NEED IDEAS TO CAPTURE CALVES

The place to start if you are new!
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: NEED IDEAS TO CAPTURE CALVES

Postby farmerjan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Congrats on getting them all. I know you feel better that they are away from the main roadway.

NAH, none of us ever get in a hurry...... :hide: :hide: :roll: :roll:
1 x

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am

Glad you got them caught. We’ve gone as far as putting a P.O. up turkey blind up and hiding someone in it to close the gates. They get used to the blind after a week or so. Now they will trail as far as I need them to with a feed bag shaking. We feed once a week. Even the most flighty High headed of the cows will come in now. Still get a few Hold out calves when we go to catch them up, but we just get them next time.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:03 am

hillbilly beef man wrote:
sstterry wrote:
snoopdog wrote:We all know the frustration , but be calm, always . I think there is mention somewhere in the archives about us men , and how our tempers seem to ruin things . If all else fails , dart em.

It is harder than hades to get the medication for darting them these days.

How long does it for one to drop after they have been shot?

In my experience every one is different. Some take off running full speed. Some amble off. Some are in between. As a general rule 100-200 yards is fairly average. Sometimes you have to shoot em twice and then use reverser to wake them back up. Seems some require more tranquilizer than others. I have a dart gun and I really like it, especially for treating calves. The only ones I’ve ever put to sleep belonged to someone else and were out and running wild along the highways. We dart em, load em, and then they usually take them back to the same place they just got out of :lol2:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Beginners Board”