Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 pm

M-5 wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I was obviously wrong to admit that's what we do for a living....so, I was disappointed too... Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".

Word of the day - Supercilious

You google that?
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".

You google that?

:lol2: :lol2: :clap:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I know lots of people who make their living on cattle. Probably over half inherited the place. The ones who didn't inherit started by working a full time job (or a couple with two full time jobs) and running cows on the side. Most probably used leased land to start off with until they owned a herd. Cattle can pay for land or land can pay for cattle but cattle won't pay for both.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Original question was do we know somebody, or does one of us. Also something to the affect of size and kind.

It would be a rare beast to put that many eggs in one basket.

I knew lots of folks that did that with tobacco. I also know lots of folks that had to start over late in life because their operation was too focused in one direction. I can hear them now," people will always smoke". They were correct. They just didn't realize it'd be a South American cigarette.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 am

You are so right mr. Foot! Tobacco, moonshine,and cotton is what got this country on its feet
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Do you or anyone you know make a living with cattle? What size and type of operation would it take in your opinion?

It seems safe to say that no one in this forum recently started up and are making a living, solely off of cattle. :lol:
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 am

M-5 wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I was obviously wrong to admit that's what we do for a living....so, I was disappointed too... Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

. Looks like it covers every angle..... :lol:
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/supercilious
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 am

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:

You google that?

Just to make sure I could pronounce it correctly ! :-)
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm

what business generates all its own monies from the start up, with no input from the enterpenuer from the get go? Every business i've seen has started from money from other places.

Why do you think cattle should be any different?

"I want to buy 100 acres, a fancy house, equipment, trucks, etc.. and those cows better pay for ALLLLLL OF IT FROM THE START!!!"

HUH!?!?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:59 pm

ddd75 wrote:what business generates all its own monies from the start up, with no input from the enterpenuer from the get go? Every business i've seen has started from money from other places.

Why do you think cattle should be any different?

"I want to buy 100 acres, a fancy house, equipment, trucks, etc.. and those cows better pay for ALLLLLL OF IT FROM THE START!!!"

HUH!?!?

Exactly...
What makes us a little different is the guys repair everything. Only when something is in warranty do they ever take it anywhere. We never buy anything unless we have the cash to pay for it, unless its 0% finance. We keep our eyes open on good deals on equipment and broken things you can get cheap...Husband got a skidder with a blown engine that included a new motor the guy ordered and never put in. The skidder sat for 5 years and the guy just wanted it gone..Got it for 5,000... WIth the motor in it working, like it is now, worth over 20,000... They've used it for many things. We got a JD tractor someone bought from a neighbor who used it to feed his horses. Guy bought it and it sat for many years..He bought it to help out the neighbor but really didn't need it. Was tired of looking at it and priced it to get rid of it quick. The list is long on things we pick up so cheap because no one can repair anything anymore.
My FIL wanted to buy land as an investment and found another guy who wanted to also. The other guy just wanted the investment, FIL wanted to live on it and run cows. And if you live somewhere where people are buying weekend retreats, great way to add land to use for hay.. Many ways to save, you just have to be creative....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:You need 3-400 mother cows nowadays to make a living off cattle alone. Add calves, replacements, bulls.. and you're approaching 800 head. There's more people in cattle lying to themselves than any other market.

I have to agree with you. I have often thought, "i'd get a more accurate answer from a drug dealer on operations management."
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Agreed also, I have neighbors whose herd numbers change weekly depending on who they are talking to or comparing themselves to
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Some of them are hyping up the operation but sadly, I think, the vast majority just don't know. They dont have good enough books to know what is actually going on.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 pm

one thing I know.. and thats to listen to no one but yourself.. and one thing I really know. is don't listen to people not making money.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Only way I can make cattle pencil out, is by leasing ground. Ive tried to make the numbers work to buy ground and pay for it with cattle. I cant at the price ground is going dor around here.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”