Cattle Land 50 acres

The place to start if you are new!
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cattle Land 50 acres

Postby dun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 pm

I agree, use corral panels but use T-posts at each junction of the panels. A chain with double ended dog snaps to secure the panels to the posts. That way the cows won;t be able to move them around. It will also give you flexibility to rearrange them to better suite your needs after you've used them a time or two.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 am

bird dog wrote:Craig is correct. Go visit the priefert plant where they have their scratch and dent stuff. I would get a couple of their heavier panels and bolt on a head gate. You can also use this for your load out. Is there not a pond on the place or can they not drink from the stream. Cows drink quite a bit in the summer so unless your on a well, it can add up.
its a small pond and it’s a nice size river that goes through the place on the back 25 acres
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 am

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So i have 50 acres to start off with from my fiances grandmother going to let me put cows on whenever i decide to purchase them my only concern is they I dont have catch pens or a corral. I wont be at this place forever so what type of corral should i build or should get a movable one. Also as well how many cattle should i start off with on the place I was think 3-4 bred mommas or get pairs in march or april of this yr. The 50 acres is like 10-15 up close to my house and on the side of it and the rest are behind my house theres 4 gates that I could control them being in grazing wise if I needed to. Theres a stream that runs through the land that stays flowing through summer and winter and spring time. My thoughts were buying two water troughs and just run the hose to them since the closest pasture is maybe 20 yards from it. Looking forward to getting into cattle as a hobby for now and in a few yrs get bigger. Any advice will help and let me know if I am missing anything that they will need. Lastly on 3-4 cows plus babies what would yrly expenses be on a avg if you had to estimate.

I suggest you look on Craigslist for used cattle panels that you can build a pen with. When you move, you take the cattle panels with you. You may also find a used headgate for sale. But if you are just working a few calves, two people and some rope works fine. Calves are easier to handle when they are small, of course.

Do you plan to bale hay or purchase hay to feed the cattle in the winter? It makes a difference on how many acres of available pasture you have for cattle grazing.

Can you buy as many cattle as you like, or are you on a budget?
purchase hay probably, 50 acres for grazing all good grass how much feed a day would I have to feed for or 4 cows.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I’m only 23 I want to get started now on a small scale just to feel things out and just add as I get older you know.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 am

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So i have 50 acres to start off with from my fiances grandmother going to let me put cows on whenever i decide to purchase them my only concern is they I dont have catch pens or a corral. I wont be at this place forever so what type of corral should i build or should get a movable one. Also as well how many cattle should i start off with on the place I was think 3-4 bred mommas or get pairs in march or april of this yr. The 50 acres is like 10-15 up close to my house and on the side of it and the rest are behind my house theres 4 gates that I could control them being in grazing wise if I needed to. Theres a stream that runs through the land that stays flowing through summer and winter and spring time. My thoughts were buying two water troughs and just run the hose to them since the closest pasture is maybe 20 yards from it. Looking forward to getting into cattle as a hobby for now and in a few yrs get bigger. Any advice will help and let me know if I am missing anything that they will need. Lastly on 3-4 cows plus babies what would yrly expenses be on a avg if you had to estimate.

I suggest you look on Craigslist for used cattle panels that you can build a pen with. When you move, you take the cattle panels with you. You may also find a used headgate for sale. But if you are just working a few calves, two people and some rope works fine. Calves are easier to handle when they are small, of course.

Do you plan to bale hay or purchase hay to feed the cattle in the winter? It makes a difference on how many acres of available pasture you have for cattle grazing.

Can you buy as many cattle as you like, or are you on a budget?
I don’t want to get more then 5 cows preferably bred trying to get some for 10k or lower.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:50 am

There leasing cows on it now but there taking them off this week herd about 20-30 but they usually are in the back pasture most of the time this whole winter and there owner hasn’t brought them hay or minerals.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am

3 questions
1. Cost of keeping up 3-5 cattle in a yr plus a couple calves.
2. How often will they need hay ? How often will they need feed on a regular basis or cake ?
3. Vaccination a year?
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
purchase hay probably, 50 acres for grazing all good grass how much feed a day would I have to feed for or 4 cows.

