So it's still not spring

The place to start if you are new!
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: So it's still not spring

Postby Nesikep » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 pm

about 25F here this morning, freezing rain last night.. gorgeous day but chilly.. of course I had a calf born at 5am.. was nice all bloody week before this, why'd she have to carry him 4 days overdue??
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Nesikep wrote:about 25F here this morning, freezing rain last night.. gorgeous day but chilly.. of course I had a calf born at 5am.. was nice all bloody week before this, why'd she have to carry him 4 days overdue??

I'm sure they do it on purpose. Only had six calves all day yesterday, thankfully mostly during the day when it was warmish. Of course at 2:00 am this morning when it's -20 I found myself dragging 3 calves into the barn.
1 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Silver wrote:
Nesikep wrote:about 25F here this morning, freezing rain last night.. gorgeous day but chilly.. of course I had a calf born at 5am.. was nice all bloody week before this, why'd she have to carry him 4 days overdue??

I'm sure they do it on purpose. Only had six calves all day yesterday, thankfully mostly during the day when it was warmish. Of course at 2:00 am this morning when it's -20 I found myself dragging 3 calves into the barn.

That is really cold!!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:38 am

MRRherefords wrote:
Silver wrote:

That is really cold!!

-20C I think... about -4F.. yeah, still too cold for my liking.

Silver, would you close the darned door?!?
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 am

Nesikep wrote:
MRRherefords wrote:
Silver wrote:

That is really cold!!

Talk to the folks in Minnesota and New York, I'm blaming this squarely on them!
0 x

RyanE7
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RyanE7 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 am

Ha! They know the best time to have em

Had 11 have em in -24c with a 35km wind when a few days before it was sunny an +4C
oh well, they know best
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Silver wrote:
Nesikep wrote:
MRRherefords wrote:That is really cold!!

Ha ha usually 50F here by now but 28F and 5” of snow so far and talking 5” more!
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Franke wrote:
Silver wrote:
Nesikep wrote:-20C I think... about -4F.. yeah, still too cold for my liking.

Ha ha usually 50F here by now but 28F and 5” of snow so far and talking 5” more!

Snowing here in upstate NY too. It's not unusual here to get snow in early April. What's unusual is that we haven't had any real warm-up at all yet. The lows are still quite low, and it doesn't look ready to change real soon. But the birds are coming out. They're like "screw it, it's SPRING!"
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 pm

This is not normal here either, creeks should be flowing, hills bared off, and songbirds singing. Had some geese do a flyover about 3 weeks ago, must have been scouts that went back to the flock and sounded the retreat! lol
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Sure is a shock for some of the April-calving guys here. Their memories are terribly short as to how unpredictable April can be. Nothing here till May 5th and if I have anything much earlier than that, they will go to May 15th next year. Absolutely no snowball calves for me - those calves a month earlier are not worth that much more.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Aaron wrote:Sure is a shock for some of the April-calving guys here. Their memories are terribly short as to how unpredictable April can be. Nothing here till May 5th and if I have anything much earlier than that, they will go to May 15th next year. Absolutely no snowball calves for me - those calves a month earlier are not worth that much more.

I've got a million other things to do in May besides calve out cows.
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 pm

We’ve seen geese and pocket gophers but it’s still had some single digit mornings. No real improvements in the weather in sight for two weeks or so. When it does straighten out it will be a mad dash for the fieldwork.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Silver wrote:

good cattleman does what it takes to keep em alive..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Silver wrote:
Aaron wrote:Sure is a shock for some of the April-calving guys here. Their memories are terribly short as to how unpredictable April can be. Nothing here till May 5th and if I have anything much earlier than that, they will go to May 15th next year. Absolutely no snowball calves for me - those calves a month earlier are not worth that much more.

I've got a million other things to do in May besides calve out cows.

Weather is easier so cows can actually do the work themselves. I still get lots accomplished during calving. I check once in morning and maybe afternoon and once just before dark. Go fencing, put fertilizer on, fix machinery, etc. It's much less work calving out cows in May than in February/March. But I do understand some people really like to baby their cows. One guy just told me today that he had hardly seen the last 20 of his calves born, like it was a big deal - I see very few calves born every year.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Rubbed one down, put on a calf coat, and placed her in a straw nest early this morning. The whole nest way shaking from the shivering, but she is sucking like a vacuum cleaner this afternoon.

Expecting 3 degrees with a -15 wind chill tonight. My windbreak tree order will be here is less than two weeks...
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”