Replacements

The place to start if you are new!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Replacements

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:13 am

He is black. Most heteroblack calves are that color until they shed out their baby hair. Generally, the nose, eyes, tail are more black looking than the body. That is a common color in my herd of calves, LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks. I ask a lot of questions. Trying to learn all I can. My dad does it do it old school , cheap cows, black bull and sell is March. It works for him because he has 1,000 acres of hay and they eat left over hay. Question, how do Sim-Angus calves turn out ? Weaning weights? I have a few big angus cows and thinking of ai one and keeping it if it’s a bull. Thanks
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 am

Sim-Angus is about the hottest crossbreds around. They make great feedlot calves and super momma cows. Should increase weaning weights. If you keep the steers to finish for freezer, you will be able to get great marbling with less outside fat.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:24 pm

And here we are 3 mths later , 3 little pigs

3 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Cutest little pigs I've seen lately..... :lol2: I think they look nice and will make decent nice calm replacements.
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I hope so, haven't been able to catch the black one in heat yet , so I'm a little worried about her, the other two there is no doubt . I'll take them to the bull after thanksgiving , when we work the rest . And hes had a little rest .
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Some of them don't show it much, but the bull will know!
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm

snoopdog wrote:I hope so, haven't been able to catch the black one in heat yet , so I'm a little worried about her, the other two there is no doubt . I'll take them to the bull after thanksgiving , when we work the rest . And hes had a little rest .

Any outside chance she got to a bull before now? Or was she on her momma and the bull was still in there breeding the cows? Had one get bred at about 9 months, never knew it until too late to abort...she had it fine and is still in the herd but she definitely was too young to be bred in my book. It happens.
If you don't see any heats you need to get her palpated by a vet, so you know her status; or just hope she is a "silent heat" type of heifer. Have a few of them too.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:00 pm

farmerjan wrote:
snoopdog wrote:I hope so, haven't been able to catch the black one in heat yet , so I'm a little worried about her, the other two there is no doubt . I'll take them to the bull after thanksgiving , when we work the rest . And hes had a little rest .

Any outside chance she got to a bull before now? Or was she on her momma and the bull was still in there breeding the cows? Had one get bred at about 9 months, never knew it until too late to abort...she had it fine and is still in the herd but she definitely was too young to be bred in my book. It happens.
If you don't see any heats you need to get her palpated by a vet, so you know her status; or just hope she is a "silent heat" type of heifer. Have a few of them too.
I feel pretty sure she is the silent type , but I have been fooled before .
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”