Black bulls/Hereford cows

The place to start if you are new!
MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Black bulls/Hereford cows

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 am

Ky hills wrote:
tncattle wrote:We might have an opportunity to buy a nice/quality set of Hereford cows. We are thinking if we do to breed them to black balancer or Angus bulls. Anyone on here currently doing this or have done this? We were gong to go with Angus cows and Hereford bulls but might have an opportunity to do the opposite.

We have done that for several years, using Angus bulls on Hereford cows, and it works well for us. The bwf steers do and sell good, and the bwf heifers are real well received as replacement females in bred heifer sales. Last year and this year we will be breeding most of our cows to Hereford bulls to get more Hereford replacements then will likely go back to some Angus bulls.
Not meaning to offend any Angus folks, but just my opinion, Hereford cows on average are a better fit for us. They are calmer, easier handing, and seem to be more fertile too.

Totally agree. We had angus for a little bit and then switched totally over to Hereford. Much calmer. and as you said seem more fertile. Seem to milk better too. Our customers at least around us prefer the Herefords over the Angus all the time. Doesn't mean Angus aren't good, They really are, just not a great fit for us. (The Angus were harder on our fences and always had a nose for the other side of the fence.)
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:25 am

I think a ""great fit"" is what a person prefers...I'm more persuaded by what Ive seen...
0 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 am

I run Hereford mammas and an Angus bull. I'm in NC. I have been transitioning over from all black cows...and the remaining handful I have are all very good and will continue to stay here. I have to say, the Hereford mammas are very good at raising a calf, they are attentive, calm, good natured, and very easy on fences. I am getting older and broke down, so disposition is a major consideration for me. The baldies sell very well here so that is a positive as well. If I change it will be to use a brangus bull just becuase I see my Angus bull suffer a lot in the summer. I don't have too many issues finding quality commercial Hereford cows...I am selective and judgmental in my looking. Now, If I was large and needed a lot of females then things would probably become more an issue. I say go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Tim
0 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 am

tncattle wrote:We might have an opportunity to buy a nice/quality set of Hereford cows. We are thinking if we do to breed them to black balancer or Angus bulls. Anyone on here currently doing this or have done this? We were gong to go with Angus cows and Hereford bulls but might have an opportunity to do the opposite.

Have you considered putting a PB Gelbvieh bull over those Hereford mommas? You could then put an Angus bull over the resulting F1's for a 3 way cross if you wanted to. I would think that there would be a good selection of Gelbvieh breeders close to your area. Post Rock cattle out of Kansas will have a sale in February, and I know they ship cattle to Clarksville Tn. Sometimes.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”