treatment I use now, works the best.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

alabama
GURU
GURU

Post by alabama » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:48 am

Thanks for the help. I surprised myself and stopped in at the doctor’s yesterday evening. I cot a shot in the butt “Decadron.” I don’t know what that is but I could not sit-down for a while. I also got a card of pills and some cream. The shot worked wonders and I was very much better by last night. At least most of the drainage stopped running out of it. Total cost so far is $35 after insurance. I will call the Aflac lady and see if it pays. You know you are accident-prone when you can make money by making the duck quack.

And the hot water treatment feels so good that I suspect I will miss it when it is gone.