So it's still not spring

The place to start if you are new!
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: So it's still not spring

Postby Ky hills » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:19 am

Woke up this morning to 35* and a skift of wet snow almost covering the ground. Most years I'm through with hay feeding by 1'st week in April. They have slowed up eating it but are still around it. Peach tree in the yard is blooming out, don't look like a promising year for peaches here. This time last year had some garden planted and potatoes and greens up, and was ready to plant some corn and beans. This year been too wet to even think about getting anything planted yet.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:46 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Breed Galloway both belted and solid into most of my animals. They have nice thick coats and handle our 7 months of winter and 16 to 25 feet of snow accumulation without any trouble.

Great. I was afraid you had Highlanders and could not find them in deep snow.

How much better is a Galloway hair coat than Herefords?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Breed Galloway both belted and solid into most of my animals. They have nice thick coats and handle our 7 months of winter and 16 to 25 feet of snow accumulation without any trouble.

Great. I was afraid you had Highlanders and could not find them in deep snow.

How much better is a Galloway hair coat than Herefords?

Much better, at least twice as good. However the price dockage at the sales barn is also twice that of any other breed. One local here gets almost $1/lb. discount at the yards. Too small of a carcass, too much exterior fat at grading after being on hot feedlot ration and too much tag on animal at slaughter.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Much better, at least twice as good. However the price dockage at the sales barn is also twice that of any other breed. One local here gets almost $1/lb. discount at the yards. Too small of a carcass, too much exterior fat at grading after being on hot feedlot ration and too much tag on animal at slaughter.

There was a ND guy pushing Galloway x Angus F1 replacement heifers for a while. Claimed they were the ultimate black cow for the artic vortex. Any Rainy District results on this "Gallus" or "Angoway" cross ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Hair is much better than the herefords. I don't breed straight galloway do I don't see a dock at the sale generally, my galloway X angus have been bringing the same as my Angus and Angus X herefords. In the summer and early fall when they are shed out it is hard to tell the difference, come winter it is obvious.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Much better, at least twice as good. However the price dockage at the sales barn is also twice that of any other breed. One local here gets almost $1/lb. discount at the yards. Too small of a carcass, too much exterior fat at grading after being on hot feedlot ration and too much tag on animal at slaughter.

There was a ND guy pushing Galloway x Angus F1 replacement heifers for a while. Claimed they were the ultimate black cow for the artic vortex. Any Rainy District results on this "Gallus" or "Angoway" cross ?

I don't know of anyone local that buys his bulls, and I pretty much know everyone. He ships some East and West to other Galloway breeders. Everyone is too scared of getting the Galloway hair dockage. Two years ago we had yearlings come in back to back in the ring with his. My 900 lb Hereford steers ran around the 1.60 mark and his Galloways, same weight, struggled over .90/lb.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 pm

I have some commercial Herefords with curly hair, and one cow that throws calves will a lot of curly hair. They have that Galloway/old timey spaniel look. Is there a curly coated Hereford strain or do you think there is something else in the mix?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Aaron wrote:Everyone is too scared of getting the Galloway hair dockage. Two years ago we had yearlings come in back to back in the ring with his. My 900 lb Hereford steers ran around the 1.60 mark and his Galloways, same weight, struggled over .90/lb.

I bought some discounted Galloway stockers one winter. Very hardy, much more than the improved English type, but lower ADG. i think they would do well as grass fed, not feedlot, beef.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:I have some commercial Herefords with curly hair, and one cow that throws calves will a lot of curly hair. They have that Galloway/old timey spaniel look. Is there a curly coated Hereford strain or do you think there is something else in the mix?

Curly hair very common in the horned Herefords, not so much in the polled. I try to breed for it as much as I can, much better insulating value than straight hair.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Everyone is too scared of getting the Galloway hair dockage. Two years ago we had yearlings come in back to back in the ring with his. My 900 lb Hereford steers ran around the 1.60 mark and his Galloways, same weight, struggled over .90/lb.

I bought some discounted Galloway stockers one winter. Very hardy, much more than the improved English type, but lower ADG. i think they would do well as grass fed, not feedlot, beef.

Yes, they really shine in forage only, niche marketing. Even Herefords aren't as hardy as a Galloway because they have a bigger frame to maintain.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:12 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Hair is much better than the herefords. I don't breed straight galloway do I don't see a dock at the sale generally, my galloway X angus have been bringing the same as my Angus and Angus X herefords. In the summer and early fall when they are shed out it is hard to tell the difference, come winter it is obvious.

Intrigued by that cross, being likewise in cold climes. With the long hair, are your galloway-angus crosses more, or less, subject to lice etc? We struggle with it a bit in the winter, especially if we've not had much sunshine and their coats have stayed wet.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 am

Haven't had too much trouble with lice. Now and then it will pop up but doesn't seem any more prevalent than in the other crosses.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 am

Spring arrived here today. I can see the tops of 5x6 bales in the yard!
0 x
Stocker Steve

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Water was running yesterday, saw a goose do a fly by, but today it's right at the freezing mark and supposed to get a few inches of snow.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 am

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, really bad storm coming through the next several days. STOP THE MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
(seriously, it's getting to me! We are weeks behind).
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”