Any supplements/treats out there that is ok for grassfed folks?

The place to start if you are new!
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Any supplements/treats out there that is ok for grassfed folks?

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 am

fasttommy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:You can't feed alfalfa or clover to beef that's supposedly 100% grass fed.

Pretty sure this is off the mark.

https://hayandforage.com/article-1525-g ... ences.html
https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/ethno ... ains.shtml
I was just screwing around but......the fact is a legume is not a grass. There's a big difference between being 100% grass fed and 100% pasture raised. The grass fed group is on the side that facts really don't matter unless it's in their best interest.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 am

Corn, wheat, barley, oats, etc. are all grasses.
0 x

Angus86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus86 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm

I share a bull with a family member. They grain feed him daily. When he’s on my pasture for breeding 90 days he doesn’t get fed at all. All pasture only and free choice mineral. Your buddy needs to relax. If that bull jumps the fence after someone else’s cows or fresh grass he’s going to wish a simple bucket of grain would bring him home.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Sorry, but your "friend" is being ridiculous. Why should you sacrifice the feed quality of your herd? Your "friend" is not selling the bull in packages of meat - he is using his sperm - period.
He should be able to do with the bull as he wants when the bull is at his farm. He should not be able to dictate to you how to manage the bull when he is at your place.
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but can he give you ANY scientific PROOF that grass fed beef is healthier for anyone? The only research I have ever seen was out of Texas A&M and it did NOT prove grass fed was better - it actually proved that the more grain the animal was fed, the more "good stuff" was in the hamburg.
Read the following article to the end. This is the final statement:
"So, at this point, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims that ground beef from grass-fed cattle is a healthier alternative to ground beef from conventionally raised, grain-fed cattle."
https://animalscience.tamu.edu/2013/12/ ... it-matter/
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 25, 2018 11:18 am

Note - this is university research - not private with an axe to grind. And, notice it is the same % fat hamburg being compared. All too many times "facts" will be quoted that don't have research behind it OR the fat content was not the same.
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I personally don’t care grass vs grain. I’m going to supplement with alfalfa pellets.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 26, 2018 7:08 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I personally don’t care grass vs grain. I’m going to supplement with alfalfa pellets.

Why not buy some baled alfalfa?? It will be much higher quality and probably will cost less than a 50 lb. bag of alfalfa pellets. There is a reason alfalfa is dehydrated, ground and then pelletized....it was crappy low quality alfalfa, off color, probably rained on and cut late but in a pellet is better than nothing.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

What is grass fed varies with every label. Some allow flax seed, some allow beet byproduct, some allow apples... Most "processed in USA" grass fed comes from South America and I have no idea what they do. It is not cool.

I give my bulls beer in the summer for a special treat. It seems to make them happy.
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 am

Effective 2016 the USDA has no official definition of "Grass Fed".
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:18 pm

I question why you would partner on a bull with someone that has a different management philosophy than you do. This is something you probably should have talked over before you went into a partnership with them on the bull. I don't know your operation but if you do any kind of AI then collecting the bull and just using him AI instead of a walking herd sire might be an option.

We've sold some bulls recently where the buyer had the bull collected and froze semen on because they wanted to maximize on their investment. One of the bulls we sold this year the buyer collected over 200 straws and bred about 100 commercial cows to him in addition to whatever he will service in the pasture. We usually collect our walking herd sires before we sell them as we like to have the ability to go back and use a sire years later that has produced productive females for us.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 am

SPH wrote:We've sold some bulls recently where the buyer had the bull collected and froze semen on because they wanted to maximize on their investment. One of the bulls we sold this year the buyer collected over 200 straws and bred about 100 commercial cows to him in addition to whatever he will service in the pasture.

I have herd of guys doing this to justify buying a very expensive young bull. The thing I don't understand is if you want to AI a couple hundred cows - - why you would not use a proven AI sire rather than a young bull?
1 x
Stocker Steve

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
SPH wrote:We've sold some bulls recently where the buyer had the bull collected and froze semen on because they wanted to maximize on their investment. One of the bulls we sold this year the buyer collected over 200 straws and bred about 100 commercial cows to him in addition to whatever he will service in the pasture.

I have heard of guys doing this to justify buying a very expensive young bull. The thing I don't understand is if you want to AI a couple hundred cows - - why you would not use a proven AI sire rather than a young bull?

That's how we use AI in our registered purebred herd is trying to identify some proven AI sires and bloodlines to breed to as we usually breed around 20 females a year and try to AI around half of them. Most of our herd bulls lately have been bulls out of some of our best cows by a proven AI sire that is an outcross bloodline.

I can assure you this bull was not an expensive purchase for the buyer. The bull sold for a fair market private treaty price to another in-state Hereford breeder who also owns a large feedlot and commercial operation and runs a bull test along with 2 other Hereford breeders who have their own spring bull sale so they did their research into him before buying. Our junior herd sire is a 7/8 brother to the bull they bought. They probably have someone on staff that does their AI so between the purchase price and cost to collect him being able to AI him to a bunch of their commercial cows through AI they probably will re-coup their investment on him pretty quickly. The other bull we sold that the buyer collected is a commercial breeder with mostly commercial black Angus females and he's wanting to get into the black baldy market which is bringing good prices around here so he figured since he already does some AI why not collect the bull he bought and get more baldy calves right away than only getting about 15-20 calves sired by him naturally as a yearling walking the pasture.

Some of the commercial guys that buy bulls from us over the years sell all their calves as feeders so they know what is selling well at the sale barn as that is their source of income and wouldn't be buying Hereford bulls if they were not making them money. The other year dad and I spent a day driving around the state visiting some herds we sold bulls to over the years and 1 guy in particular had some really nice black baldy heifer calves out of some commercial Angus cows. We asked him what his plans were for them. He doesn't keep anything as he pretty much sells off all his calves as he doesn't have a place to winter calves and will buy females in the spring. It's a shame he couldn't winter those baldy heifers and breed them to another cross and sell them as bred heifers the next fall because we were very impressed with his calves and dad even mentioned on the drive home if we had more room at our place over the winter and summer to take on another 10 head or more he would have liked to buy some of those baldy heifers after they weaned and marketed them the next fall as bred heifers as they probably would have netted a nice profit.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:41 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I have herd of guys doing this to justify buying a very expensive young bull. The thing I don't understand is if you want to AI a couple hundred cows - - why you would not use a proven AI sire rather than a young bull?

Yes, this will spread the high purchase price of a young bull over more cows.

But why, when you could use a proven AI stud bull?
1 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:14 pm

If I am going to go through the extra work to AI, I want the best possible bull going in those cows.
2 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:38 pm

We discussed this before entering into our purchase. Our management styles as far as grass/grain are different but we both knew that going in. This is not a cheap bull and being able to get the quality he brings for essentially half price, plus only having to have him on farm for half of the year is a big win-win for both of us.
2 x

Return to “Beginners Board”