Fencing full of Brush, etc.

The place to start if you are new!
south0085
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fencing full of Brush, etc.

Postby south0085 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

I have about 6 acres that I need to put some cows on. I just have a small hobby farm in Kentucky. Most of the lot has barb wire. Not the best in some places. But it other places, pretty good. No hot wires anywhere on it. I plan to fix the bad spots and leave the rest. In a perfect world, I would add one or two electric wires.

The problem is: it's ALL grown up with weeds, briars, trees, etc. Really badly.

I don't have the money to hire someone to come and clean it out for me. I don't really have the time to do it myself. I work another job full-time. What are my options?

Is the "pretty-good" fence that's already there, PLUS the brush that's grown up in it....enough to keep the cows contained? It's grown up really bad. A cow would have to run with all it's might to get past all of the brush. haha. I'm just new to this and didn't know if I still needed to redo the fence, or what. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Fencing full of Brush, etc.

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm

bush ax and some loppers to get in the spots where it needs repair , put a board on the tree to nail wire to and turn the cows loose . doesnt have to be pretty just has to work.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:14 pm

If it is difficult for them to get through it, they will stay as long as they have plenty to eat and drink (not speaking of bulls here).
3 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Agree with M-5 & sstterry. Another option is to wire some cattle panels across the bad spots & use fence stays where it sags. Unless your cows are wild &/or jumpers they should stay. I'd suggest giving them cubes or grain in addition to hay or whatever forage they have - at least initially, until they get to know you & look forward to seeing you (with goodies).
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:41 pm

If it were me, from what you've described, I'd do as stated by the others. I'd shore-up any & all bad spots and then let them have at it. They'll eat and stomp down a lot of the brush/weeds etc. As TC said, as long as they aren't wild & flighty cows, they ought to be alright.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:08 pm

When I first bought this place..my fences were pretty much just hedge rows...sprayed em all and killed em out.. Problem was they were the only thing holding the 50 year old barbwire ,, that and cedar posts that were down to the heart...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:11 pm

I do it all with a chainsaw - even the weeds - you get pretty good at sweeping with the chainsaw. Then hit the whole thing with RoundUp.

You might be busy but if you use all the weekends you can get in done in no time.

Cheers.
1 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Clear a path along he inside of the fence.Dad always said if you keep a path for them to walk,in they are more likely to use the path than to look elsewhere If you are still not sure about the fence holding,run a single strand of electric at the side of the path next to the fence about 28" high and hooked to a good 12 Volt DC or an AC charger.If that doesn't hold,you probably don't have enough grass or have cattle you don't want.
If it is all grown up in briars,you may have to bush hog this year and put cattle in next year.Some pics of the field would help.
I have 10 or twelve acres of overgrown grass and weeds I'm getting ready to turn 10 cows in on for a short while to eat what they can of the grass then bush hog it and let it regrow for late grazing.Fence on one side like you are talking about.On the far side that is open,I'm running a 9 polywire strand at about 30" hooked to a ParMak 12V Solar.They shouldn't get out b
ut,if they do,they are still on my place.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 am

place 2 hot wires more into your property in front of the brush. re fence the whole thing. when you have time.. clear the fence line.
2 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 am

You can spray the fence rows with a brush killer a couple years in a row and most of the stuff will rot away. If you are wanting to clean it up faster I'd wait till winter and use loppers and a chainsaw.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't and won't, but lots of people around here just let it grow up, especially all that tangled yaupon, but then, a storm comes in, blows down trees and you have to get in there and chop your way in to even find the fence to repair it because the tree trunk has opened up a path thru the crap for cows to get thru, and even if no tree falls, if there is just one little hole, they'll find it some dark cold rainy night.

Screw them &**T$##&* lopers....A good weedeater with a brush blade on it and a chain saw for the bigger stuff. Then roundup the crap out of it.

by ddd75 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 am
re fence the whole thing. when you have time.. clear the fence line.

He// yeah! We aren't talking about 300 acres here.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:24 pm

greybeard wrote:I don't and won't, but lots of people around here just let it grow up, especially all that tangled yaupon, but then, a storm comes in, blows down trees and you have to get in there and chop your way in to even find the fence to repair it because the tree trunk has opened up a path thru the crap for cows to get thru, and even if no tree falls, if there is just one little hole, they'll find it some dark cold rainy night.

Screw them &**T$##&* lopers....A good weedeater with a brush blade on it and a chain saw for the bigger stuff. Then roundup the crap out of it.

by ddd75 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 am
re fence the whole thing. when you have time.. clear the fence line.

He// yeah! We aren't talking about 300 acres here.

i have 3 strands (2 hot) going around my place about 150' in so I can clear the brush/ trees and build a nice fence. I just hay the sides right now.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:39 pm

In this place in time, I wouldn't dare put cows in a place without a continuous fence. You'd be amazed at what a cow will walk/push through(vegetation wise). Spray the overgrown fencelines with a mix of crossbow and roundup. Wait a week. Go back with a spool of barbed wire, fence posts, and your brand new blue gripple bag that your ordered from farm fence solutions and start making the repairs. Cattle are infinitely more enjoyable when you have decent fence. :2cents:
2 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 am

Fix the fence, that's part of it. After work or on the weekend , if there is a hole , a cow will find it .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:47 am

bball wrote:In this place in time, I wouldn't dare put cows in a place without a continuous fence. You'd be amazed at what a cow will walk/push through(vegetation wise). Spray the overgrown fencelines with a mix of crossbow and roundup. Wait a week. Go back with a spool of barbed wire, fence posts, and your brand new blue gripple bag that your ordered from farm fence solutions and start making the repairs. Cattle are infinitely more enjoyable when you have decent fence. :2cents:

The fence described along with some of the repairs are loose the farm fence here.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Return to “Beginners Board”