More marbeling on grass vs dry hay?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

More marbeling on grass vs dry hay?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 am

This statement was made by someone on Facebook and I can't find any support for it. So I thought I'd throw it out here. I was asking the question if more age leads to more marbeling and this person agreed that it does, but also mentioned that being on grass adds more marbeling than dry hay. True?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: More marbeling on grass vs dry hay?

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am

Not heard that but marbling or the lack there of is influenced by grain versus grass.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Not heard that but marbling or the lack there of is influenced by grain versus grass.

It's quite possible to achieve excellent marbling without feeding grain. It's harder to do then dumping grain in front of them but a T-bone with good marbling from a grass finished animal is hard to beat.
1 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:This statement was made by someone on Facebook and I can't find any support for it. So I thought I'd throw it out here. I was asking the question if more age leads to more marbeling and this person agreed that it does, but also mentioned that being on grass adds more marbeling than dry hay. True?

Depends on the hay and depends on the grass and depends on the animal....no blanket statement here.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Might want to replace the word "grass" with "forage" to widen the choices and hopefully make it easier.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:33 pm

1982vett wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:This statement was made by someone on Facebook and I can't find any support for it. So I thought I'd throw it out here. I was asking the question if more age leads to more marbeling and this person agreed that it does, but also mentioned that being on grass adds more marbeling than dry hay. True?

Depends on the hay and depends on the grass and depends on the animal....no blanket statement here.
and a whole lot on the animal..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 pm

I had not heard that before, thanks for the confirmation.
Last edited by NonTypicalCPA on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:05 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
1982vett wrote:

and a whole lot on the animal..

The animal has more to do with it than a lot of people realize. I have killed a many pot loads of fats and a load from the same feed lot, fed the same feed will all be different. Not saying feed does not play a part because it does ,mater of fact a big part, but that's not all that is involved to get good beef.
As for grass fed I don't care for it but I know some people do, just not my thing
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Some breeds just don't marble well ,like the British breeds do.no matter what, or how much you feed em...but then like gets said multiple times, a lot of difference within breeds too..got to select for it
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:10 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Not heard that but marbling or the lack there of is influenced by grain versus grass.

It's quite possible to achieve excellent marbling without feeding grain. It's harder to do then dumping grain in front of them but a T-bone with good marbling from a grass finished animal is hard to beat.

Even harder to find. ;-)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 pm

For grassfed animals, the breed is more important than for animals fed grain. I honestly cannot give a comparison as to grass vs hay. But with grass fed, the concentration of CLA's is greater and definitely a boost to the body. I eat 99% jersey beef. Most of it is grass fed and finished but I will do about 2-5 lbs grain a couple times a week in the process of making the animal easier to catch up in a catch pen. That can hardly be considered "feeding" an animal as grain fed. Age definitely does make a difference in the grass fed ones; an animal must put on a certain amount of growth before putting on weight "meat" , so age is a part of it. I like mine to be in the 26 +/- month range. You cannot get back things like backbones if the animal is over 30 months. National restrictions, due to the BSE situation with the 'prions' that are found in the mad cow disease. I find that the jerseys do marble good after about 20 months if they are gaining weight well. In fact jerseys are considered the 2nd best marbling breed after the Wagyu. So breed is a consideration, then feed. Some people don't like the more "earthy" taste of grassfed. I prefer it. One of the biggest things is the animal must be "gaining" weight on a consistent basis to get the best marbling and the best weight gain which will transfer into tenderness.
2 x

texan@heart
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby texan@heart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Marbling is determined by energy. If the hay is higher in caloric density then it will make the calf fatter. If it’s high quality grass then it will provide more TDN (total digestible nutrients)

Age contributes as a mature animal doesn’t use energy for skeletal growth.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:44 am

As mentioned, a specific feed does not determine marbling. Marbling is a bodily process involving growth, aging/maturity. When more nutrients are going into the body than what the body needs for growth, it will first start putting on a layer of OUTSIDE fat, then it will put fat around the organs, THEN it finally puts fat (marbling) within the meat. Specific breeds puts on fat deposit in different ways.
There is NO research that proves grass fed is better health wise than grain fed. Actually, all the research has proven grain fed is healthier. No one hears about that because it is not the BUZZ in the media.
Texas A&M has done the only research I am aware of comparing grass vs grain.
3 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”