Starting with Longhorn

The place to start if you are new!
ge91
Beginner
Beginner

Starting with Longhorn

Postby ge91 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Looking into Longhorn breed. Looking for something that is an easy calver, pretty docile/easy on fences, disease resistant and makes use of marginal land. From what I have seen from research this is the breed that I want.

Planning to start with some steers and go from there. Anyone here actually raise them and be available for some questions?

Thanks!
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Starting with Longhorn

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 pm

We have a handful of LH cows. Good money makers, and check all of your criteria. You shouldn't have any calving trouble out of those steers. LOL Welcome to the forum! Very shortly, there will be a crew along to tell you that you are wrong. Just ignore them....They live in the box.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 pm

:welcome: Raise what you want and have fun with them.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 pm

corriente are alot like longhorn but are better in my opinion because they are smaller and tougher, you can run more corrientes on the same land as longhorns you might look into them as well
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 am

the long horns I have seen around here do not meet one criteria.....
they were not easy on fences...
jump a fence similar in style to a deer but drag the rear end to pull the fence down...
helped some guys catch a long horn bull one time and he could have had a career as a stadium jumping horse...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 am

MtnCows93 wrote:corriente are alot like longhorn but are better in my opinion because they are smaller and tougher, you can run more corrientes on the same land as longhorns you might look into them as well

But your going to need a horse to get them from your neighbors place......about as bad as goats...;)
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 am

If you start with a couple steers and see if they are the breed you like you can get more.. if not get a different breed and try again.
You are not married to them. If you don't like them sell them and get something different. If you do keep the breed and keep going.
0 x
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 am

pdfangus wrote:the long horns I have seen around here do not meet one criteria.....
they were not easy on fences...
jump a fence similar in style to a deer but drag the rear end to pull the fence down...
helped some guys catch a long horn bull one time and he could have had a career as a stadium jumping horse...

Bulls, of any breed, are hard on fence. Speaking of bulls, good pic of your old bull on your blog. Big rascal!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 pm

ge91 wrote:Looking into Longhorn breed. Looking for something that is an easy calver, pretty docile/easy on fences, disease resistant and makes use of marginal land. From what I have seen from research this is the breed that I want.

Planning to start with some steers and go from there. Anyone here actually raise them and be available for some questions?

Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88724&hilit=longhorn
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Good idea to start with some steers, still may be a good idea to get them from a reputable breeder. I recently bought a longhorn heifer, and am considering a couple more possibly for a sideline niche beef project in the future. With this young heifer, I am seeing that the horns are going to not be conducive with conventional working facilities. So looking into some specialized handling equipment maybe worth while as well in decision making. For here we are not crazy about dealing with horned cattle so some think I am crazy for bringing even one in. I will likely not bring in many more. Even with gentle cattle horns add a degree of danger when working with them.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm

ge91 wrote:Looking into Longhorn breed. Looking for something that is an easy calver, pretty docile/easy on fences, disease resistant and makes use of marginal land. From what I have seen from research this is the breed that I want.

Thanks!

I've got about 20 head, just a sideline project to raise some for the kids to rope. What part of the country you in?
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 pm

1982vett wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:corriente are alot like longhorn but are better in my opinion because they are smaller and tougher, you can run more corrientes on the same land as longhorns you might look into them as well

But your going to need a horse to get them from your neighbors place......about as bad as goats...;)

true that would be a issue, id want some hot fences maybe even electric barbwire, ive got some of that and they wont even get near it
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am

Some heart doctor in Fort Worth is telling his patient that he can eat all the beef he wants - provided it is LH

The guy was a regular customer buying a steer from me each year. He has now asked me for a LH steer and I don't have one. Maybe he has found a source now. Haven't heard from him in a while.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

toprowguy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby toprowguy » Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 am

Started with our first longhorns this past August in NJ on about 26 acres. Purchased a bred cow with a calf, bred heifer, and a half interest in a bull. Since have calved a heifer and a bull this spring. Have enjoyed all of the new experiences with raising these longhorns.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am

backhoeboogie wrote:Some heart doctor in Fort Worth is telling his patient that he can eat all the beef he wants - provided it is LH

Getting a little off topic but.......
My cardiologist told me the same thing, except just said red meat and beef..didn't specify a breed..
He said people have heart and cholesterol/triglyceride problems, change their diet, increase their physical exercise and often go too far the other way. Mine actually told me, after looking at my diet, to "The exercise thing is good, but lay off all that dam lean pork and chicken breasts and eat more beef, you need to build blood".
My b-i-l's cardiologist told him the same thing, said he was getting anemic which really pizzed my sister off since she's a devout chicken meat fanatic. I don't think I've ever been to her house she didn't serve some kind of braised or baked chicken breast.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Beginners Board”