using cow $hit as compost

The place to start if you are new!
Nicklausjames
Cowhand
Cowhand

using cow $hit as compost

Postby Nicklausjames » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I have a bunch of cow crap that has been sitting in my field the past year. I was planning on cleaning up as much of it as I can. Is it still valuable as compost since it has been sitting in the elements out in the open for the past year?
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Re: using cow $hit as compost

Postby BC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

It certainly will work. It will have lost about half the nitrogen in that amount of time but the P and K are still there. Straight cow manure doesn't compost too well as you will have a hard time getting and keeping enough air in it. And mixing old hay, straw, and sawdust into it help keep it loose will cause your C to N ratio to be off. It will help a garden barring any issues with past herbicides. Mostly by increasing the organic mater in the soil.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

BC wrote:What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.

That is affirmative! Where I used to work, they brought a truck-load of manure to the veggie area, and it killed off half of what was planted.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
BC wrote:What are you wanting to use it on? If you are wanting to use it in a vegetable garden and you sprayed Grazon P+D or GrazonNext, there is a chance that the residual herbicide could be in the manure and get your broadleaf plants.

That is affirmative! Where I used to work, they brought a truck-load of manure to the veggie area, and it killed off half of what was planted.

There is an herbicide named Clorperalid (sp) that gets used on grain crops. Use that straw in compost and it will sure kill all the peas and beans.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”