bulls to criticize

Postby bird dog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 am

0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: bulls to criticize

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

They all look decent. Third one is probably the worst of the lot but he has the best top line.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Like the first bull up to his shoulder.. Pretty much goes to heck past there..like he was put together by the Obama administration ..personally I like the depth of the third one..
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

They are all what I call "piecey". Not one of them puts it all together quite the way I would want.
-Bull 1 has some masculinity and natural expression, with a pretty good leg and foot structure, but gets waaayyyy too tight in his heart girth and may be far too bold in his front third (the heart girth sucked in can make this look worse than it actually is, hard to tell from photos).
-Bull 2 is wayyyy round in his hip, pins are at wrong angle causing the round look and under set to hind legs. He also too tight in his heart girth and not deep enough in his chest floor. He is smooth made, but definitely not my pick of this group.
-Bull 3 is virtually a copy of bull 2 and has same issues, just has a touch more masculinity.
-Bull 4 is great---from his navel forward. His rear third is not pretty to look at (same issues with structure as bulls 2 and 3). He also breaks a touch in his topline just behind the shoulders.
My take away is that they may be worth looking at in person. Pictures do them little to no justice. They appear to be grain fed and are plenty fat, with little natural expression, keep that in mind. I also would like to see a group of Limi bulls actually show some breed character...these guys are pretty skimpy on that. If I had a group of easy doing angus COWS, I could see a use for bull 1. The rest are just not hitting the mark for me personally....
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Limflex I think. I know the owner.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. BootJack yours were very helpful going thru each animal. I considered going to look at them but I don't believe I will. There are some other respectable breeders with what seems to me to be better animals in the same price range. I am not very experienced when picking out a bull thus the question for comments. I want to see what you all look for from just the picture provided.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm

they all look ok, you can do alot better for 2500 bucks in my neck of the woods
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 pm

bird dog wrote:Thanks for the replies. BootJack yours were very helpful going thru each animal. I considered going to look at them but I don't believe I will. There are some other respectable breeders with what seems to me to be better animals in the same price range. I am not very experienced when picking out a bull thus the question for comments. I want to see what you all look for from just the picture provided.

When it comes to phenotype, I personally look at structure first. If there are faults in the way joints line up, shape of bone, etc. , age will not cure those. Beware excessive condition, fat hides a multitude of sins! Then I look for the all important (in bulls anyway) nuts, guts, buts. They either have it or they do not. After that, I want a bull with some style, masculinity and a smooth made appearance (no coarse joints, raw bone or a head like a railroad tie). Be cognizant of how the bull you are looking at is developed and cared for. They should be grown to maximize potential, without getting them lard fat. Hope this helps! :2cents:
2 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Return to “Beginners Board”