Working pen (small) 10 head

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14666
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 am

My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.
how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I’m building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.
1 x

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3529
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 am

Bfields30 wrote: how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I’m building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.


6 foot.
5 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14666
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 am

I agree with JMJ . 6 foot should be good for anything. I had 5 foot utility panels welded on drill stem and two sucker rods 5 inches apart above the panels. That put me at 5 foot 10 inches. I had char/brimmer F1's and lots of brangus. Existing cows weren't an issue but when you bring in new bloodlines, they tend to try the facility. All they really want to do is go home but they don't know where home is. A few days to settle always helps.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm

20x20 working pen would hold how many head
Vs a 30x 30 getting quotes on both this week.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 pm

One guy told me 20 dollar per foot for labor and pipe and one guy told me told me 2280 for a 2280 labor and pipe
0 x

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7952
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm

ClinchValley wrote:If there is any chance you'll have more cattle in the future, make it larger. You could always put a large trap before the pen starts. Slowly feed you pen from the larger trap. Keeps the pressure off your panels.

When I built ours last Fall, I asked every person around us for advice. Looked at theirs, asked what they would change if they could do it over. Got a lot of good ideas, some I used, some I wish had've. Ended up getting volunteer help even.

Like building anything, go 30-50 percent larger than you think you need at the present time.

But you still didn't look at the best one around. Lol
That's as good of advice as you can get. Lots of people here have looked at my pens just to get ideas. It might not be perfect for everyone but it's great for me
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:08 am

kenny thomas wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:If there is any chance you'll have more cattle in the future, make it larger. You could always put a large trap before the pen starts. Slowly feed you pen from the larger trap. Keeps the pressure off your panels.

When I built ours last Fall, I asked every person around us for advice. Looked at theirs, asked what they would change if they could do it over. Got a lot of good ideas, some I used, some I wish had've. Ended up getting volunteer help even.

Like building anything, go 30-50 percent larger than you think you need at the present time.

But you still didn't look at the best one around. Lol
That's as good of advice as you can get. Lots of people here have looked at my pens just to get ideas. It might not be perfect for everyone but it's great for me
yeah I’ve been asking and looking around What’s a good size catch pen and could i use barbed for the catch pen 5 lines of barb wire the main part as well I want a corral pen to wean calves This upcoming yr. I’ll do the catch pen myself and hire someone to do the welded pens.
0 x

User avatar
OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby OleScout » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 am

You don't want to use barb wire anywhere that you will be pushing cattle or where they realize they are being caught. My pen for the group that feeds the sorting alley is Bull panels over net wire, posts on 8' centers.
0 x


Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:52 pm

OleScout wrote:You don't want to use barb wire anywhere that you will be pushing cattle or where they realize they are being caught. My pen for the group that feeds the sorting alley is Bull panels over net wire, posts on 8' centers.
Electric would that work or heavy duty panels
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9173
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm

panels
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby OleScout » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Panels with wood posts.
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:22 pm

OleScout wrote:Panels with wood posts.

Heavy duty panels ??? Or the cattle panels ??? Do you have an example i could see please .
0 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests