Starting with Longhorn

The place to start if you are new!
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Starting with Longhorn

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 am

greybeard wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:Some heart doctor in Fort Worth is telling his patient that he can eat all the beef he wants - provided it is LH

Getting a little off topic but.......
My cardiologist told me the same thing, except just said red meat and beef..didn't specify a breed..
He said people have heart and cholesterol/triglyceride problems, change their diet, increase their physical exercise and often go too far the other way. Mine actually told me, after looking at my diet, to "The exercise thing is good, but lay off all that dam lean pork and chicken breasts and eat more beef, you need to build blood".
My b-i-l's cardiologist told him the same thing, said he was getting anemic which really pizzed my sister off since she's a devout chicken meat fanatic. I don't think I've ever been to her house she didn't serve some kind of braised or baked chicken breast.

We're still fattening out steers but only for ourselves. I hatched out 185 chicks and about half are roosters. I suspect I will be eating much more chicken myself but it is only a temporary thing - for now.

People are getting more into lean beef so I suspect the LH market could fill a glitch. Not my cup of tea. The LH breed has survived all these years. They can sustain themselves on lower grade forage, as noted by the original post. Low maintenance and they can fill a nitch market need too.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 am

I don't know anyone around here that raises LH specifically for beef..just for roping calves and the 'curiosity/front pasture/horns/decorative' thing.
Brahma influenced breeds and char cross are king here in this county.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed May 23, 2018 10:20 am

OwnedByTheCow wrote:If you start with a couple steers and see if they are the breed you like you can get more.. if not get a different breed and try again.
You are not married to them. If you don't like them sell them and get something different. If you do keep the breed and keep going.

Excellent advice. It gives me hope for the younger generation.
1 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Return to “Beginners Board”