Time to get rid of the bull

The place to start if you are new!
mtnhunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Time to get rid of the bull

Postby mtnhunter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:11 pm

How do you know when its time to get rid of a bull? Mine bowed his neck and growled today with his tounge hanging out. When I threw a rock at him he barely moved off and stared at me like "I owed him money" Hes coming on three years old and has been pretty calm so far. Last year when I put him through the chute he didnt like it and after I turned him out he went the log way around to try and get behind me. How do you decide what is being too agressive?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Time to get rid of the bull

Postby Silver » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Everyone has their red line. I would suggest if you don't trust him then don't keep him around.
4 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:27 pm

I would get rid of him. It is not worth the risk or headache.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Yup, trust your gut. Few years ago I had a coming 3 year old that I just never liked, never trusted. Tried to take out my husband one day and that was it. Why did we wait so long? Planned on taking him to the Sale Barn that week but a friend that has a huge operation, does everything on horseback, wanted this bull because he had awesome EPD's - except obviously not docility. They still have him, he's still aggressive, we're still alive. Side note: I retained 3 of his heifers, one is even named Sweetie Pie.
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Yes it seems you have become wary of him and he has picked that up. No matter how hard you try you won't be able to reverse things so I think the partnership is over, he needs to go before damage is done.

Ken
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:39 pm

mtnhunter wrote:How do you know when its time to get rid of a bull? Mine bowed his neck and growled today with his tounge hanging out. When I threw a rock at him he barely moved off and stared at me like "I owed him money" Hes coming on three years old and has been pretty calm so far. Last year when I put him through the chute he didnt like it and after I turned him out he went the log way around to try and get behind me. How do you decide what is being too agressive?

I've had several Bulls through the years.... wasnt a one of them, that liked the chute...some of my most docile, were Aggravating when working them..as far as the aggressiveness goes, sounds like he's testing you.. Sorta like your a threat to him,or a little to close to his zone.like silver said..depending on your knowledge and capability..Some are bluffing and some,Will eat your lunch...but I don't want one I gotta watch constantly or walk the long way around...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Sounds like he's being a bull.
Just leave him alone and let him do his thing. Don't run through the chute, don't approach head on, don't pet, don't try to entrap him, don't yell or beat with a stick, and for sure don't bother when with a cow in heat!
As long as he's not coming after you while your just walk through the pasture, just leave him alone.
When it comes time to put him on a trailer, just back the trailer up, and more than likely he will jump in with time, and feed.
2 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Sounds like he's being a bull.
Just leave him alone and let him do his thing. Don't run through the chute, don't approach head on, don't pet, don't try to entrap him, don't yell or beat with a stick, and for sure don't bother when with a cow in heat!
As long as he's not coming after you while your just walk through the pasture, just leave him alone.
When it comes time to put him on a trailer, just back the trailer up, and more than likely he will jump in with time, and feed.

And stop throwing rocks at him. Nobody likes having rocks thrown at them.
Last edited by TennesseeTuxedo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrangusUSA » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Mtnhunter you can get rid of that bull before he hurts someone or after. Simple choice and that easy. Once that behavior starts it does not get better. I try to NEVER turn my back on a bull and I take simple steps like putting out feed while the cattle are locked outside the gate, etc. That being said I am not looking over my shoulder while fixing a fence.
Last year brother had two bulls. I named one Junior and one Psycho. I named Psycho that the first time he bowed up and started rotating that head at my brother. He blew me off on my concerns. Next time Psycho chased one of the kids feeding hogs then chased a neighbor riding through. Then I was riding through with my brother and he got off to check Psycho. Psycho chased my brother behind a tree while my brother was throwing rocks and yelling at him. I sat in the Kawasaki Mule laughing. That was mean but brother had been warned. Psycho went to the sale barn the next week. I would have made him hamburger instead.
Your bull will get more aggressive with time and age not less. Dump the bull before you get hurt.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm

A rock sure won't deter a bull....
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:A rock sure won't deter a bull....

All you have to do is hit him the head with a fence post that'll fix him.
4 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 pm

I had one, a number of years ago, that started that nonsense. He was about 5 or 6 at the time. I did not run from him, but kept an eye on him when I was out in the pastures and fields. After a bit of time, he started crow-hopping, shaking his head and blowing snot while coming right for me. A few days later he did it every time he saw me or anyone, whether we were in the fields or not. So, That's when I decided that he needed to go, while we were still able to get him in the working pen and up the chute and into a trailer. He wasn't worth the liability, and I no longer felt safe.

If you feel he's not safe, then he's not safe for you. Time to grow a set of wheels.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

As good a place as any to put this:
A word to the wise...never ride a bicycle thru a pasture with a beefmaster bull in it, even if the fishing down at the pond is good and the doc says you need more exercise...................unless you can pedal really really fast thru wet soggy ground...and that's all I have to say about that. :oops: :help:
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:16 pm

greybeard wrote:As good a place as any to put this:
A word to the wise...never ride a bicycle thru a pasture with a beefmaster bull in it, even if the fishing down at the pond is good and the doc says you need more exercise...................unless you can pedal really really fast thru wet soggy ground...and that's all I have to say about that. :oops: :help:

Did the bike survive?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 am

ez14. wrote:
greybeard wrote:As good a place as any to put this:

Did the bike survive?

Greybeard has a way of embellishing his stories :P

Did the bike survive?[/quote]Cow language isn't that intuitive to us.. They do have a kind of grunt with the tongue hanging out that, for as much as I can tell, means pet me, feed me, or something along those lines.. I've had several cows and some bulls do it and it has never indicated a problem. Pawing the ground is a dealbreaker

That said, if you're uncomfortable with it, they pick up on that, and they can turn that into a game of their own.. It's a game to them at least!
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Beginners Board”