"heifer puts her head up" what does that mean?

The place to start if you are new!
pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

"heifer puts her head up" what does that mean?

Postby pdubdo » Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Subject line is my question :). I assume this means they're ornery but does it have a more specific meaning? Thanks!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: "heifer puts her head up" what does that mean?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Generally, if they are "too" "perky", they are high strung, nervous, potential explosion waiting to happen. They can disrupt your whole herd. Some are just inquisitive. You can tell the difference!!!!
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Agree with Jeanne. They are called "high headed". Bad trait because most buyers see it right off the bat.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pdubdo » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks!
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon May 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I basically agree, but what are you doing when she puts her head up? Have you just gotten them(her) into a catch pen? Are you using a dog that she is unfamiliar with? We have several cows that LITERALLY HATE Dogs, and their calves have learned from them. They will run a dog down like it is going to eat them or their calves. Great protection for coyote problems and I don't discriminate for that. But if you are just going out in the pasture and up comes her head and watches your every move, or she comes in a pen and the head is up looking for a way out.... time to be someone elses problem. Jeanne is right... they will get a whole group to want to run out the gate, and keep them on high alert.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 pm

It means she is trying to get a better view of her surroundings, usually because something is troubling her.
Why depends on the circumstances.
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 am

What are the circumstances surrounding the gesture?

Its not always a bad thing.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

If she just pops her head up and stays put,,its when they pop up,and high tails it, When you need to be concerned..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

She's full.

Better answer than several above
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

callmefence wrote:She's full.

Andy, this is the one that was High Headed! Fire Sweep saw her. When a stranger would come around, her head would go up like a rocket on 4th of July. Any step toward her, and off she went.

Her Sire is Uno Mas. Seems to be a string of these out of him. I sold a bull to a guy in Tennessee. He saw her when he came to get the bull. Loved her markings. I firmly told him she was "high headed". He stepped toward her and off she went. He still persisted. I sold her at a discount.

She had a calf about 2 months ago. They love her and he said she settled in but still does not like strangers. I am going to stick with the "High Headed" concept.
0 x
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Andy, this is the one that was High Headed! Fire Sweep saw her. When a stranger would come around, her head would go up like a rocket on 4th of July. Any step toward her, and off she went.

Her Sire is Uno Mas. Seems to be a string of these out of him. I sold a bull to a guy in Tennessee. He saw her when he came to get the bull. Loved her markings. I firmly told him she was "high headed". He stepped toward her and off she went. He still persisted. I sold her at a discount.

She had a calf about 2 months ago. They love her and he said she settled in but still does not like strangers. I am going to stick with the "High Headed" concept.

Looks to me like she's positively glaring at you. Nope, buh-buy! Glad they're happy with her but kudos to you/your honesty for selling her at a discount.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 15, 2018 6:02 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Looks to me like she's positively glaring at you. Nope, buh-buy! Glad they're happy with her but kudos to you/your honesty for selling her at a discount.

Ask Fire Sweep what she did the day she was here. Kris insisted that I halter her and she said she could handle her. I warned her. I got the halter on her and led her toward Kris. When she got within 40 feet, she threw a fit. Sometimes you have to show someone!
1 x
Diogenes.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm

She aint that bad if you put a halter on her.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Ask Fire Sweep what she did the day she was here. Kris insisted that I halter her and she said she could handle her. I warned her. I got the halter on her and led her toward Kris. When she got within 40 feet, she threw a fit. Sometimes you have to show someone!

a real outlaw it sounds like......raven I don't consider a cow being a little high headed to be genitically inferior. I meen I don't want it to be like a dam deer, but just because shes alert and dosent want to be combed and haltered is of no concen to me. when you get down to it...id say its more dangerous to have a herd that wants to sit in your lap . I would prefer them give me a little space. they don't have tobe silly to hurt you and rember. if one of your girls slings her head at fly while your hugging her neck...and catches you in the temple with her topknot. you fall in green grass they just graze around your lifeless body like you never existed. like brute said its not always a bad thing. it can be a signof a healthy , smart and high vigor cow. they almost always have and raise good calves. you just probably wont get to watch. I know you and firesweep cater to a different crowd. but in all honesty in the beef industry as a whole. you are the ones on the fringes............my apologies for spelling and puncation. horrible even for me. I cant get along with this new machine.lol
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

a real outlaw it sounds like......raven I don't consider a cow being a little high headed to be genitically inferior. I meen I don't want it to be like a dam deer, but just because shes alert and dosent want to be combed and haltered is of no concen to me. when you get down to it...id say its more dangerous to have a herd that wants to sit in your lap . I would prefer them give me a little space. they don't have tobe silly to hurt you and rember. if one of your girls slings her head at fly while your hugging her neck...and catches you in the temple with her topknot. you fall in green grass they just graze around your lifeless body like you never existed. like brute said its not always a bad thing. it can be a signof a healthy , smart and high vigor cow. they almost always have and raise good calves. you just probably wont get to watch. I know you and firesweep cater to a different crowd. but in all honesty in the beef industry as a whole. you are the ones on the fringes............my apologies for spelling and puncation. horrible even for me. I cant get along with this new machine.lol

I agree 100%. This heifer would not fit for the folks who show cattle but Max doesn't need that and most producers don't.

Regarding getting hurt. I have come closer to having a cow pushed over me by another cow than anything else.

Cattle have a very unique place in human culture. Having been to Africa and always being fond of cattle, I noticed how close people there are to their cattle. In Asia and the middle East, I think the relationship that cattle have with man reaches its ultimate. The relationship there is like dogs are in US society. Those people love their cattle.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Beginners Board”