A cow will eat approximately 2% of her body weight per day. There is probably some grass to eat even in the winter in East Texas, but it is not high quality feed since it is dried up.

If you have a 1,200 pound cow, that cow will eat about 24 pounds of hay per day. Four cows that size will eat about 96 pounds of hay per day. You can adjust how much hay you provide in the winter by how fast the cows are eating the hay. If you put out hay and there is hay available 24 hours later, you can cut back. If all the hay is eaten, you can put out a little more hay.

Here is an ad. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/d ... 21616.html
These are Braford cattle, which are a cross between Hereford and Brahman. They are popular in Texas. The ad says the cows have been bred to an Angus bull, which should produce good calves.

It states, "Bred Heifers and Bred 3-5 yr old Cows $1675". I would suggest picking out five of these Braford cows that have had one calf before. This will reduce the chance that you will have calving problems.

The price for five bred Braford cows would be $8,375.

I would suggest breeding these cows in the future to a continental European breed of bull, since the Braford is a cross of a British breed and a breed created from Indian cattle. I would suggest a homozygous black Simmental bull, meaning the bull carries two black hair genes. Black seems to be very popular for cattle. The easiest thing to do is rent a bull to breed your cows.

Another good way is to buy Hereford cows and breed them to an Angus or Brangus bull to create black cattle with white faces. You can keep all the heifers, if you want, and sell the bulls/steers. Each year you rent a different bull and you can breed all the Hereford cows and the Black Baldy cows with an Angus or Brangus bull. This way you keep growing your herd and at the same time producing cattle to sell.

You can also breed a Red Angus bull to the Hereford cows to create Red Baldies, a Charolais bull to the Hereford cows to create Yellow Baldies, or a Brahman bull to the Hereford cows to create Braford cattle.

I would also suggest buying polled Hereford since they are born without horns.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Thank you that helped a lot my goal is to get Braford because I been told they bring in a lot of money. And seeing they sell for a lot .

Might go brangus or just angus but know for sure I want to breed a Brahman bull to whatever I have.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:19 pm

I would get the other guys cows off as soon as possible. Like most people that lease, he is overgrazing the place.
There are numerous sale barns in your area. Go sit through the cow part of a few of these to kinda get a feel for pricing. Like everyone on here will tell you, its best for beginners to start with some mid-age cows that have a few calves under their belt.

You might want to have the sale barn owner introduce you to a cattle buyer that will buy you some gentle solid mouth (5-7 year old cows). The sale barn will also get you in touch with somebody to haul them if you don't have a trailer. Buy some in February that are 6-7 months bred so they will calve when you have grass. I would bet you have plenty of spring Rye grass.

On 50 acres the 5 cows will not need anything else until early winter. By then the calves would be ready to sell. Probably two round bales per cow would be enough if you have a way to handle them.
The sale barn may also vaccinate the cows if you want. I would at least get them wormed. I would give them some range cubes every once in a while to get them used to you and make them easier to catch. Feed them in the pen you are going to build. Water from the pond and creek is sufficient I would think. Its not to far for them to walk.

Your smart to only start with a few head to get some experience. Screw ups can be expensive.
2 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Thank you that helped a lot my goal is to get Braford because I been told they bring in a lot of money. And seeing they sell for a lot .

Might go brangus or just angus but know for sure I want to breed a Brahman bull to whatever I have.

If you are set on a Brahman bull, I think you would be best off if you buy Hereford cows. As you said, Brafords sell well in Texas.

Do you already have a Brahman bull or have one available through family or friends?

https://futurebeef.com.au/knowledge-cen ... ef-cattle/
This article shows the advantages of cross-breeding different breeds of cattle. Generally we are working with British breeds, continental European breeds, and the Indian breeds. If you cross say a Brahman with a Hereford you get an 8.5% increase in growth with the calves. If you keep those cross-bred heifers and breed them to a continental bull, such as a Charolais, Limousin, or Simmental,you will get calves that will grow 23.3 percent over straight breeding.

