using cow $hit as compost

The place to start if you are new!
Nicklausjames
Cowhand
Cowhand

using cow $hit as compost

Postby Nicklausjames » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I have a bunch of cow crap that has been sitting in my field the past year. I was planning on cleaning up as much of it as I can. Is it still valuable as compost since it has been sitting in the elements out in the open for the past year?
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Re: using cow $hit as compost

Postby BC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

It certainly will work. It will have lost about half the nitrogen in that amount of time but the P and K are still there. Straight cow manure doesn't compost too well as you will have a hard time getting and keeping enough air in it. And mixing old hay, straw, and sawdust into it help keep it loose will cause your C to N ratio to be off. It will help a garden barring any issues with past herbicides. Mostly by increasing the organic mater in the soil.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

BC wrote:What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.

That is affirmative! Where I used to work, they brought a truck-load of manure to the veggie area, and it killed off half of what was planted.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
BC wrote:What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.

That is affirmative! Where I used to work, they brought a truck-load of manure to the veggie area, and it killed off half of what was planted.

There is an herbicide named Clorperalid (sp) that gets used on grain crops. Use that straw in compost and it will sure kill all the peas and beans.
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Every year we scrape our corral and feeding areas when the ground starts to dry out. Push into a pile and turn every few weeks to compost it. Put it in the garden every year. Works great!
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Double R Ranch wrote:Every year we scrape our corral and feeding areas when the ground starts to dry out. Push into a pile and turn every few weeks to compost it. Put it in the garden every year. Works great!

How long do you let it compost before using it on your garden?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm

greybeard wrote:
Double R Ranch wrote:Every year we scrape our corral and feeding areas when the ground starts to dry out. Push into a pile and turn every few weeks to compost it. Put it in the garden every year. Works great!

How long do you let it compost before using it on your garden?

We just use scoops from the previous years pile when we’re planting then after we tear out the garden put the entire remaining pile in and till. It takes many months to no longer be hot. Basically when it looks like dirt/potting soil is when we use it.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Some plants like a hotter manure... not steaming hot but before it looks like dirt.. tomatoes, peppers, squash are some... Onions, garlic, lettuce, cabbage, a bit older is better.. Carrots usually don't need any, VERY old if you do though
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 am

OK - you guys are confusing me. My first thought was "I'll ask Ken", but as most of you know - that ain't going to happen LOL.
Anyway, are you saying if you spray your pastures with Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, it will pass thru to their manure? Is this true if you graze too soon or just anytime thru the summer? What is it doing to the meat?
I am NOT a health nut, don't believe in organic anything, but really surprised on this???
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 11, 2018 6:27 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:OK - you guys are confusing me. My first thought was "I'll ask Ken", but as most of you know - that ain't going to happen LOL.
Anyway, are you saying if you spray your pastures with Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, it will pass thru to their manure? Is this true if you graze too soon or just anytime thru the summer? What is it doing to the meat?
I am NOT a health nut, don't believe in organic anything, but really surprised on this???

The manure is grass. Yes the residual herbicide can stay in the grass / manure.
Although the realistic residual staying power in grazon is more like 3- 6 months not year's.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 am

Darn "heart" still won't work - errr.
Thanks!
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Darn "heart" still won't work - errr.
Thanks!

Jeanne:
1. Click the heart.
2. It will most likely bring up a page that says something like this:
{"toggle_action":"add","toggle_post":"1504610"}
3. Hit the 'back' button. It will return you right back to the page/post where you were wanting to do the 'heart' thing.
4. Now, hit 'refresh'. That will make your heart entry show up as soon as the page re-loads.
5 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:OK - you guys are confusing me. My first thought was "I'll ask Ken", but as most of you know - that ain't going to happen LOL.

Nothing is happening to the meat. Dow would not have gotten a registration and a label if it had shown up in the meat. The herbicide can pass through the cow and is in the manure. In the early 1980's when Grazon P+D came on board, I saw damage to vegetable gardens where the owners had applied barnyard manure.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 11, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks for the info - also a BIG THANKS for getting the "heart" to work. Kind of a pain, but works.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”