So it's still not spring

The place to start if you are new!
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: So it's still not spring

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 pm

I need to turn my cows out on the range in May, so they need to be done calving and ready to go fend off the wolves and bears. I'm not blessed with tame private pasture.
And I need to get rid of the calves in late October early November, and March born calves are always worth at least a couple hundred bucks more each at that time of year. I'm not afraid of a little hard work to make the extra dollar, but to each their own.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:25 am

We calve our cows on grass. Check once or twice a day. No scours. Pull a calf every third year or so. Uterine prolapses a bit more often. Finding twins is the only common issue. Heifers are another story.
0 x
Stocker Steve

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 am

I like April because the days are usually warmish, even when "cold" it still isn't that cold, and when the sun comes out it is very warm. If I wait until May around here then generally everything is mud and mush, there is no firm or dry ground. Things dry up in June around here but then the black flies get so bad that the cows won't hardly stand still long enough to nurse. Also by then they are on pasture farther from home so you have to worry about wolves and cougars getting newborns....

I don't "baby" my animals by any means they are out in a field with some brush and trees for protection and rolled out hay to lay on. Had my first calf born last night and it was 16* and windy all night, I didn't worry one bit about her. Keep good mothering cows and breed some thick hair into them so they can survive the elements and let them be.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 am

Wind chill almost zero tonight and winds 65mph. Our lows are staying around 21 (before wind chill is factored in). Getting snow and cold rain every.single.day is getting O.L.D. No break in the weather for as far as the forecast goes out (ie at least the next 2 weeks). Can I just get ONE decent semi-sunny day now and then to get me through the rest? This isn't boding well for cutting hay by end of May. Still got snow in many places....
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Wind chill here was 1 this morning. This weather sucks! Some years guys are already itching to get the planters in the field and the way it is going right now they will be lucky to start planting by May 1. We've already had to treat a week old calve that we were worried about dying on us because of this up and down weather. The neighbor just down the road has already lost some calves to pneumonia.

It was in the 50's today but tomorrow's high is predicted to be around 30 and snow in the forecast for both Friday and Sunday. Ready for warmer weather to get here and stay!
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 pm

60 and sun today but a bit breezy. It was down to 20 at 630 a.m. this morning !!!! Was cold, cloudy and windy yesterday with gusts in the 35mph range. Tomorrow in the 60's then clouding up. Rain Fri eve, then a cold front coming in and possible snow on Sat. Anywhere from a trace on the grassy areas to 2 plus inches and only in the 30's on Sat. Sunny Sunday and then precip on Sun night with possibility of snow again. Oh for some real honest NORMAL spring weather and temps.

What's going to happen is we will get a couple of days for "spring", then it will go directly into summer like it did several years ago. I just pray that we get some moisture in June or July. If it doesn't warm up soon, the hay may never get to growing.

I can't imagine being up in the mid-west or the north-east though. That's why I moved 500 plus miles south....
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Its 18 ABOVE zero and snowing lightly. Perfect calving weather! May take a snowmobile run after feeding tomorrow.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm

boondocks wrote:Wind chill almost zero tonight and winds 65mph. Our lows are staying around 21 (before wind chill is factored in). Getting snow and cold rain every.single.day is getting O.L.D. No break in the weather for as far as the forecast goes out (ie at least the next 2 weeks). Can I just get ONE decent semi-sunny day now and then to get me through the rest? This isn't boding well for cutting hay by end of May. Still got snow in many places....

What you described so vividly is precisely why I had to put the twin tiers in my review mirror. I loved NY.... for the 3 months there is nice weather. It was the other 9 that did me in.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Rubbed one down, put on a calf coat, and placed her in a straw nest early this morning. The whole nest way shaking from the shivering, but she is sucking like a vacuum cleaner this afternoon.

Expecting 3 degrees with a -15 wind chill tonight. My windbreak tree order will be here is less than two weeks...

More info please. I need to come up with a better windbreak.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:23 pm

State forester here will design windbreaks for you. Usually 5 to 7 rows, with a lot of evergreens. They often use white spruce since it establishes well.

Anyone know how to frost seed trees?
1 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:29 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I like April because the days are usually warmish, even when "cold" it still isn't that cold, and when the sun comes out it is very warm. If I wait until May around here then generally everything is mud and mush, there is no firm or dry ground. Things dry up in June around here but then the black flies get so bad that the cows won't hardly stand still long enough to nurse. Also by then they are on pasture farther from home so you have to worry about wolves and cougars getting newborns....

I don't "baby" my animals by any means they are out in a field with some brush and trees for protection and rolled out hay to lay on. Had my first calf born last night and it was 16* and windy all night, I didn't worry one bit about her. Keep good mothering cows and breed some thick hair into them so they can survive the elements and let them be.

I have a friend by Baudette.. I hear all about that weather!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 am

Been in the single digits the last few nights but at least it's been dry. Weather guessers are watching a storm that could drop 3 feet of snow on us later this week.... I'm hoping they wrong.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Keep good mothering cows and breed some thick hair into them so they can survive the elements and let them be.

What are your thick hair breeds?
0 x
Stocker Steve

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:48 am

Breed Galloway both belted and solid into most of my animals. They have nice thick coats and handle our 7 months of winter and 16 to 25 feet of snow accumulation without any trouble.
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:03 am

Supposed to get several degrees above freezing today for a change, then 3 days of cloud and highs of 0C with a big dump of snow tomorrow. Ugh.
Never bred for hair here before, but we don't get the wet snow and strong winds like you would along the Lakes. Cows tend to naturally hair up pretty good and handle our "dry cold" pretty good.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”