Cattle Land 50 acres

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Cattle Land 50 acres

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I’m narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf’s if I don’t steer them . I know I’m all over the place but I’m just trying to make the right decision.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Bfields30 wrote:So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I’m narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf’s if I don’t steer them . I know I’m all over the place but I’m just trying to make the right decision.
v
Ask yourself, why would anyone buy a bull from me? Band or cut everything, if you want to try and sell something to the public, sell heifers.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Ask yourself, why would anyone buy a bull from me? Band or cut everything, if you want to try and sell something to the public, sell heifers.

Yup. We've been at it for 6 years now and until this fall, steered every bull we got. This fall we finally felt comfortable enough (and had 2 generations of great AI sires, and a good maternal line) that we left one uncut. A guy really liked him and took him home a few weeks ago.

Also to the poster: questioning why you would want to buy a bull to cover only 4 mamas? Sounds like a very expensive way to go (and risk the bull getting bored and ornery). Bet you could get a cheaper, easier breeding option by sending your girls out to a neighbors for 45 days (or whatever); or renting a bull. Or possibly better genetics through artificial insemination (once you have a way to catch them). :2cents:
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:48 pm

boondocks wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Ask yourself, why would anyone buy a bull from me? Band or cut everything, if you want to try and sell something to the public, sell heifers.

Yup. We've been at it for 6 years now and until this fall, steered every bull we got. This fall we finally felt comfortable enough (and had 2 generations of great AI sires, and a good maternal line) that we left one uncut. A guy really liked him and took him home a few weeks ago.

Also to the poster: questioning why you would want to buy a bull to cover only 4 mamas? Sounds like a very expensive way to go (and risk the bull getting bored and ornery). Bet you could get a cheaper, easier breeding option by sending your girls out to a neighbors for 45 days (or whatever); or renting a bull. Or possibly better genetics through artificial insemination (once you have a way to catch them). :2cents:
understandable
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:38 pm

So how many cows should i have to have a bull ???
0 x

Belzora
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Belzora » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it’s fine

I'm between Quitman and Winnsboro, on 14. I'd be happy to show you around my setup
1 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Bfields30 wrote:So how many cows should i have to have a bull ???

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.
2 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Belzora wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it’s fine

I'm between Quitman and Winnsboro, on 14. I'd be happy to show you around my setup

Will do I’ll dm you got your number
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 am

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So how many cows should i have to have a bull ???

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.
I found some angus 3n1 for 1800 around Commerce I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 of them calf’s our couple months old as well ... feel like that I could build faster like that open for opinions though
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 pm

3 in 1 is always a great deal.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Since I’m a beginner would it be bad to purchase heifers or even bred heifers ? Pros cons of them I seen people saying the problems having them giving birth . Or should just go with the cows bred and experienced having a calf already
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Since I’m a beginner would it be bad to purchase heifers or even bred heifers ? Pros cons of them I seen people saying the problems having them giving birth . Or should just go with the cows bred and experienced having a calf already

There is less risk buying cows that have had at least one calf before. So all other things being equal, you are better off with young cows.
2 x

mdt192
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mdt192 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Since I’m a beginner would it be bad to purchase heifers or even bred heifers ? Pros cons of them I seen people saying the problems having them giving birth . Or should just go with the cows bred and experienced having a calf already

Bred cows are usually cheaper and know what they are doing. You may not get as many years/calves out of them as a heifer, but you will probably have less headache getting started up.

Just be careful buying them from a barn. I'd be hard pressed to send a proven producer to the sale barn.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Buying out of a sale barn is absolutely taboo in my mind. BUT - different areas have much different offerings. You would be hard pressed to find a decent bred beef cow here unless the sale barn has been promoting a farm dispersal.
Edit: if you are new to raising cattle, a bred COW is better for you to start out with.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

i agree with jeanne.

but if you are out west you can get a lot better cattle at the barns it seems.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”