Another mineral question

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Another mineral question

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:31 am

I bought some the other day , they were out of my regular stuff . It's an ADM product , Summer fly mineral . Normally I don't use the fly stuff just spray permethrin mix topically and back rubs. When I got home I read the tag, and it contains monensin, with a warning , and my interpretation is that it's made to be mixed with feed . Has anyone used this product as free choice? I certainly don't need any preventable mortality . I can take it back .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29656
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Another mineral question

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 pm

snoopdog wrote:I bought some the other day , they were out of my regular stuff . It's an ADM product , Summer fly mineral . Normally I don't use the fly stuff just spray permethrin mix topically and back rubs. When I got home I read the tag, and it contains monensin, with a warning , and my interpretation is that it's made to be mixed with feed . Has anyone used this product as free choice? I certainly don't need any preventable mortality . I can take it back .

The warning is probably for horses. Monensin is fed to cattle almost from birth. It increases feed utilization thus increasing the rate of gain. What is the level of Monensin shown on the tag.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Another mineral question

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:
snoopdog wrote:I bought some the other day , they were out of my regular stuff . It's an ADM product , Summer fly mineral . Normally I don't use the fly stuff just spray permethrin mix topically and back rubs. When I got home I read the tag, and it contains monensin, with a warning , and my interpretation is that it's made to be mixed with feed . Has anyone used this product as free choice? I certainly don't need any preventable mortality . I can take it back .

The warning is probably for horses. Monensin is fed to cattle almost from birth. It increases feed utilization thus increasing the rate of gain. What is the level of Monensin shown on the tag.
Ill check tomorrow
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Another mineral question

Postby cjmc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 pm

This is a result of our exceptionally functional government. If a company adds IGR only in a mineral the EPA adds all these crazy regulations that nobody wants to deal with. So feed companies add monensin to their igr mineral, monensin is a drug and therefore regulated by the FDA. The FDA's regulations take president over the EPA's crazy regulations so the feed companies get to ignore the EPA regulations and just follow the FDA's. For instance if I recall correctly to sell an IGR only from a feed store it must be stored separately from everything else in a biosecure area. The monensin level should be whatever the FDA approved monensin to be fed at for cattle on grass, at worst the increased feed efficiency should at least pay for the added mineral cost. Keep an eye on intake though, monensin is known to be unpalatable. The warning is probably for the concentrated drug itself (rumensin 90) it must be mixed before being fed, which it probably has been by the feed company. Should be between 50 & 200 mg monensin/hd/d (FDA regulation). So assuming 50 lb. Bag and 4oz intake the tag should read between 625-2,500 mg monensin.
1 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29656
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Another mineral question

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am

cjmc wrote:This is a result of our exceptionally functional government. If a company adds IGR only in a mineral the EPA adds all these crazy regulations that nobody wants to deal with. So feed companies add monensin to their igr mineral, monensin is a drug and therefore regulated by the FDA. The FDA's regulations take president over the EPA's crazy regulations so the feed companies get to ignore the EPA regulations and just follow the FDA's. For instance if I recall correctly to sell an IGR only from a feed store it must be stored separately from everything else in a biosecure area. The monensin level should be whatever the FDA approved monensin to be fed at for cattle on grass, at worst the increased feed efficiency should at least pay for the added mineral cost. Keep an eye on intake though, monensin is known to be unpalatable. The warning is probably for the concentrated drug itself (rumensin 90) it must be mixed before being fed, which it probably has been by the feed company. Should be between 50 & 200 mg monensin/hd/d (FDA regulation). So assuming 50 lb. Bag and 4oz intake the tag should read between 625-2,500 mg monensin.

I've never seen a problem with including one or both in a mineral especially as long as you have the proper inclusion rates for the purpose disclosed and all required disclosures for each ingredient.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Another mineral question

Postby snoopdog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:38 pm

200mg per lb, so 50 mg per day , is what the tag says . Calibrated for 1050 to 1500 lb cows , so I think it's alright ,my guys at the feed store are pretty knowledgeable , it was just different and kinda caught me off gaurd , thanks for the replies .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests