Cull cow to burger ?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Cull cow to burger ?

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 am

We also had 4 kids and the burger was the most used meat. We'd put a steer in the freezer just in burger to keep up. If you butcher a young calf, like at weaning, your steaks aren't going to be very big anyway. I'd make the ribeyes into rib roast instead, because I could always cut them into steaks, but I cant put steaks back into a roast...but with small steaks, they are better used in a roast. Kids werent roast eaters, so they were kept for special occasions.. One time we put a older cow in the freezer. She weighed 2000 pounds and hung out at almost 1000. Her steaks were bigger than our dinner plates. We'd joke that they were Flintstone steaks....Best meat ever...and I think I still have some of her out there in the freezer. WIth no kids at home, we rarely eat beef.. go figure
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 am

The one we just had butchered, we asked for all hamburger for our share. They called and said that it would be easier for them if we'd take some steaks, so I obliged. Our son only eats chicken and the wife isn't really big on steaks. After eating the burger, though, she was drooling and couldn't wait to try the steaks. Best beef I've ever had, wish I had kept more of him. :cry:
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 pm

The 30 month rule is federal, not state. It involves only the spinal cord/backbone area. You can get bones for soup, and other cuts, just nothing that comes from the backbone. So no T-bones but you still get sirloins with bones, and the T-bone becomes NY strip and Filets. If a butcher that is state or federally liscensed doesn't take out the backbone/spinal cord and the head/brain; and gets caught, they not only can lose their liscense, but pay a fine, lose their business, and possibly do jail time. It is over the "mad cow disease" prions, and it is related to the CWD in the deer and elk. To me it is a very small inconvenience. I do miss the backbones that have alot of meat on them to do like ribs. So I am trying to make sure that my animals get done in the 27 month range. And I do have birthdates to back up my claims.
Sure people can cheat on that, but they have to follow certain protocol with the teeth etc to determine age.

And I see no reason a person should get their animal done any way other than how they want it.

If a good butcher gets caught substituting they also can face some severe penalties. Plus, getting that kind of a reputaion would kill their business in a hurry in my opinion. Hope I never hear mine did that without my express permission.
2 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:12 am

ok ill throw this in here. on a older cow i just took she was 5 or 6. i was going to just do burger, but would the brisket be good on her?
0 x

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby willow bottom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:16 am

I don't see why not. You cook it low and slow anyway
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

ill add another question. got a bull that is 3 we will probably get rid of this summer. could i beef him as is or need to trim him first. how is the beef on a bull? Thanks.
0 x

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby willow bottom » Fri May 04, 2018 2:02 pm

The burger should be great. I'm guessing he's not your herd bull or cull?
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm

yea was going to cull. so steaks not be good?
0 x

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby willow bottom » Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Personally, I'd leave the steaks as roasts. You could always cut a steak yourself and try it. If it's too tough you could always just cook it as a roast.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 am

I have never eaten bull meat. I was always told they are equal to a steer if harvested by 15 months of age. After that, the meat gets strong flavored because of the hormones and meat fiber gets "stringy".
Does anyone know if this is true??
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 10, 2018 8:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have never eaten bull meat. I was always told they are equal to a steer if harvested by 15 months of age. After that, the meat gets strong flavored because of the hormones and meat fiber gets "stringy".

Don't know whether is true or false, but I've never ate a tough hamburger.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am

Grit - LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Bull hamburger is the best there is but will need a little white fat added to it.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have never eaten bull meat. I was always told they are equal to a steer if harvested by 15 months of age. After that, the meat gets strong flavored because of the hormones and meat fiber gets "stringy".

Had about a 1600 lb. registered holstein bull get electrocuted. We hauled him to processor, brought meat home and it was out of this world and he was breeding cattle hard and heavy. There was one roast one day that had a bit of a strong taste but only that one time. Had good marbling and was very tender. Of course he was eating 30 lbs. of an 18% dairy ration everyday along with wet brewers grain, alfalfa and hay as well so that probably helped.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm

When I butchered a bull about three y.o. a few of the steaks were very good but most were very tough.

The end cuts and flanks need to be ground for sure.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”