Bud Box

The place to start if you are new!
Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bud Box

Postby Tbrake » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I love mine. Made it 12’x 24’. Only time I don’t like it is if there are some fighty ones in the group. My alley is 24’+ the chute, so I bring 4-5 cows or 6 or 7 calves. Makes it a breeze by myself.
Occasionally I will have a stubborn one, but usually I can circle them again and they will go
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm

I have far more problems with stuborn cows/ calves diving their head in the V of a sweep. With the bud box there is no where for them to jam up in.

The only thing I fault the bud box on is if you are a one man operation there is more walking involved than the sweep.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:20 am

I'm sorry - not picking on anyone, but pointing out an obvious fact. Breeds may make a difference.
And I totally agree with the concept. I think 90-95% of the time it should be absolutely great. And once you are locked in to a system, you make it work.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:39 am

Cattle that are super tame are always harder to work IMO, no matter the breed, because its hard to get them moving and you hate to get rough with them. No matter what kind of facilities you have, if they don't want to move its a pia.

I got rid of one bull because he was a handful when you tried to work him. Now my bulls are soooo tame you can't hardly move them. I have to literally walk them with feed buckets in to the trailer or have cows they can follow. Its just as much of a pain as the the flighty bull was.

The ideal situation is the cattle get use to what ever facility you have and just go because they are use to it. I bet 60% or better of our cattle just start taking off down the chutes no matter if its a sweep or bud box. That's my favorite way. :cowboy: I was watching a Temple Grandin video where she talked about not letting the cattle just bust out the end of the chute and take off at a run. A lot of our places do not have the facilities to hold all the cattle that have been worked after so you are turning them back out in the pasture when you are done. I started throwing a handful or two of cubes on the ground before I open the chute and I think its really helping. One, it puts other cows "at the end of the tunnel" so it helps keep the ones in the pens heading that way, two, its kind of a treat for a job well done. A lot of the cattle have started just hanging out close to the pens after they are done, laying around. IMO, thats a good sign.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:31 pm

I release all my cows back into the holding pen after we work them. IMO It's good insurance you never know when one might have a bad reaction to something. After a couple hours they're free to go.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Cattle that are super tame are always harder to work IMO, no matter the breed, because its hard to get them moving and you hate to get rough with them. No matter what kind of facilities you have, if they don't want to move its a pia.

I got rid of one bull because he was a handful when you tried to work him. Now my bulls are soooo tame you can't hardly move them. I have to literally walk them with feed buckets in to the trailer or have cows they can follow. Its just as much of a pain as the the flighty bull was.

The ideal situation is the cattle get use to what ever facility you have and just go because they are use to it. I bet 60% or better of our cattle just start taking off down the chutes no matter if its a sweep or bud box. That's my favorite way. :cowboy: I was watching a Temple Grandin video where she talked about not letting the cattle just bust out the end of the chute and take off at a run. A lot of our places do not have the facilities to hold all the cattle that have been worked after so you are turning them back out in the pasture when you are done. I started throwing a handful or two of cubes on the ground before I open the chute and I think its really helping. One, it puts other cows "at the end of the tunnel" so it helps keep the ones in the pens heading that way, two, its kind of a treat for a job well done. A lot of the cattle have started just hanging out close to the pens after they are done, laying around. IMO, thats a good sign.

I have that problem with my cows, they are very hard to move from one yard to the next by myself or even with my wife but fortunately my dog Jed is waiting just outside the yards for my signal and then they all move. I rarely let Jed get at them but once he is there the cows know and they move on. It is much better than me flogging them.

My bulls are the same and I think it is much safer for me to have the dogs there and the bulls moving freely than for me to have a confrontation with a bull that someday he might just decide he is a lot bigger than me.

Ken
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Way before I ever heard of or saw a design for a Bud Box I built a pen to load my sweep. Turned out it was a 12x30 Bud Box. It sure worked good. So I guess I had both. And liked both of them.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Dave wrote:Way before I ever heard of or saw a design for a Bud Box I built a pen to load my sweep. Turned out it was a 12x30 Bud Box. It sure worked good. So I guess I had both. And liked both of them.
Exactly , incorporate different ideas , to fit your needs , herd. Everyone has different specifics, from breed , to the way they are handled, to the number of head, or experience . If you are on foot , 12 ft is the maximum width for moving cattle , well documented .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

anewcomer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby anewcomer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 pm

You will not be happy with a Bud Box unless you understand how to work cattle correctly. Google Bud Williams.
2 x

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Are there any reference sites that show overhead drawings?

I need to build a system and I'm reading all the reference material I can, including threads like this.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:50 pm

ZachinCO wrote:Are there any reference sites that show overhead drawings?

I need to build a system and I'm reading all the reference material I can, including threads like this.

As stated above, Google is your friend. Lots of good videos on YouTube.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Been finding some better ones, just have to know how to feed the google machine properly.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 pm

ZachinCO wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Been finding some better ones, just have to know how to feed the google machine properly.

The key is to keep the wording simple. Dont over think it or try to fancy it up. Start generic and then get more specific.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”