You can have your Hereford cows and Brahman bull and then breed the Braford heifers from that cross to a black Simmental bull. Black calves are also popular.

You can also bring in a Hereford bull to put on your Hereford cows to breed your own replacement heifers.
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

bird dog wrote:I would get the other guys cows off as soon as possible. Like most people that lease, he is overgrazing the place.
There are numerous sale barns in your area. Go sit through the cow part of a few of these to kinda get a feel for pricing. Like everyone on here will tell you, its best for beginners to start with some mid-age cows that have a few calves under their belt.

You might want to have the sale barn owner introduce you to a cattle buyer that will buy you some gentle solid mouth (5-7 year old cows). The sale barn will also get you in touch with somebody to haul them if you don't have a trailer. Buy some in February that are 6-7 months bred so they will calve when you have grass. I would bet you have plenty of spring Rye grass.

On 50 acres the 5 cows will not need anything else until early winter. By then the calves would be ready to sell. Probably two round bales per cow would be enough if you have a way to handle them.
The sale barn may also vaccinate the cows if you want. I would at least get them wormed. I would give them some range cubes every once in a while to get them used to you and make them easier to catch. Feed them in the pen you are going to build. Water from the pond and creek is sufficient I would think. Its not to far for them to walk.

Your smart to only start with a few head to get some experience. Screw ups can be expensive.
yeah I have someone I know can move the cows to my place whenever I get some for sure my brother in law and father in law can help me with the pen building it. My real concern do I have to still give them feed weekly or just certain times of the yr.. I’ve asked different people and gotten different answers. I found 4 cows that will be 6 months bred and 1 cow is 8 months bred . For a total of 3750 . 45 mins from me I’m going to go look at the tomorrow to check them out.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Thank you that helped a lot my goal is to get Braford because I been told they bring in a lot of money. And seeing they sell for a lot .

If you are set on a Brahman bull, I think you would be best off if you buy Hereford cows. As you said, Brafords sell well in Texas.

Do you already have a Brahman bull or have one available through family or friends?

https://futurebeef.com.au/knowledge-cen ... ef-cattle/
This article shows the advantages of cross-breeding different breeds of cattle. Generally we are working with British breeds, continental European breeds, and the Indian breeds. If you cross say a Brahman with a Hereford you get an 8.5% increase in growth with the calves. If you keep those cross-bred heifers and breed them to a continental bull, such as a Charolais, Limousin, or Simmental,you will get calves that will grow 23.3 percent over straight breeding.

You can have your Hereford cows and Brahman bull and then breed the Braford heifers from that cross to a black Simmental bull. Black calves are also popular.

You can also bring in a Hereford bull to put on your Hereford cows to breed your own replacement heifers.
I have been looking up some Brahman trying to find some in east tx that are pretty good Bulls. I know if I get one I’ll have to pay a hefty amount for a good one. I was thinking if I got bred cows then I possibly could breed them back if I had a bull if I get bred cows I don’t know if I will rush to buy my own bull...
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Bfields30 wrote: I have been looking up some Brahman trying to find some in east tx that are pretty good Bulls. I know if I get one I’ll have to pay a hefty amount for a good one. I was thinking if I got bred cows then I possibly could breed them back if I had a bull if I get bred cows I don’t know if I will rush to buy my own bull...

I think it is easiest to rent a bull for a month. You can rent a bull for about $250 for a month.

Here is an ad in East Texas for Hereford heifers and cows that seem to be bred to a Brahman bull and are set to start calving soon. The asking price is $1,575 per head.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/d ... 50405.html

You do not have to feed all the time. You just feed at times like in the winter when the grass stops growing or if it gets very dry in the summer and all the grass is dead. I do recommend that you put out mineral blocks for your cows all year.

I would think 10 round bales for the year would be plenty of hay for five cows and their calves. The round bales sell for about $40 each.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
bird dog wrote:I found 4 cows that will be 6 months bred and 1 cow is 8 months bred . For a total of 3750 . 45 mins from me I’m going to go look at the tomorrow to check them out.

That is pretty cheap. What breed are these cows, and what breed of bull was used on them?
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”