newbie homemade water tank-can calves use it?

The place to start if you are new!
pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

newbie homemade water tank-can calves use it?

Postby pdubdo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm brand new to this but thought I'd try to make my own. Unfortunately the sidewalls proved impossible to cut through with chainsaw, sawzall (tried 4 diff blades), angle grinder, or circular saw. Saw as-is, could calves use it? the inner opening is about 38" across and it's just over 2 feet high. This project has been frustrating and thinking it may be time to bury this thing and just spend the $100 and buy one.

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: newbie homemade water tank-can calves use it?

Postby M-5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Those skidder tires are hard to get cut . Nextime get a tractor tire and you will see its much easier . I don't think a calf will be able to use it and if one happens to get up on it he risk getting hung up.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 am

Were you trying to cut through the bead?
I've done a bunch of them, and never had any problem cutting the sidewall with a sawzall... even if they had steel belting in them, I could cut all the way around in under 2-3 minutes, max...non-steel-belted, about as fast as I could work my way around them. Hardest part is getting the blade started through the sidewall, but after that, easy-peasy.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 am

Next thing will be a cow will break the pipe in the middle.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Sd1030
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Sd1030 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Ive done a couple and they can be cut but i dont try to cut through the bead. Ill drill a hole in the side wall big enough to get the sawzall blade in and go to cutting. Also found if you got someone who can hold up on the side wall as you cut will help keep blade from binding. I also decided to mount my valve back under the lip of whats left of the side wall to try to protect it from the cattle messing with it. Overall ive been very happy with how well these work.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 am

i bought some huge loader tires and cut them.. those babies were around 3" thick. It took about 8 hours a tire with the chainsaw to cut through.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 am

The right tire they are easy to cut with chain saw or a sawzall. most of the time I use a chain saw but cut one a couple weeks ago with a sawzall. most people will tell you to stay away from skidder tires I like the loader , earth mover tires.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pdubdo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:38 am

update: tore it out and put in a 200 gal concrete tank. Best $100 I spent in a while :).
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”