What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 pm
That looks like great facilities. Sorry, but I cannot imagine not being able to work any cattle with your set up. She may be a pet, but she would have to be bat shizt crazy to knock that chute over. She is way too dangerous to have around for YOUR health and well being. Untamed cattle should be able to be worked with no problem with your set up.
She sorta jumped in the alley half way out. Once it started pulling down the panels the squeeze started to tip. Luckily we had 3 men on one side to anchor it back over. This is a brand new squeeze. But I agree. I hate it but I think she will have to go once her calf is here. About 3-5 months before she calves.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Alley should have a couple of posts either side to anchor to. Saw a rig like that tip over with 6 cows in it. Was an interesting few minutes watching the owner's faces.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 am

That’s a nice enough setup you got there. We always chain the chute to the alleyway or bolt it down if on a concrete pad. I’ve had a cow hit the head gate hard enough to rock the back of the chute a foot off the ground when not chained.

Around here a cowboy gets $150 to catch a wild cow ;-) so I’d have to give you $150 back.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Lucky wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 am
That’s a nice enough setup you got there. We always chain the chute to the alleyway or bolt it down if on a concrete pad. I’ve had a cow hit the head gate hard enough to rock the back of the chute a foot off the ground when not chained.

Around here a cowboy gets $150 to catch a wild cow ;-) so I’d have to give you $150 back.
Haha I love it! I feel like we have no real cowboys around these parts. At least not ones that are interested in helping me with my cattle only haha.

That's good advice on bolting it down. This cow that rocked the squeeze is my largest cow by a long shot. She stands taller than all my other cows. Id guess shes around 1,400lbs. Very large girl. And if shes rocking it I cant imagine what would happen if we walked our bull through it as he also refuses to go through it :cry:

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 am

I'll be down in about 5 weeks or so, if there's any entertainment to be had lol
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 am
I'll be down in about 5 weeks or so, if there's any entertainment to be had lol
I kinda hope I have an issue so you have to visit me...

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm

A couple years ago I had a 350# calf bloat. I got the little sucker all the way to the chute alley and he busted through a small man gate that was shut but not latched. After that he ran through 2 fences and back to his mamma. By this time it was dark out so my only option was to chase him down on the atv and pitch a rope him. I let him settle for a few minutes and then drove the atv over rope so he couldn’t get away and punched a hole in his gut. He was fine after a week or so but always hated the atv after that. Sometimes you do what you can.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Lucky wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm
A couple years ago I had a 350# calf bloat. I got the little sucker all the way to the chute alley and he busted through a small man gate that was shut but not latched. After that he ran through 2 fences and back to his mamma. By this time it was dark out so my only option was to chase him down on the atv and pitch a rope him. I let him settle for a few minutes and then drove the atv over rope so he couldn’t get away and punched a hole in his gut. He was fine after a week or so but always hated the atv after that. Sometimes you do what you can.
Good on you! But this girl is 1200lbs+

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

1400 or 1200+? Regardless; our chute is chained and my largest cow (not bull) was 2300 heavy bred without damage to the setup. Definitely sell that girl when she calves (as a pair).

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pm

12-1400 lbs isn't that big for a cow (though it's plenty to big enough to do damage).
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 am

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm
Lucky wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm
Good on you! But this girl is 1200lbs+

Just need something bigger to park on the rope.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Post by Ryder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Guess your problem is solved by now, but for future reference I would have got a rope/halter on her.
Then cast her to get her down and examined and done whatever needed to her foot.
Of course I'm old fashioned and not up to speed on all this high tech darting and what not.
I am also too tight to spend money on high tech stuff when simple ways will work just fine.
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Post by Ryder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 pm

PS. After she has her calf if you give her some time she may settle down and be easier to work.
Ryder

Deo Vindice