Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

Cattle problems.
Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texas Gal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:52 am

You probably need to visit your doc at this point for prednisone and/or cortisone shot. I've got a prescription called Embelline that works wonders on the rash - haven't had corticosteroids since we found this stuff. If you're hard headed about visiting the doc, you might try the products at this link

http://www.teclabsinc.com/sitemap.cfm

you can get them at your local drug store. The wash really does work well is you use it after exposure to the plant but I haven't tried it on the actual rash. Oh yeah, be careful with the clothes you wore, tools you used, etc. the urushiol ( oil that causes rash) will stay on things for years literally.

TLCfromARK
Rancher
Rancher

Post by TLCfromARK » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 am

sidney411 wrote:I get it horrible just looking at the stuff! I have found that sticking your arm or leg or whatever under running water and slowly turning it up hotter and hotter until you can't take it anymore they turn it up a little more and let it run over it feels AWESOME. It is kind of hard at first but it really makes it quit itching for a while at least. Just try it!

Sidney is right! Hot water ( a little hotter than you think you can stand ) will make it stop for a good while. I've even used a hair dryer for some out of the way spots thats hard to get under a faucet. :roll:

My wife has to go to the doctor to get a shot and some meds to dry it up otherwise it spreads every where.

;-)

alabama
GURU
GURU

Post by alabama » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 am

AFLAC will pay too if you go to the doctor. The lady said it would be at least $135 but most likley more.

GMN
GURU
GURU

poison ivy

Post by GMN » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:54 pm

I got it real bad in July and into August. I had an allergic reaction to it, had it real bad on my arm, went to the doctor, had 2 of the shots, didn't work, they gave me anti itch pills that just made me not sleep, so I quit taking them, just had to run its course, which took about 6 weeks of pure agony. I use to take cold showers, or soak the infected arm in cold, as you can stand it water, and it did alleviate the swelling and itching. The last few weeks, just itched them,( I know I wasn't supposed to ) just couldn't resist anymore.

GMN

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Post by warpaint » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:30 pm

I have never been allergic to it. I guess I could lay down in the stuff and it wouldn't bother me.

On the other hand, I can't be anywhere near wasps, cause they put a real hurtin on me.
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

GMN
GURU
GURU

ivy

Post by GMN » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:43 pm

TLCfromARK wrote:
sidney411 wrote:I get it horrible just looking at the stuff! I have found that sticking your arm or leg or whatever under running water and slowly turning it up hotter and hotter until you can't take it anymore they turn it up a little more and let it run over it feels AWESOME. It is kind of hard at first but it really makes it quit itching for a while at least. Just try it!

My doctor told me hot water was the worst thing you could do for poison ivy, because it expands the blod vessels, making it itch even more. I too, at first thought it felt good using hot, but after I switched to ice cold, I noticed an improvement almost immediately (at least for a lil while) :)

Gail

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Post by sidney411 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Gail, I'll have to try the cold water next time. I have gotten relief for up to half the day with one hot water treatment, and have been able to sleep through the night after a shower when usually it wakes me up in the night.

One thing is for sure - the most miserable times I can remember in my life have been caused by poision ivy!

This is funny, well, not really but anyway. True story: I know a guy that went to the bathroom after being in contact w/ poision ivy and was not alergic to it. That night he went home and got a little frisky with his wife.....she went to the doctor absolutely convinced her husband had cheated and brought her home some sort of disease. They almost got a divorce because she didn't believe the doctor when he said it was poision ivy.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

J&T Farm
Rancher
Rancher

Post by J&T Farm » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:31 pm

My grandmother would mix bleach and water, soak a rag and hold it on there for about 5 min. It burned but by morning it would be all dried up and much better.
Farmin' for a Livin'

Nowland Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by Nowland Farms » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Poision Oak or ivy does not bother me. When we were just kids, my 1st cousin and I were wrestling in the woods. The woods turned out to be poision oak. My cousin was covered just about from head to toe. Me? I had a small rash on my arm about the size of a silver dollar which lasted 3 or 4 days. It's been about 38 years and it still does not bother me. I try to stay away from it when I can because I have heard that your body may change and it could begin to bother you.
I want to live life til the day I die....

fit2btied
Rancher
Rancher

Post by fit2btied » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 pm

J&T Farm wrote:My grandmother would mix bleach and water, soak a rag and hold it on there for about 5 min. It burned but by morning it would be all dried up and much better.

I did that last summer, but the rash got bad enough that I finally went to the doctor. He started talking about putting me in the hospital to find out what was wrong - said it wasn't poison ivy. When I told him about the bleach deal, he said it was poison ivy complicated by chemical burns. Guess I went a little heavy on the bleach.
Grandkids wanted to play Yahtzee the other day.
I needed to work on the barn, said I didn't have time.
Changed my mind - even played a few hands of Uno.
Barn is still there. So are the memories!

TLCfromARK
Rancher
Rancher

Re: ivy

Post by TLCfromARK » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:38 pm

[quote="GMN My doctor told me hot water was the worst thing you could do for poison ivy, because it expands the blod vessels, making it itch even more. I too, at first thought it felt good using hot, but after I switched to ice cold, I noticed an improvement almost immediately (at least for a lil while) :)

Gail[/quote]

GMN, I've tried the cold water also, the hot worked much better for me. I'm not against trying something new but I'm a firm believer in doing what works for me.
I hope none of us get the retched stuff ever again!

;-)

samanthasteven
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

Post by samanthasteven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:47 am

According to my experience If you treat it, the rash will go away in the next two weeks. If you delay treating it, the rash will go away in about 14 days. This article https://www.everydayhealth.com/poison-ivy/ helps us understand the severity of poison-ivy.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:11 pm

12 year old thread! Cool.

If it’s really bad then a shot is the only way to go. Steroid I believe. Thankfully it doesn’t bother me much.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sstterry » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:43 pm

samanthasteven wrote:According to my experience If you treat it, the rash will go away in the next two weeks. If you delay treating it, the rash will go away in about 14 days. This article https://www.everydayhealth.com/poison-ivy/ helps us understand the severity of poison-ivy.

I didn't major in math, but isn't two weeks and 14 days roughly the same thing?? ;-)

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

We use jewel weed in the summer when it is growing. Break the stems and rub the sap on the spots. Works pretty good. I've thought about collecting some and freezing it for winter but never have.